Charging my Gen 1 2020 Mg ZS it normally charges up to somewhere between 185 and 198 miles

Berty

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Charging my Gen 1 2020 Mg ZS it normally charges up to somewhere between 185 and 198 miles, i though they where only supposed to charge to about 165 miles, is anyone else charging their car up to 190 plus.

Yes, recently I have been getting the same on my Mk1. Unfortunately, the actual mileage available in reality remains at about 165.....

The GOM is predicting a range on the GOM that is based on historical driving data.
This considers your driving style / ambient temperature and use of the HVAC system etc.
Reset BOTH of your trips to see an estimated GOM range that matches be a little closer to a real world predicted range.

I got my MK1 in April, 32000 miles was giving full charge 189 miles, now dropped to 159 miles in the colder days. I reset the kw per hour (was 3.4kw) then it jumped slightly to 165 miles.... Still handles as Belfast to Dublin motorway trip with 40 mile left when you arrive.. (sticking to the speed limit of course 70 mph / 120 kmph ;-)

Our mk1 ZS reliably charges to 208-209 in the summer (with heating off and economy set). It's more like 195 in the winter.

Whatever it says take with a pinch of salt. In normal stop-start town driving we might get as many as 160 miles out of a charge before reaching the charge warning. 70mph motorway trips are more likely to return 100 miles.

We did a trip to the French alps in April, 600km each way. French charging infrastructure is brilliant. Two days each out and back, and stopping 3 times each day for charging (with an overnighter to start with a full battery). Generally about 100 miles between stops. Travelling at 60-65mph on the main roads rather than motorways.

The journey was stress free, very pleasant, and we saw a lot of France that is invisible when thrashing down the motorway, but the range was considerably reduced in the cold weather.

Charging my Gen 1 2020 Mg ZS it normally charges up to somewhere between 185 and 198 miles, i though they where only supposed to charge to about 165 miles, is anyone else charging their car up to 190 plus.
Charging my Gen 1 2020 Mg ZS it normally charges up to somewhere between 185 and 198 miles, i though they where only supposed to charge to about 165 miles, is anyone else charging their car up to 190 plus
My range is around 170-190 summer 150 winter or less. I have 35000 on clock and still on original battery software ie doors must be locked on fast charge. I have been reluctant to update as no apparent charging or battery issues yet…..ps I rarely rapid charge. Sadly I drive a diesel for long motorway journeys now as had too many rapid charge disasters! Probably my poor luck with dodgy gridserve!

Are all the the Mk 1 high charge readings in this thread in ECO or Normal driving mode as in the summer our car shows 5.2+ miles per Kwh but in Normal and in the recent warm weather we only get a reading of 159 miles on a full home charge whether it be on the Granny or Ohme home wall charger.

Are all the the Mk 1 high charge readings in this thread in ECO or Normal driving mode as in the summer our car shows 5.2+ miles per Kwh but in Normal and in the recent warm weather we only get a reading of 159 miles on a full home charge whether it be on the Granny or Ohme home wall charger.
Mine was eco agree with earlier GOM observation - only a rough guide

Mine always seems to come up at 168 all year round, unless I can’t be bothered to fully charge it but normally as I say 168 which isn’t the best but what do you expect ??

Yep, agree with everyone else.
Warm weather = higher mileage 180/201 (on your dashboard) the first sign of cold weather it drops to the standard 168 range.
Also uses up your battery quicker because you are using lights,heating etc. That you didn't use during the summer.

The cabin heater in the winter is the biggest consumer of range.
Not necessarily the blower motor, because that is powered by the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
It’s the heating element inside the heater box that is a hungry beast 🤣.
It will whip away 15 miles of your range straight away, just by the flick of a switch.

The cabin heater in the winter is the biggest consumer of range.
Not necessarily the blower motor, because that is powered by the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
It’s the heating element inside the heater box that is a hungry beast 🤣.
It will whip away 15 miles of your range straight away, just by the flick of a switch.
I agree. I have noticed this difference. When we first bought the car with 3000 miles on the clock it said 170 miles on a full charge. I could never work out why I never saw that high a number again. Come summer, I switched the heater of and opened the roof. The mileage on E jumped to 183 on a full charge.

There are many factors that affect the predicted range you are seeing in both summer and winter conditions.
Outside ambient temperature conditions plays a big part in what is predicted range by the GOM.
Cabin heater usage on a high setting in cold conditions are going to eat through your predicted range quickly.
The cabin heater at full kilter can be using 7 Kw’s of energy from your HV pack.
Remembering that in context, a fossil burning ICE vehicle is certainly consuming a lot of juice warming the engine, while trying to provide heat gained from the cooling system, in order to provide the requested heat to warm the cabin space of the car etc.
You can not preheat a fossil burning vehicle prior to leaving of course ??.

I'll always check on eco mode with the air con/blower switched off, shows maximum capacity. My range is 3.4kw per mile. It's showing 170 miles full charge at the minute 5-10 degrees outside in Belfast. I only charge on slow charger at home, use rapid chargers on longer trips

Yes this summer regularly been getting over 200 because only driving in town & kWh per mile is over 4. The stored trip data affects the range calculation. If you zeroise the trip data I think the range will be nearer the WLTP combined 163ml range & if you look at the spec the WLTP city range is 231 mls

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom