Charging networks

abucksdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Whilst I eagerly await the arrival of our new MG ZS LR EV, I'm pondering all things EV.

One of those is "How many, and which, charging networks/apps do I need for when I'm out and about?" Also, an answer to "Why?" Would be good too...

In case geography plays a key role here, I'm based in Buckinghamshire, and most of my longer drives are down to Torquay/Brixham in Devon.

Over to you all for your views/comments...

You will need the Pod point app as even free supermarkets need you to confirm the charge.
Instavolt are expensive but reliable.
The Electric Juice card from Octopus Energy as it covers a number of networks and no pre authorization fees.

Yes, it does.
Without the Car, I hadn't really taken a look at the app since the installer bound it to my home charger...

Have you got Zap-Map on your phone yet? You can set the payment filter to contactless payment (which is what I do on long journeys). It will then only show you chargers which accept debit/credit card payments. Instavolt and Osprey are my preferred networks as they are reliable and located at nice pubs, hotels and leisure centres. :)

On my phone I have:

Zap Map
ABRP
WattsUP
PlugShare
BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Pod Point
MFG EV Power
InstaVolt
Electric Highway (Ecotricity)
BP Me
ChargeCar
NeedToCharge (recently added)
Osprey Charging.

I carry the following cards with me:

ChargePoint
Pod Point
Swarco E.Connect
Charge your car

On my key ring:

BP Pulse
Shell Recharge
Alfa Power

Registered my CC with GeniePoint

Credit and/or Debit cards are becoming more popular, for example on GridServe.

Edit..

For my ICE car all I need is cash (funny idea I know), and my CC.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom