CHARGING ON PAVEMENT

Lambo51

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Charging on pavement.Is this breaking any laws??

Attachments

• B359C710-BE83-4D14-93FA-69CBB178324A.jpeg
    B359C710-BE83-4D14-93FA-69CBB178324A.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 207
No and even adheres to new highway code guidelines for using a warning sign.

I'd say that was still a trip hazard.
Better to use something made for the job:
Amazon product ASIN B08NFHXZT2
Legally you may be right however the mat has a rubber hazard guard about a mm off the floor and makes the overall height id say 2mm, basically as flat as you could possibly get... whereas the one you shown is 45mm high so very much easier to trip over and be a pain for wheelchair, blind people and prams to get over.

Before I retired, we used a larger version of these to cover an 11kV cable whilst traffic ran over the top!

Legally you may be right however the mat has a rubber hazard guard about a mm off the floor and makes the overall height id say 2mm, basically as flat as you could possibly get... whereas the one you shown is 45mm high so very much easier to trip over and be a pain for wheelchair, blind people and prams to get over.
But no chance of cutting through the cable when going over it.

Speaking of pavements!
New driving laws this year, May 31st 2022 will see councils issuing £70 fines for pavement parking.
:shock:

“The laws around parking on pavements is just one of many new driving laws coming into effect this year, with road user safety at the forefront of each.”
From May 31, councils in England and Wales will be given new powers to fine motorists up to £70 for minor traffic offences including stopping in yellow box junctions and driving in cycle lanes"

I'd say that was still a trip hazard.
Better to use something made for the job:
Amazon product ASIN B08NFHXZT2
I’ve tried tripping up over it and it’s near impossible. But the point is someone can claim they have which brings in public liability insurance and wether or not your Ev insurance covers you.time to look at the small print🧐

Speaking of pavements!
New driving laws this year, May 31st 2022 will see councils issuing £70 fines for pavement parking.
:shock:

“The laws around parking on pavements is just one of many new driving laws coming into effect this year, with road user safety at the forefront of each.”
From May 31, councils in England and Wales will be given new powers to fine motorists up to £70 for minor traffic offences including stopping in yellow box junctions and driving in cycle lanes"
Not entirely accurate, they've blurred the lines between 2 statements. The 'no pavement parking' consultation is still underway, it's been the case in London forever and the council can fit "in parked bays only" signs to allow Pavement Parking where it makes sense.

In May the councils will be given the power to fine people for additional infractions that are currently under the police remit. Such as box junctions and cycle lanes. They will of course all install cameras to watch these and send out automatic fines, it can be quite the cash cow if you plan it correctly, such as 'install a bus gate on a traditional main road into town, label it as a bus gate, knowing full well there's no mention of bus gate in the highway code, then fine people for driving down the road they've always driven down, who still have no idea what a bus gate is'.

It might not break any laws but remember you can still be sued if you cause someone to trip!

Last edited:
Splitting hairs I know but roll the astroturf grass side out and prevent the roll flattening by wrapping it around a former such as a piece of drain pipe. That way once unrolled it will be flat on the ground. Keep the cable indoors unless you also carry it is the car. Keeping it relatively warm and wound up in as large a loop as practical means it will be more willing to lay flat once unrolled. Also unrolling it rather just pulling the loops out prevent the insulation spiralling and preventing the cable laying flat.

Also "hiding" the yellow "A" sign between cars is counterproductive. You think you are doing right by reducing the pavement obstruction but the objective is for it to be seen to generate the warning. As long as the "obstruction" you are laying out is no worse than the generally uneven pavement you are not making anything worse than what is already there.

Personally I would place it at the other end hard against the wall but on the pavement where it can be seen. It is not unusual for blind long stick users to run the end tapping the wall as they walk. You want them to find the board so they are alerted to the change in surface. Few people actually walk against a wall on the pavement to avoid overhanging plants

I charge across my pavement with a high viz very very heavy cable mat over the cable to my chargepoint. I asked the neighbours first and I also have a sign and a IR spot that comes on at night by the cable mat (battery one).

It's been fine and the Police also complimented me on it.

I charge across my pavement with a high viz very very heavy cable mat over the cable to my chargepoint. I asked the neighbours first and I also have a sign and a IR spot that comes on at night by the cable mat (battery one).

It's been fine and the Police also complimented me on it.
Sounds good, would it be possible for you to post a photo(s) of your setup and I will have to go across a pavement when my car arrives.

Charging on pavement.Is this breaking any laws??
Cannot say elsewhere but Hackney council state on their website you cannot do this and have started enforcing it with fines if you carry on doing after a warning letter. Hopefully they will put up more charge points soon :)

From the "thisismoney" web site:

"While there is obvious risk, the Local Government Association told us there is 'no legislation that it is aware of' that would make the inconsiderate placing of a charging cable illegal."

If I was presented with a fine I would ask on what basis?

The problem is if an accident occurs who is liable. You as an individual for placing the cable, your motor insurer because it has been tested that charging constitutes "using" the vehicle and as such they are liable and the local council because it constitutes an obstruction on the footpath and they have a duty to keep the paths clear. As the obstruction is not permanent I can't see how they would be liable as well.

The pedestrian who trips is not without responsibility for not being observant to risks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom