CHARGING ON PAVEMENT

The pedestrian who trips is not without responsibility for not being observant to risks.

It's called contributory negligence. Around here, most of our paving slabs have been lifted and replaced with tarmac. I know of at least one person who passes their black charging cable over black tarmac at night. Tripping over that would and injuring oneself would, I contend, make the person trailing the cable liable.

The person adding the obstacle is never going to be on the moral high ground.

Cannot say elsewhere but Hackney council state on their website you cannot do this and have started enforcing it with fines if you carry on doing after a warning letter. Hopefully they will put up more charge points soon :)
They should be more constructive and offer the people with other option
From the "thisismoney" web site:

"While there is obvious risk, the Local Government Association told us there is 'no legislation that it is aware of' that would make the inconsiderate placing of a charging cable illegal."

If I was presented with a fine I would ask on what basis?

The problem is if an accident occurs who is liable. You as an individual for placing the cable, your motor insurer because it has been tested that charging constitutes "using" the vehicle and as such they are liable and the local council because it constitutes an obstruction on the footpath and they have a duty to keep the paths clear. As the obstruction is not permanent I can't see how they would be liable as well.

The pedestrian who trips is not without responsibility for not being observant to risks.
I charge across my pavement with a high viz very very heavy cable mat over the cable to my chargepoint. I asked the neighbours first and I also have a sign and a IR spot that comes on at night by the cable mat (battery one).

It's been fine and the Police also complimented me on it.
I don't think it is possible to do more than DickMorrell has done. From looking out of my window the main issue would be someone staring at there mobile and not looking.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom