Charging pad/USB power output

abarlev

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Has anyone had issues with the power outout? It seems like barely 2.1W comming out of those things...
Any way to improve to a 20W output?

When playing music/videos (use Youtube to play music) or using TomTom navigation my phone can not be charged fast enough to keep its charge on the pad, so I plug in a charger instead. Disclaimer: My Samsung Note 9 is quite old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both front USBs are 7W output, the rear one is 12W.
I don't see how 7W are coming out of my ports... the phone (iPhone 14) loses from the charge it had just by being connected to CarPlay (wireless) and using Waze and music.
I got a charging pad and connected it to the 12V port. Now the phone charges and doesn't slide around.

7W at 5V is 1.4A, which is not a lot. The phone may be drawing more of this with all that it is running at the same time. I would imagine the power to the front 2 USBs is shared.

12W is much more decent, 2.4A, which is the same as many basic USB chargers.

The 12V port supports a lot more (100W? I can't remember), so will drive a much more powerful charger.

I don't see how 7W are coming out of my ports... the phone (iPhone 14) loses from the charge it had just by being connected to CarPlay (wireless) and using Waze and music.
I got a charging pad and connected it to the 12V port. Now the phone charges and doesn't slide around.
I tested it just using a cheap usb tester. I was surprised the rear was more output than the front.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom