Charging Point connections

terrybailey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
My car MG5 will be delivered next Wednesday Could anyone help I am a little confused with charging connections.
specifically Mennekes is this the same as type 2 and CHAdeMo ??? what can I safely use.

Thanks

Type 2 and Mennekes are the same connection. CHAdeMo is different. If you have a look on ZapMap or internet search you'll see graphics of what the connectors look like and the different pin configurations

Welcome to the app collection club 🤪 I made the mistake of charging at a services and didn’t do the CCS charger, make sure you know your stuff, once you get your head round it, you’ll be fine. 2 months in and I’ve just about got it. I used the charger at the little garage along Finchampstead Rd recently 🙂

Yes - ZapMap app well worth downloading.

Basically Chademo is the only main charger you CANNOT use. The other 2 are type 2 and CCS which type 2 uses the top charger in your charging socket and CCS uses the top AND the bottom. Type 2 is kinda slow and CCS is fast. All other info will just get more and more confusing. 2 = fast. CCS = rapid. Most type 2's will charge from zero to 100% in about 8/9 hrs where CCS will take less than 1 hour.

Most type 2's will charge from zero to 100% in about 8/9 hrs where CCS will take less than 1 hour.
Does CCS really take less than hour?
I not had the need yet.
I thought most were getting in CCS around 30kWh sometines even less with cold winter batteries. So for our ZS 42kWh battery I would have though over an hour.

Does CCS really take less than hour?
I not had the need yet.
I thought most were getting in CCS around 30kWh sometines even less with cold winter batteries. So for our ZS 42kWh battery I would have though over an hour.
I have not charged from zero to 100% but from the limited use I have had it seems plausible

Type 2 is 7kw slow charge. Great for overnight or destination charging.
CCS, its a type 2 with extension at the bottom, is the rapid charge connector and it should do 0-80% in a hour or less. After 80%, best to move on as charge rates drop significantly. In the time to do 80-100% on CCS, you could get another 0-80% rapid in.

Chademo is the rapid connector for mostly nissan leafs (and old tesla's without the ccs update) and will not fit any MG.

Even 80% if 42kWh battery is 33kWh.
Can is it be CCS recharged 0-80% in winter under an hour?
I'm guessing 75mins by average figures.

maybe if doing more than one rapid charge a day then it gets warmer and picks up.

Even 80% if 42kWh battery is 33kWh.
Can is it be CCS recharged 0-80% in winter under an hour?
I'm guessing 75mins by average figures.

maybe if doing more than one rapid charge a day then it gets warmer and picks up.
Realistically you will not drop to 0% before re-charging (unless you arrive on the back of a breakdown truck). It is more likely to be around 20% so up to 80% will be around 26kWh at most which is well within an hour on a Rapid charger even in cold weather.

Realistically you will not drop to 0% before re-charging (unless you arrive on the back of a breakdown truck). It is more likely to be around 20% so up to 80% will be around 26kWh at most which is well within an hour on a Rapid charger even in cold weather.
Several people have said the speed of charge is determined also by the State of charge.

Below 10% will get you better speeds. Although that strategy is does have the risk of running out of charge before reaching the charger.

Several people have said the speed of charge is determined also by the State of charge.

Below 10% will get you better speeds. Although that strategy is does have the risk of running out of charge before reaching the charger.
In the warmer weather even at lower SOC the most I have ever had is a rate of 35kWh which I was led to believe could be as high as 76kWh for a short time at 17% SOC gradually dropping to 37kWh by 60% SOC to 80% then a cliff edge drop to about 15kWh.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom