Charging Port Weather Cover

Tom McConnell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Weather cover to protect my charging port from rain and snow, see attached photo. This works great and is magnetic so sticks to the bonnet. Found on Amazon.

Charging Port Cover.jpeg

I have not found an equivalent to fit over my BP Pulse/Chargemaster home charger, using a pull cord or similar around the charging unit where a tethered cable would wrap around. See attached photo.

BP Pulse Charger.jpeg

Any one know of something suitable ?

Thanks!

Not sure it's really needed. The charger and the cable should be at least IP 54 rated, even when in use so unless you are jet washing them then there shouldn't be a problem.

We live on top of a hill on the North Devon coast where winds of 40+ mph are a very frequent occurrence and they are normally accompanied by driving rain. Neither the car or our pod point have experienced any issues from this.

In my mind a plastic cover for the car or chargers port is just another piece of difficult to recycle plastic that the world could do without.

I've always felt that the door is vulnerable rather than the connector.

I've always felt that the door is vulnerable rather than the connector.
I've driven 100 miles with the door open lol

With respect to the rain cover, it hurts no-one so if anyone feels you want it, go for it. I agree with John though, it's not necessary.

My 110v tools and leads have similar plugs and sockets and they often get submerged in deep muddy puddles. They haven't corroded and I've not been shocked yet. 😄

I think the rain cover is a waste of both money and plastic not to mention the faff fiddling around with it. If you end up using it at all it will be when it is windy and raining and you'll just get soaked yourself with the extra fiddling to make it fit when you could be inside in the dry yourself. I've used the ZS and charged it in all weathers the past two years (I picked mine up 2 years ago yesterday) and because it is designed to function in wet conditions as well as in dry it has never even occurred to me that it would need a rain cover although I have needed a shelter while fingering out how another different Rapid charger might work in the rain. Why on earth they don't put even a modest shelter for the driver standing in front of a rapid charger in the rain I've never worked out. It wouldn't need to be too expensive especially when you consider the cost of the rapid charger in the first place why not just add a little rain shelter. And while we are talking rain covers for the charging port, do you have to take the thing off your Type 2 cable and put it on the Rapid charger pistol? Will it even fit over the CCS Pistol?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom