JustAnotherMidlifeCrisis

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
I have an Ohme Home Pro wall charger at home. The app allows scheduled charging. You choose the percentage charge you want and by when, and the app does the rest.

The MG4 also allows scheduled charging. I've set it via the infotainment screen to charge in the 2330-0530 window only, to match my cheap tariff (Intelligent Octopus Go).

How do the two interact?

Does the Ohme Home Pro decide how it intends to deliver the charge, but have to wait for the MG4 system to accept it?

Can't help feeling that if they work as advertised then I need just one of these schedulers but not both, at least for home charging.

Turn off the schedule in the MG4 and when you plug in and select the amount to add % and by what time the IO app will determine when to charge. It may charge outside of the core cheap hours of 11.30 - 5.30.

That's how it works with my Zappi.

If you are on IO Go you don't use either. And you don't select the percentage you want to end with, you select the percentage you want add (plus 2-5% to allow for balancing charge time).

So in the Ohme app either...
1. Change a default schedule to about you want to add and the time you next need the car. Then plug in.
Or
2. Plug in, then "Change Target" to the above. This changes the default schedule for this charge only.

Make sure the Ohme app does not have the "Price cap" feature enable.

We have an Ohme Pro and just use the Price Cap function on the My Charger screen. No schedules on car or Ohme, just plug in the car and it will charge as much as it can at the lowest rate. If you need to force a full or specific level of charge and are not bothered about the price just remove the price cap function and you get as much instant charge as you need.

You can of course play with all the settings if you have a more sophisticated tariff, but why make things more complicated

We have an Ohme Pro and just use the Price Cap function on the My Charger screen. No schedules on car or Ohme, just plug in the car and it will charge as much as it can at the lowest rate.
Not relevant here.

You can of course play with all the settings if you have a more sophisticated tariff, but why make things more complicated
You said it, to get the cheaper tariff. This thread is about using the Ohme with IOGo.

Thanks all. It seems there are several ways to do the same thing.

The price cap is gold. Yes - I want to charge at 7.5p/kWh and not a penny more please! So that's what I tell it to do.

Full tank for £5? I'm game.

The price cap is irrelevant if you are on IO Go. All charging (unless you force a charge) will be at the cheap rate. Enabling the price cap forces the charger to only work between 11:30 to 05:30 (and is actually contrary to the IO Go T&C's).

By letting Octopus do the scheduling you will often get the cheap rate during the day as well if there is plenty of wind and/or solar on the grid. Which is a bonus as the whole house then benefits from the cheap rate - especially if you plug in around a meal time when you will use an electric cooker ;)

From what you are saying with IO Go there is a 3rd option to control charging, the Octopus App and this should be used instead of the car or the Ohme Pro to control all charging sessions. Is that correct?

No.

The car is only used to set a limit on the charge - eg 80%
The Octopus app is not used at all (yet!)

Octopus then need two bits of information:

1. How much charge you want to add (in percent).
For most other cars they can read this directly from the car (Jag, VW, Kia etc), but MG don't allow this, so we have to provide the information.

2. The time you need the charge to complete - I set time at 09:00 and leave it there 95% of the time (I'm retired!)

Both 1 & 2 you must do via the Ohme app because Octopus have not yet integrated Ohme control into their own app. (Zappi chargers you set the info directly in the Octopus app I believe).

Thats it, two bits of information. The "intelligent" bit of the IOGo tariff does the rest. It tells the charger when to start/stop and how much charge to let through at any time.

Any time the charger is active you get the cheap rate for that whole half hour. If you plug in during the afternoon it may well start charging straight away, then pause over the evening peak and start again at 8pm say. Other times it will do it in the core 11:30-05:30 hours - sometime with pauses when demand is higher.

Ohme seem to have a comprehensive set up guide on their site for IO Go and their charger

For anyone new to owing an EV all these relatively complicated procedures could put you off and for any techno-phobes they would be a reason to stick with the relatively straightforward refuelling process associated with combustable fuels.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back