Charging randomly stopping

carol16

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a 2022 ZS Trophy LR with approx 3500 miles on clock, and a 3.5kw Pod Point home charger (used to have Ionic PHEZ). Recently, when charging it will randomly stop. Sometimes it can be after 30 mins, or several hours, or it will complete a successful charge with no problems at all. I have noticed when checking the app that the charge rate is normally about 3.2 ish or thereabouts, but have seen it well below this, 2.5 or even lower and assume this may be the problem. 2 questions; will the car stop charging below a certain charge rate? Secondly, is the problem likely to be the car, or the charger? I have charged once with the granny charger and that was ok, but normally with my pod point and it's been ok. Unfortunately, last week when the issue arose again, the ismart app wasnt connecting so couldnt see charge rate..took 3 attempts, half an hour, and hour and a half and finally successful 8.5 hours to charge from about 55% to 100%! Purchased the car last October, and absolutely no issue until about May. Never used rapid charger as only pootle about locally, and only charge a couple of times a month, and do an equalizing charge every so often. Sorry if similar has been asked before, couldnt find anything by searching. Thank you for any help (very basic explanations appreciated, as not at all technically gifted)

Your granny charger should charge at around 3.5kW, so if that works OK with the car then you can be fairly certain it's the Pod-Point charger.
Hi Carol - If you have successfully received an uninterrupted charging session ( on a few occasions ) from your supplied Granny lead, then this may suggests the problem could be with your Pod Point wall box / charging lead.
When you say the cars just stops charging at random intervals, I assume you find that the wall box has returned back to standby mode ?.
It does not trip the breaker in the fuse box and need resetting each time by any odd chance ???.
It would be beneficial now to have the wall box that will allow the higher charging rate of 7 Kw’s over the lower maximum 3.5 kw’s you are presently receiving, now that you have a full EV with a much larger battery pack.
You say you have seen the charging rate fluctuating on the App ?.
If you SOC ( state of charge ) in the car is below 90% then the wall box should be providing 3.5 Kw’s pretty constantly really.
I guess in retrospect, it would have been better to have the 7.0Kw wall box fitted when your had your PHEV as a bit of future proofing should you go full EV in the future.
The 7 Kw unit would then mean that when you charge your car, it will charge twice as fast as the 3.5 Kw unit does right now.
If you are on a cheaper off peak tariff for your electricity, then the faster charging speed is helpful to maximise the cheaper off peak rates in the early hours of the morning.
If the charging speed is not that important and you are on a standard tariff then the slower speed of 3.5 Kw unit ( when working correctly ) maybe 🤔 okay ?.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. Admittedly, I have only used my granny charger once, but it charged no where near 3.5kw...from memory I think it was about 2.1kw.
You are welcome !.
Maybe worth trying it a few more times as proof of concept and helps the focus towards the wall box.
2.1 Kw’s is about right from a Granny unit TBH.

Upvote 0
Hi Carol - If you have successfully received an uninterrupted charging session ( on a few occasions ) from your supplied Granny lead, then this may suggests the problem could be with your Pod Point wall box / charging lead.
When you say the cars just stops charging at random intervals, I assume you find that the wall box has returned back to standby mode ?.
It does not trip the breaker in the fuse box and need resetting each time by any odd chance ???.
It would be beneficial now to have the wall box that will allow the higher charging rate of 7 Kw’s over the lower maximum 3.5 kw’s you are presently receiving, now that you have a full EV with a much larger battery pack.
You say you have seen the charging rate fluctuating on the App ?.
If you SOC ( state of charge ) in the car is below 90% then the wall box should be providing 3.5 Kw’s pretty constantly really.
I guess in retrospect, it would have been better to have the 7.0Kw wall box fitted when your had your PHEV as a bit of future proofing should you go full EV in the future.
The 7 Kw unit would then mean that when you charge your car, it will charge twice as fast as the 3.5 Kw unit does right now.
If you are on a cheaper off peak tariff for your electricity, then the faster charging speed is helpful to maximise the cheaper off peak rates in the early hours of the morning.
If the charging speed is not that important and you are on a standard tariff then the slower speed of 3.5 Kw unit ( when working correctly ) maybe 🤔 okay ?.
Thank you for your reply. When the problem occurs it does not trip the fuse box, just puts the wall box back on standby. I've double checked neither car or charger have been accidentally set to scheduled charging too. When the app actually works, I've monitored the charge and when working correctly is achieving a constant level about 3.2kw from box, and only drops down to trickle when equalizing to 100%.
Certainly were I to replace the wall box I would install a 7kw charger as you say. However, I literally only charge twice a month, normally from about 20% ish to 80%, as I do such low mileage, and, so cant see the point of going to the expense of replacing my existing box unless I'm sure its faulty. Admittedly, I've had it 5 years, so it's done good service, especially with my PHEZ.
I just dont know if it's the car that determines charge rate, or the box...something that I shoul take up with the dealer when it goes in for its first service....

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom