Charging Robot problem

edd

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Can anyone out there help me with my charging problem? I have an easee charger and I am octopus go, so have cheep rate from 00.30 to 04.30 four hours, but I can only get a maximum of 17.5kWh in that even when the car is at 30% is this normal?
I have an MG5 EV mark 1, is no settings in the car!
HELP

Sounds as if the charger has been turned down somehow? have you ever got more out of it?

Can anyone out there help me with my charging problem? I have an easee charger and I am octopus go, so have cheep rate from 00.30 to 04.30 four hours, but I can only get a maximum of 17.5kWh in that even when the car is at 30% is this normal?
HELP
Check the load balancing settings in the charger, it maybe throttling the charger if it's set incorrectly (too low).

HELP
Does it charge ok on a rapid DC charger and fast type2 AC EVSE ok?

First step. Go find another 7kw charger where you can test your car. On the LR 1 hour's charge will give you approximately 10% the estimated time remaining should allow you to work out if it's getting 7kw or not.

If it's working at 7kw on a different AC charger. It's not the car.

Some EVSEs can be set to a lower power setting when installed. If this has been dialled back for whatever reason, that would be an issue.

Most EVSEs now have a CT clamp fitted. This monitors the household usage and will throttle back the charger to prevent you overloading the main supply fuse.

I've just looked at the install instructions for the Easee units. And it's all 'dynamic' with nothing to be physically set on the charger (probably hence their reluctance). Does the app give any indication that it's throttling back? / detecting a load on the home side? - my EO will shows me the house load in the app.

The EASSE units have two settings inside the case.
They can be set allow 3.5 or 7.00!Kw’s.
One hour on a 7.0 Kw unit should add about 25 miles of extra range, so only only about 12 miles on the 3.5 Kw setting.
This is taken from their web site.

“In most cases, single-phase charging will be recommended for domestic installation. Our single-phase chargers range from 3.7kW to 7.4kW with an internal switch to flick between the two depending on the desired power. These charging units are available as both tethered and untethered and support Wi-Fi connectivity.”

First step. Go find another 7kw charger where you can test your car. On the LR 1 hour's charge will give you approximately 10% the estimated time remaining should allow you to work out if it's getting 7kw or not.

If it's working at 7kw on a different AC charger. It's not the car.

Some EVSEs can be set to a lower power setting when installed. If this has been dialled back for whatever reason, that would be an issue.

Most EVSEs now have a CT clamp fitted. This monitors the household usage and will throttle back the charger to prevent you overloading the main supply fuse.

I've just looked at the install instructions for the Easee units. And it's all 'dynamic' with nothing to be physically set on the charger (probably hence their reluctance). Does the app give any indication that it's throttling back? / detecting a load on the home side? - my EO will shows me the house load in the app.
It starts off at 7kWh but drops off to about 3.8 after a very short time

Based on what lovemyev posted. I would be wondering if the internal switch is set to 3.7kw. Strange the install guide doesn't mention the switch...which may be why it may have been missed.

Are you able to unplug the type2 charging lead from your wall box or is the cable hard wired directly into the unit, with one single charging gun for plugging into your charging port on the car.
If so, this is known as a tethered unit.
If you have the ability to unplug the type2 lead at both ends, the car and the wall box and take with you for public charging on the move.
Then you have an untethered wall box.
Single phase untethered cables can be 3.5 or 7.0 Kw’s.
Plugging a 3.5 cable into a 7.0 Kw box will produce a slower charge rate.
Usually the rating is written on the charging gun.
16 Amps is 3.5 Kw’s 32 Amps is 7.0 Kw’s.

HELP
Assuming you have the long range (I have the same car). I don't know about the easee charger, but 17.5kWh in four hours means the average rate of charge is 4.3kw. How fast should the easee charge? I have a Zappi charger that runs at about 7kw continuously until the car is nearly fully charged.

I suggest you check the battery percentage at the end of the charge and do the simple maths to check that the 17.5kWh (presumably obtained from the charger) agrees with that calculation.

Assuming you have the long range (I have the same car). I don't know about the easee charger, but 17.5kWh in four hours means the average rate of charge is 4.3kw. How fast should the easee charge? I have a Zappi charger that runs at about 7kw continuously until the car is nearly fully charged.

I suggest you check the battery percentage at the end of the charge and do the simple maths to check that the 17.5kWh (presumably obtained from the charger) agrees with that calculation.
I have an Easee charger and it happily handles 7kW continuously.

I have a podpoint and it comes with a CT to monitor the mains amps so the charger will not let it go over 60A. I could upgrade the fuse with the DNO but there is no point. I have charged at peak times with oven etc on and it pulls 6kw quite happy charging away.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom