Charging speeds and kw on the 5

kierend

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Does anyone have a list of the charge modes the mg5 is capable of taking..

Plugged into a 40kw type2 charger and it only charged at a really slow rate, less than 1kw in 10 minutes.

It confused me a bit...

Does anyone have a list of the charge modes the mg5 is capable of taking..

Plugged into a 40kw type2 charger and it only charged at a really slow rate, less than 1kw in 10 minutes.

It confused me a bit...

Sounds about right, if it's a type 2 charger then it's AC and the MG5 and ZS are rated at 6.6kW maximum on AC.

Ah yes the chameleon charger, pretty clever really as it could charge from about 1kw all the way to 43kw. Didn’t half used to make a row at 43! CCS adoption kind of killed rapid AC charging.

That explains the charge rate, as I used to have a Zoe, I just assumed the newer mg would do all AC and DC charge rates from 1 to 80

Not many cars out there with quick AC charging now, the corsa we have could of had an optional 11kw AC charger fitted, but its just not worth it when the car has CCS.

My old Smart only had rapid AC charging up to 22Kw but these are few and far between now.

That explains the charge rate, as I used to have a Zoe, I just assumed the newer mg would do all AC and DC charge rates from 1 to 80

Car manufacturers have cottoned on to the fact that most AC charging is done at home ( at 7kw max ) and putting anything other than a 7kw charger in the car is needless expense.
New rapid chargers are now coming with 22kw AC rather than 43kw because there are so few cars that can make use of it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom