Charging speeds and software updates.

TheApeVine

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We've had our new LR for a few weeks and we're assured by the dealer it has had all the updates available.

Today I was out on a long drive, I plugged into a 22kw charger, but only managed to pull 6.9kw at most for the duration.

Then went to a Tesla Supercharger and got no joy, Tesla said it couldn't detect a car and the MG displayed a message about an unacceptable le powergrid or something similar.

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the later updates fixed the Tesla issue and allowed higher charging speeds but I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know if this is right?

Cheers

If you have a look at the type2 socket the you will find L2 and L3 are not populated and so you can't use three phase 22kW or 11kW, you will only get 7kW or 3.5kW with a single phase 32A type2 cable.

Not every Tesla supercharger is open to all EVs, the new level 4 chargers will be but there are very few of those installed yet. As others have said it might say 22kW but that's for a car that can use 3 phase which yours can't, also when charging on a DC rapid don't expect to get 150 kW, the car can only charge at about 80kW max. It all depends on the initial state of charge and battery temperature. Also as the battery gets fuller, the charge will drop off to about 50kW at 80% and the 25kW at 90%. After 90% the rate is so slow that it's not worth charging any more when on a journey as it will take about the same time to get from 90 to 100% as it did to get from 20 to 90%.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had our new LR for a few weeks and we're assured by the dealer it has had all the updates available.

Today I was out on a long drive, I plugged into a 22kw charger, but only managed to pull 6.9kw at most for the duration.

Then went to a Tesla Supercharger and got no joy, Tesla said it couldn't detect a car and the MG displayed a message about an unacceptable le powergrid or something similar.

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the later updates fixed the Tesla issue and allowed higher charging speeds but I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know if this is right?

Cheers
Assuming the supercharger was open to all then your car probably needs a specific update to enable you to use it. MG will charge you for this. There is a separate thread covering this in some detail.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom