Charging speeds (CCS)

dragon2611

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Has anyone else seen weirdness with charging speeds on CCS,

Went away at the weekend and used Ionity Leeds, was only getting 41KW at around 30% SOC

Used the exact same charger on the return journey and got 71KW+ although I started around 12% SOC, also the site was full whereas the first time it wasn't, so I don't think it was Load-Sharing between the other chargers, I guess it could be throttled due to overall grid load in the area.

Got more than 41KW with around 25-30% SOC from other chargers whilst away and the outside temps were in the 15-20C range the whole weekend.

The fun with CCS is you don't know if it's the car or the charger that's the reason for slower than expected speeds.

I've had it before where the supposed 350KW Gridserve chargers only give me around 31kw and at the time I just assumed it was a cable cooling failure, but now I'm wondering if sometimes the car does something to limit the charge rate.

Mine always seems to be about right. It was charging at 58 at a 60kwh charger the other day.

Got 89 today and dropped off at 80% to 25. From a 300kwh charger. I was very jealous of the Volvo XC40 pulling 149 next to me.

But yes, do see occasional weirdness like only getting 35 from a 50 etc. I wonder if the charge infrastructure is getting all the amps it needs. Is the national grid load balancing?

getting 35 from a 50 etc. I wonder if the charge infrastructure is getting all the amps it needs. Is the national grid load balancing?
This is the annoying thing, there's usually no way for you as the user of the chargepoint to tell, it would be nice if such information was available.

Displaying something like "Charging Speed Limited due to Electrical Grid Load" would be useful to know it's the Grid and not your car.etc

The best I've had is 96KW on a 2021 MG5 LR this summer in Spain, but 85-93 KW is common when warm.

I had 92kw on one then 33kw on the next both 150kw chargers.

The issues include SOC, temperature ambient and battery, available power to the charger and sometimes the charger software!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom