Charging Speeds (Pre Facelift)

Squidder

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Anyone else seem to have been getting faster than the advertised 50kW peak from the new Tritium chargers? I'm currently at South Mimms and charging at a steady 63kW!

Last edited by a moderator:
What speed are the rapid chargers saying they are?
You must be on a low SOC to get 63kW

Chargers were 175kW peak
20% started charge, sat at 63kW average until it got to 40% and dropped to 58kW, then at 48% back up to 60 kW until we got till 66% and not dropped to 50kW where it stayed till I stopped charge @72% to trundle home.

While I'm not going to complain at a 20% boost in peak charging power, I'd just rather not exceed the spec and shorten product life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargers were 175kw peak
20% started charge, sat at 63kw average until it got to 40% and dropped to 58kw, then at 48% back up to 60 until we got till 66% and not dropped to 50kw where it stayed till I stopped charge @72% to trundle home.

While I'm not going to complain at a 20% boost in peak charging power, I'd just rather not exceed the spec and shorten product life!
That sounds about right. The car will only take what rate it needs why do you think 50kW is the cars peak rate?

Anyone else seem to have been getting faster than the advertised 50kW peak from the new Tritium chargers? I'm currently at South Mimms and charging at a steady 63kW!
The cars advertised peak rate is over 80kW, some me included have seen over 90kW in the right conditions.

That sounds about right. The car will only take what rate it needs why do you think 50kW is the cars peak rate?
I'll be honest, I've had the car for 15 months now, driven some 20,000 miles and only in recent times am I often seeing it get past the 50 mark. Even when I had a year of using the Ionity network due to the hilarious 35p/kWh pricing. I've been misremembering the specs all this time! Happiest I've been to be wrong :)

I've seen 80 ish in summer, but mostly between 40 and 55 depending on the time of day, temp and number of chargers in use.

On my trips across Europe in the winter (10C) I got a peak of 63kW but in the summer I regularly got over 90kW with a 96kW peak (38C)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom