Charging stations in Google Maps

Gadget Geek

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd mention this in case any Android Auto users didn't know about it.

It's in Search, Categories, Charging Stations, and here's how it works:

Yesterday, like Bilbo Baggins, I had an unexpected journey and decided to drive it as I would an ICE car without planning it and just "wing it" with the charging. What could possibly go wrong?

With 92%, I drove from Weston super Mare to Cheddar to pick up a rescued hedgehog which was big enough to be returned to the finder in Frome. From Frome, I then had to drive to Nantwich to pick up an ebike which I had bought on eBay for half price. Bargain.

On the M5 at Junction 6, I visited my usual Osprey charger at Blackpole near Worcester. I got 47kW on the 50kw unit and set off again with 75% battery.

I got to Nantwich, picked up the ebike, which is amazing, and used the Search, Categories, Charging Stations, to find a charger. The results showed a number of different networks nearby, so I went for a BP pulse, 2 miles away. I plugged in and was getting 42kW. I went searching for a toilet, but there weren't any about, so after 10 minutes, I unplugged and was on my way. I passed Keele services on the M6, but was ok for charge and bladder. When I saw the sign for Stafford services, I once again did Search, Categories, Charging Stations, and scrolled through the list until I found "Gridserve, Motorway Services". I then tapped "Navigate", and hey presto, it took me straight to the charger, where I got 47kW again. After a visit to the services, I came back and a Porche Taycan pulled up along side me. When that plugged in, the power dropped to 25kW. So at 72% it was time to move on. The GOM reckoned I'd get home with 30 miles remaining.

The only fly in the ointment was at Junction 18 on the M5, where a 4 vehicle pile up on the Avon bridge blocked traffic for an hour. I was on 14%, but with all the stop start traffic, when we got moving again, it was down to 11% and would get home with 15 miles. Rather than risk it I Search, Categories, Charging Stations, and navigated to Gordano Services a mile away and topped up to 20% there.

Summarising, I found it easier to do everything on the Sat-Nav screen without having to jump in and out of charger apps, and it just directed me to each charger. So you can go on a 350 mile journey in an EV without planning it.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd mention this in case any Android Auto users didn't know about it.

It's in Search, Categories, Charging Stations, and here's how it works:

Yesterday, like Bilbo Baggins, I had an unexpected journey and decided to drive it as I would an ICE car without planning it and just "wing it" with the charging. What could possibly go wrong?

With 92%, I drove from Weston super Mare to Cheddar to pick up a rescued hedgehog which was big enough to be returned to the finder in Frome. From Frome, I then had to drive to Nantwich to pick up an ebike which I had bought on eBay for half price. Bargain.

On the M5 at Junction 6, I visited my usual Osprey charger at Blackpole near Worcester. I got 47kW on the 50kw unit and set off again with 75% battery.

I got to Nantwich, picked up the ebike, which is amazing, and used the Search, Categories, Charging Stations, to find a charger. The results showed a number of different networks nearby, so I went for a BP pulse, 2 miles away. I plugged in and was getting 42kW. I went searching for a toilet, but there weren't any about, so after 10 minutes, I unplugged and was on my way. I passed Keele services on the M6, but was ok for charge and bladder. When I saw the sign for Stafford services, I once again did Search, Categories, Charging Stations, and scrolled through the list until I found "Gridserve, Motorway Services". I then tapped "Navigate", and hey presto, it took me straight to the charger, where I got 47kW again. After a visit to the services, I came back and a Porche Taycan pulled up along side me. When that plugged in, the power dropped to 25kW. So at 72% it was time to move on. The GOM reckoned I'd get home with 30 miles remaining.

The only fly in the ointment was at Junction 18 on the M5, where a 4 vehicle pile up on the Avon bridge blocked traffic for an hour. I was on 14%, but with all the stop start traffic, when we got moving again, it was down to 11% and would get home with 15 miles. Rather than risk it I Search, Categories, Charging Stations, and navigated to Gordano Services a mile away and topped up to 20% there.

Summarising, I found it easier to do everything on the Sat-Nav screen without having to jump in and out of charger apps, and it just directed me to each charger. So you can go on a 350 mile journey in an EV without planning it.
Will try it, thanks for sharing. On a positive, even if you run out of battery you could have cycled home ....😉

Hi GG,

Thank you for sharing. Still new at this so tips like these are always welcome. I've set up my next across the country EV journey in ABRP, that works with live driving days from an OBD2 scanner.
I don't know if Google maps has that yet, but since Android Auto can juggle more apps, I can probably compare charger suggestions.

Best,
Martin

Google maps are bringing in all sorts of features for electric cars and its a great app to use. they're hoping to bring in range planning soon. this may be available through android auto already i dont use that so i'm not too sure.

in the options you can choose electric as the form of fuel it shows routes which are more fuel efficient without using up too much time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom