Charging Stoppping due to heat?

Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I had a strange issue today, not sure if its due to the heat at the moment, Had my car on charge at work (Trophy Long Range) and it stopped charging after an hour and a half, tried restarting via i-smart and it goes for a few minutes then stops, the charge indicators on the charging port show blue, then it will start again for a few more minutes, just wondering if it could be due to the heat of the battery, I-smart showed the outside temp as 29 deg C and the inside as 51 deg C, car is not under any shade as its in the works car park. Anyone else seen this behaviour or do I need a trip to the dealer?

Cheers.

Could this be an issue with the charger itself, rather than the car? We have a few rolecs at work that can stop charging for no good reason.

Could this be an issue with the charger itself, rather than the car? We have a few rolecs at work that can stop charging for no good reason.
possibly, we have 2 chargers but can currently only charge one car at a time as it will trip out if you have 2 connected, though there is only me charging today as the other EV owner is on holiday!

Got a similar charging issue today at work wherein the Podpoint 7KW charger; AC Type 2 (32A cable) charge rate started with 6.4 KW rate and then dropped to around 3.2-3.3 KW for the remainder of the session. Tried stop/start charging few times but didn't go above 3.x KW. My Leaf used to consistently get 6KW charge rate from this very charger every single time without any issues ever.

Have had the car charged 3-4 days ago at another Podpoint 7KW charger and that worked ok for 6.x KW charge rate for few hours. So either the car or charger is behaving due to outside temperature or any other factors.

Anyone else noticed slower AC Type 2 charge sometimes?

Got a similar charging issue today at work wherein the Podpoint 7KW charger; AC Type 2 (32A cable) charge rate started with 6.4 KW rate and then dropped to around 3.2-3.3 KW for the remainder of the session. Tried stop/start charging few times but didn't go above 3.x KW. My Leaf used to consistently get 6KW charge rate from this very charger every single time without any issues ever.

Have had the car charged 3-4 days ago at another Podpoint 7KW charger and that worked ok for 6.x KW charge rate for few hours. So either the car or charger is behaving due to outside temperature or any other factors.

Anyone else noticed slower AC Type 2 charge sometimes?
I did notice the rate drop to about 3.5kw, which is why I thought it might be the battery getting too hot and the BMS throttling the rate back

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom