Charging the 2023 MG4 Mk 2 using the car settings, or the App, which is best?

I have heard that if the car is occupied the charge stops, is that so? Does it have to be locked?
I want to leave my wife in the car whilst I go to Tesco and use their Pod Point chargers.
What about if I sit in the drivers seat when I get back will that stop the charging? The manual is not very helpful.

The first time I tried a public charger I sat in the car to see what happened. It charged just fine. Then later, on a long journey, I left the car on a rapid charger and went into a shop. When I came back I put my purchases in the boot, then opened the car and got into the driving seat. The radio came on, and it was playing something I really liked. So I sat there listening to it, watching the SoC continue to rise on the car's screens, then at about 95% when the music stopped I got out, stopped the charge, and continued on my way. None of this interfered with the charging in the slightest.

The only time it ever stopped while it was charging was when it was on the granny lead in the garage. I went out to get my camera from the car, and when I opened the door the charging stopped. I had to begin the charge all over again. Don't know what was going on that time.

LIkewise. I have left locked, Unlocked sat in the car and it has no impact on charging in my experience. I have once had a Ionity charger request i shut the car down before accepting a charge which i did and it started up fine. The pod point fast chargers advise to lock the car before charging but i didnt bother and it worked fine.

Didn't seem to do that when I was using the Instavolt at Kirkby Lonsdale, unless I went into the shop leaving the car unlocked, which I don't think I did.

After a few issues with the car charging when we didn't want it to or failing to charge when we did we resolved to ensure both car and app had the same schedule and we've not needed to change it since! We charge 23.59 to 07.00 every night by granny unless it is full whereafter we run it down until we reach 40% or a week is up or a longer trip is planned... We're 4 months in. One day we'll go practice with the village's public rapid chargers!

Hah! When you live five minutes walk from the village charger, and it's only 30p a unit, you can get quite addicted to "well, I'll just put it on the charger for 55 minutes and finish it off on the granny!" I expect this addiction will cure itself in bad weather. Or if the price of the village charger goes up.

With regards to charging , my Trophy is only 3 months old , initially I was getting 290 miles on a full charge now it’s only about 250 miles. Any ideas why that is ? Thanks in advance

It all depends on how you've been driving, the sort of journeys you've been doing and how heavy your right foot has been. :)

I consistently get 225, but then I just drive it, don't try to eke out the miles, keep AC on, etc... the only concession to range I have made is to drive at 65 instead of 70.

Right foot below 65 is quite heavy.
I'm the same and as I charge at home the 25 mile loss of range only costs me an extra 75p

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel