Charging time on the `granny' charger?

Pepe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, hope someone can advise me on this.

I decided to run my relatively new MG ZS down to 17kms and then set it up for a slow charge.

I had in mind to try and load balance the batteries as suggested by MG and discussed on this forum. My concern is that it seems to take forever. I put it on charge yesterday late afternoon and took it off for two hours this morning. Then re-attached the MG supplied slow charger. That was at 9 am. Now 10 hours later it's showing still under 80% charge.

Should I be concerned about how long this taking or is an indication of how much `load balancing' my batteries needed? If that's the case will a similar task be able to be carried out more quickly next time?

Hope these questions are clear enough and happy to provide more information if it's needed.

My principal aim is to get the car to read plus 260 kms when 100% - something it has not done yet after 1800kms of driving as we want to do some much longer journeys down the East Coast of Australia and need the best range it can offer.

Look forward to any insights and thanks.

Doug

The granny lead supplies about 2.3Kw. So you are looking at up to 20 hours for a full charge.

You can probably get to 100% in another 4 hours.

Sounds like you've misinterpreted how the battery balancing works.

Balancing only starts after the battery has fully charged on a slow or fast charge. It's not necessary to run the battery right down before attempting a charge and balance. If memory serves, running it down to the low 90s percent and then plugging it in should be enough to charge and then move to balancing mode.

If the MG badge at the front is pulsing, it's charging. If it's lit, but not pulsing, it's balancing. If it's out, it's stopped.

I've regularly charged with the 'granny' charger supplied, on a normal 10 amp power point and it consistently gives 4% per hour and takes minimal time to balance. I haven't used rapid chargers much and made sure I got the BMS update (which now shows 450V when fully charged and 263km range) so I gather my battery hasn't ever been far out of balance. I'm getting a 7kW fast charger installed next week and am informed that it won't unbalance as the rapid chargers do.

Unfortunately for your trip down the coast, northern NSW is not brilliant for rapid chargers once you get past Byron Bay. One at Grafton and Coffs Harbour then it gets a bit better past Port Macquarie. South coast is pretty dire too.

I've regularly charged with the 'granny' charger supplied, on a normal 10 amp power point and it consistently gives 4% per hour and takes minimal time to balance. I haven't used rapid chargers much and made sure I got the BMS update (which now shows 450V when fully charged and 263km range) so I gather my battery hasn't ever been far out of balance. I'm getting a 7kW fast charger installed next week and am informed that it won't unbalance as the rapid chargers do.

Unfortunately for your trip down the coast, northern NSW is not brilliant for rapid chargers once you get past Byron Bay. One at Grafton and Coffs Harbour then it gets a bit better past Port Macquarie. South coast is pretty dire too.
Will be interested to hear about which new charger you install - keep us posted!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom