Charging while unlocked

Fireman frog

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi. I'm sure I read on here somewhere that you can can charge while unlocked.

However the manual says that you can only charge while the car is locked?

My car is arriving next week 🙂👍

I have a charging question which I thought I would put on this thread rather than starting a new one.

When I connect my car to an untethered charge point Is there a set order for connecting the cable to the car and charger or does it not matter?

Last edited:
I have a charging question which I thought I would put on this thread rather than starting a new one.

When I connect my car to an untethered charge point Is there a set order for connecting the cable to the car and charger or does it not matter?
I always plug into wall box or charge post first then the car. When using granny charger I plug into socket then the car.

I do the opposite to Jomarkh for the simple reason that I charge using economy 7 via a mains timer. There's no other way for me. So I connect the granny charger to the timer and to the car, but the timer is initially switched off so no mains power to the charger. Then the timer switches on the mains at night when I'm snoring away in bed. Actually I'm pretty sure it makes no difference what you do, otherwise there would be cautions in big bold capitals all over the manual.

I have a tethered charger at home so it's already plugged into the charger first then the car. But when I use the local Tescos, I do the opposite, plug into the car first then the charging post. So either one works for me. FWIW, I have to lock the car to charge it, if that makes any difference.

Does anyone know what voltage the granny charger puts out? I wonder how safe it is to be playing with the car end of the charging lead when it's raining and you're out there plugging it into the car? I suppose I could get my voltmeter out and measure it myself!

I thought the type 2 connector has 240v mains voltage on it and the CCS has 400+. The car activates the CP line which allows the voltage.

Ahh, that makes sense. So no voltage on the plug until it is connected to the car and the car requests a charge. You don't hear too many stories of EV owners getting fried do you :)

The first time I plugged into a 7kw public charging point at a large shopping centre last year, I could not get the post to deliver a charge.
I had a suitable RFID card, but could not get it to work.
Then a kind local guy rolls up with his family and jumps out and has his car charging in about 30 seconds !.
He could see me scratching my head and came over.
He told me to unplug from the car.
Then with the type 2 lead plugged into the post only, offer up the RFID to the viewer on the post.
Then when I get the green “Okay” tick on the screen, plug into the car.
Worked like a dream !.
I felt like a complete “Nubby” - which I was.
The protocol differs for some units, but by and large, this appears to be the most common way of getting a charge.
Cable into the post first, then RFID card ( if required ) then plug into the car.
At the Pod Point posts, they are just “Plug And Play” in a lot of cases.
But don’t forget to use the Pod Point App on your phone, or the charge will STOP ✋ after about 15 mins.
Tesco use a lot of these units.
They are free to use, while shopping.

On a similar topic, is the latest BMS and HV battery fuse updates chargeable?
I’ve seen something from MG that said they would pay for the BMS update that fixed the battery equalisation problem but only up to March 30, 2020. About to get mine serviced in August and the software update would allow charging whilst unlocked and prevent the fuse from blowing. Already pizzed off that a three year service contract attracts a £28 management fee if paid in instalment, or £12 if you Direct debit it!! (this is with Glyn Hopking MG). Just get the feeling l’m being screwed...😒🙄

On the subject of which end to plug in first, I’ve always thought it wiser to plug in the car first as when it detects a connection and in my case, the car is locked, it activates the car port lock - you can hear it if like me, you sit in the car and use the manual door lock. I’d rather have control over when the lock engages rather than have it try to engage a live line whilst you’re pushing in the car connector...?

On the subject of which end to plug in first, I’ve always thought it wiser to plug in the car first as when it detects a connection and in my case, the car is locked, it activates the car port lock - you can hear it if like me, you sit in the car and use the manual door lock. I’d rather have control over when the lock engages rather than have it try to engage a live line whilst you’re pushing in the car connector...?
The manual does say plug the cable into the charger first, but I've found, on my ZS, it works either way so far and mine doesn't lock the cable in to the car until I lock the car, I missed that update.
FWIW the cable isn't "live" until the plug is pushed fully in to the car. ;)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom