Check your front doors drain holes

Jonhklee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I was washing my car and came across a plastic sticky tapes covering the front door drain holes, my dealer must have missed them during PDI checks before handover (MY2021!!)

Must have been preventing proper drainage of water from my doors since day 1. Better late then than when my doors starts to rust in a few years time. I checked my other front door, exactly the same, only this one only had have masked.
8B3225C4-6582-4440-9AA2-7AF451D5958C.jpeg

Worth mentioning to MG that you expect them to honour the anti-perforation warranty as this was not your doing.

This has been covered on the forum before, I think if I recall at the time people were questioning whether they were there for a reason. If not maybe worth an admin making this a sticky thread?

A sticky thread which only the mods can update with links to threads containing common problems or answers to common questions would be a good idea, but could be high maintenance.

In the meantime careful use of the search facility would work! :)

Mine are there on front doors, removed on back doors.

Wouldn't removing them allow water to enter in deep water?

Just checked mine and the driver side was still covered this sort of thing should be done on the PDI

Attachments

• 5CC3FB9D-4FA4-4699-88CE-50F6A5F37110.jpeg
    5CC3FB9D-4FA4-4699-88CE-50F6A5F37110.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 161
The fact it hasn't been done on so many vehicles indicates to me that MG hasn't told the dealers to do it and that, for some reason, maybe they're supposed to be left in place. After all, why cover them in the first place?

Just checked mine and the driver's door still had it in place. Noticed that the boot lid has a central oval drainage hole and also a circular one each side with small rubber plugs in which seem to have a very small hole in the centre. Left them in place, anyone else have them?

Well, it prompted me to check my car and, sure enough, front doors drains taped but not the rears. No water in the doors, though, which is surprising, living in wet Wales.

It prompted me to check mine too. Rears clear, passenger front door clear, but driver's door was still taped with a pile of fine grit behind it. No water though, so it must still drain through the edge of the tape or somewhere else, thankfully.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom