Cleaning the chrome trim.

I covered a poor chrome finish with…………..chrome vinyl wrap worked a treat. Also used it as a mirror when one got smashed until I could replace it.

The high gloss chrome, grill, door tops and caps and rear hatch on the 5 (the silver on the roof rails is fine). The worst affected are the door trims.
FWIW the chrome grill on my ZS is fine but there are some light markings on the door caps.
I have just checked on our ZS face lift ( which could be different on the MG5 ) but the chrome bright strips actors the top of the four doors ( that meets the window glass ) are magnetic 🧲.
If I remember correctly, the front grill on the Gen1 model, was plastic with a chrome(ish) finish laid on to the surround.
The chrome effect on the tops of the door handles are non metallic also.
My guess would be that the window trims would take something a light compound polish to remove the stains.
The problem here is of course, is that it tends to dry to a white smear on any type of black hard plastic or rubber.
You could mask off the rubber first I guess ?.
The front grill is a different beast really.
You would have to tread very carefully when using any type of abrasive polish on that fake chrome over plastic.

The high gloss chrome, grill, door tops and caps and rear hatch on the 5 (the silver on the roof rails is fine). The worst affected are the door trims.
FWIW the chrome grill on my ZS is fine but there are some light markings on the door caps.
Do you have your car washed by hand at drive through by any chance.

Do you have your car washed by hand at drive through by any chance.
Yes, I know the traffic film remover they use is probably to blame.
The problem isn't helped by the fact SWMBO's 5 gets a bit neglected, she doesn't take it to the car wash very often and when she does it gets driven home then it could be standing for 6 or 7 days before she uses it again.

Yes, I know the traffic film remover they use is probably to blame.
The problem isn't helped by the fact SWMBO's 5 gets a bit neglected, she doesn't take it to the car wash very often and when she does it gets driven home then it could be standing for 6 or 7 days before she uses it again.
Well you've answered your own question then. I don't think you will be able so fix this. I have seen lots of different cars with this kind of damage caused the acid they spay being applied at the wrong dilution rate. Unfortunately it's not just a MG thing.

I have just checked on our ZS face lift ( which could be different on the MG5 ) but the chrome bright strips actors the top of the four doors ( that meets the window glass ) are magnetic 🧲.
If I remember correctly, the front grill on the Gen1 model, was plastic with a chrome(ish) finish laid on to the surround.
The chrome effect on the tops of the door handles are non metallic also.
My guess would be that the window trims would take something a light compound polish to remove the stains.
The problem here is of course, is that it tends to dry to a white smear on any type of black hard plastic or rubber.
You could mask off the rubber first I guess ?.
The front grill is a different beast really.
You would have to tread very carefully when using any type of abrasive polish on that fake chrome over plastic.
Yes the door trims on the 5 are magnetic so I think I'll give the metal polish a go on those.
If it's successful they'll get lathered in polymer polish to protect them or maybe some other DIY paint protection coating.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom