Clicking in drivers footwell

mustangrules

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Does anyone know what causes the clicking noise coming from the drivers footwell , I have a 2022 MG5 LR sound’s like a relay clicking and mainly does it at slower speed’s doesn’t do it when you are driving above 40-50mph or more so I thought it may be the regen breaking but still does it even when turned off ! Any light shined on this issue would be good .

Off and on intermittently it was only on the odd occasion when new but seems more frequently now , doesn’t seem to be a pattern just annoying.

Long shot but wife had a Vauxhall’s Corsa before the mg4 and a couple of years ago it had a similar sound it was eventually found to be from the steering column play in the UJ joint at the bottom of the column.
Also I know some ZS owners have had problems a bit like this, and had a replacement column fitted.
Les

Does anyone know what causes the clicking noise coming from the drivers footwell , I have a 2022 MG5 LR sound’s like a relay clicking and mainly does it at slower speed’s doesn’t do it when you are driving above 40-50mph or more so I thought it may be the regen breaking but still does it even when turned off ! Any light shined on this issue would be good .
I recognize this aswel, I do not bother. This is defenately some relay clicking since mine already did it from new. And it is way to constant in its frequency to be any play on the steering joints.

Agreed definitely not the steering column ! I would say it’s a relay but for what ? and why does it need to be clicking on and off randomly ,I am sure there’s a simple answer but is there a fix Or maybe find the offending relay and put some sound deadening over it !

... and why does it need to be clicking on and off randomly ,I am sure there’s a simple answer but is there a fix Or maybe find the offending relay and put some sound deadening over it !
Answer is it doesn't need to be clicking. Take it to a dealer and get it fixed.

Agreed definitely not the steering column ! I would say it’s a relay but for what ? and why does it need to be clicking on and off randomly ,I am sure there’s a simple answer but is there a fix Or maybe find the offending relay and put some sound deadening over it !
Yeh mine does that sometimes at low speed, you'll only usually hear it if the car is otherwise quiet but exactly as you describe sounds like a relay switching.

Was hoping that someone has already figured out what it is which would be a lot easier to get it sorted out and advise the dealer next time it’s in for a service ! the clicking noise is definitely coming from the drivers footwell bottom of drivers door area .

Was hoping that someone has already figured out what it is which would be a lot easier to get it sorted out and advise the dealer next time it’s in for a service ! the clicking noise is definitely coming from the drivers footwell bottom of drivers door area .
Funny enough, same with me and my driving position is on the left side, which is the right side :p

I have reached out to the service center and they took in my relay description issue and another one I was calling for. Let's see if there is anything substantial coming out of this.

I had that, turns out it was my ankle.

Finally I have an appointment at the 25th of july to also resolve some issue still there from the delivery inspection.
Also what has developed is a tick during loadshift, I have also put that in my appointment. The service rep consulted and told me it is not a safety issue so I can keep driving the car. Probably a motormount or something, we will see.

Hi Well here is the explanation from the dealer which I doubt is correct. The clicking can be for heating the ADAS camera or camera's. I am posting here the clicking and I am curious of any other person has experienced this and had a different outcome by a dealer assessment.

Was it ABS noise?
When I drove my ZS trophy to a roundabout, there was a queue on one lane for going straight and I need to turn left through half lane. I felt brake pedal vibration when I pass queue with fast speed and slowing down. I guess the safety feature was ready to kick in for avoiding collision. My tires were also wet and muddy at that time. It only happened to me once.

Last edited:
Hi Well here is the explanation from the dealer which I doubt is correct. The clicking can be for heating the ADAS camera or camera's. I am posting here the clicking and I am curious of any other person has experienced this and had a different outcome by a dealer assessment.

Hi, Did you get to the bottom of the clicking noise ? I don’t believe the camera theory either as it only really does it at lower speeds as soon as you go over say 35mph no clicking ! So if it was a camera heater that wouldn’t affect the difference of speed . Bloody annoying though

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom