Cold Footwell

The job is done.

It isn't one continuous area and my sizes are approximate.
There are several areas above, to the left and right where there is bare metal or gaps.
They are located more by touch than by sight.

I ended up cutting a number of 30 cm squares which I rolled/folded and stuffed into the various gaps, making sure not to obstruct anything.
Also a 10 cm square and a 10 by 25 cm strip which I secured with double sided tape above and to the left of the steering column.

Hopefully I will feel a difference later. I may need to look at the passenger side as well.
Bit like when I was a child and built karts from old wood, boxes and pram wheels. Used an old cushion as padding under the bum ! šŸš— :)

Maybe that where MG got the design for the ZS ev. :unsure:

That gap below the screen might be the reason the windscreen mists up so much, getting moisture from wet feet etc.
I'm sure I saw a rubber seal to fit the gap at the bottom of the screen inside on Ali Express a while back, must have another look. :unsure:

Well you guys have had me laying on my back in the cold today.
In my car I can see a white coloured blanket stapled to the underside of the dash top and the rubber matting that goes up to the bottom of the windscreen. The only uncovered metal is to the bottom corner of the windscreen but I canā€™t see any ā€œ holesā€ under there.
Funnily, my wife says her feet feel cold whilst driving the car.

Might have to get some of this wadding as well, I have noticed it be a bit cold on the feet whilst my body is nice and warm. Not as bad when avoiding the motorway however.
Probably easier to use sticky back velcro on the car interior panels and sticking the wadding onto that.

It would be really useful if someone could advise what thickness to use for this please, as the eBay link given has several different thicknesses available & personally Iā€™d like to increase it a bit if possible. šŸ¤ž

Some BMW's have double glazing and I think the new Tesla has too.

(there are probably numerous others )

Last edited:
I canā€™t help thinking this is a air ducting issue rather than lack of insulation. Most if not all of the insulation you see in the car is for sound and not heat.

Any comments about the thickness please guys? Iā€™d like to order some but the eBay link shows there are several thickness - which are expressed as weights.

In anticipation........

You don't need a lot probably a 60cm square piece is plenty, just look under the steering wheel as the photos above show and fill the bare metal parts with this, it makes such a difference

Having stuffed wadding into the gaps as described earlier, my feed back is that can feel a noticeable difference.
Before it was hard to tell if the heating was on because my feet and legs felt cold.

I think previously all the heat ducted to the foot well was just going straight up into the dashboard.

Concerning the thickness - my wadding was about an inch thick uncompressed. In most places I stuffed a double thickness into the gaps.

Having stuffed wadding into the gaps as described earlier, my feed back is that can feel a noticeable difference.
Before it was hard to tell if the heating was on because my feet and legs felt cold.

I think previously all the heat ducted to the foot well was just going straight up into the dashboard.

Concerning the thickness - my wadding was about an inch thick uncompressed. In most places I stuffed a double thickness into the gaps.
Strange that the passengers side is not affected in the same way ?.
Is adding the extra padding really THAT noticeable ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom