Collection and First Drive of my Camden Grey Xpower

Can you please confirm if plastic or metal please @JonnyG
Yes, they are metal and come off with a suitably sized alum key. They are quite tight and needed a bit of a hammer on a few ! Probably best to use some copperease or something when screwing them back on. This is what I needed to get mine off after jacking the car up and removing the wheel. The little plastic grippers are great for getting the black plastic wheel bolt cap covers off.

With and without.

Black painting not finished yet !

Attachments

• IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    952 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    715 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2252.JPG
    IMG_2252.JPG
    741.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    639.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    698.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    941.4 KB · Views: 194
Thanks for posting, I have to admit I don't like the look of the calipers without the covers. So may have to leave them on 😡
Yes I agree, they look a big ugly without - there seems to be two metal colour tones - one the caliper itself, and the other the frame supporting the cover with the screw hole showing.

TBH I've leased loads of cars in the past and I doubt they would bat an eyelid at painted caliper covers as long as there's no damage. Afterall the car will be 2 or 3 or 4 years old by the time you return it. I'll post pics with the black covers on tomorrow. Paint & lacqer drying overnight !

Attachments

• IMG_2257.JPG
    IMG_2257.JPG
    529.6 KB · Views: 179
Nice job, much improved in my opinion, now very much a sleeper.
I have been thinking about what you said regarding the lease car and will paint them myself. I may buy a second set of covers, depending on price and availability and paint those, allowing me to return to stock. May then be able to sell the painted set.

Forgot to ask what products you used and presume you lightly sanded to provide a key for black coat?

Nice job, much improved in my opinion, now very much a sleeper.
I have been thinking about what you said regarding the lease car and will paint them myself. I may buy a second set of covers, depending on price and availability and paint those, allowing me to return to stock. May then be able to sell the painted set.
If you do decide to paint them just one thing I did'nt mention to do. It's pretty obvious, but the screw holes have circular rubber grommets in them. They are easy to remove for painting and then putting back after the paint has dried 👍

Forgot to ask what products you used and presume you lightly sanded to provide a key for black coat?
Yes, I sanded them to remove the gloss and then used the following products. I applied about four thin coats of each, 20 minutes apart and then dried overnight in a warm area.

From Amazon :-

1. JENOLITE Brake Caliper Paint | BLACK | Restore & Transform Car Brake Calipers
2. E-TECH XHT High Temperature Cleat Coat Lacquer Spray Paint - XHT006C

Amazon product ASIN B09RKM3JRS
Amazon product ASIN B00ZXZP480

I picked up my new Xpower form Cars2 MG Wakefield this morning. Everything seemed in order and I had quite a checklist of thing to look at after reading all the threads on this forum. The bonnet insulation was in place, the undertray bulges were minimal (a few mm at most), no sign of oil leaks, windscreen washer jets sprayed fine on the window etc. etc.. The salesman Brad setup and binded my Ismart App and setup Apple Carplay and the menu appeared on the left. However on leaving the dealer to drive home the CarPlay menu was correctly positioned on the right !

It came with a a 3-pin charger in an MG case. I tested this back at home and all seems to charge OK (very slowly).

A few pics here :-

First job is to spray the caliper covers gloss black I've decided.

The drive home was very similar to my test drive. The vibration reported by others through the steering wheel at around 65-75 is minimal on mine, and although I could feel it initially it seemed to go away once cruising rather than accelerating up to 70. It was certainly a lot better that driving on many of todays road surfaces and I suspect I will only detect it on smooth surfaces on gentle acceleration. I do not for one minute think this is a big problem ... certainly not so far on my car.
Am I hearing right, a brand new car, out the box has a vibration? Isn't this engineering 101. I'm interested to see how this plays out. Would you update after a few thousand miles to see if the issues go away please

As per you previous posts I know you are a aware of this and cancelled your order for this exact reason. I'm very glad I did'nt cancel as it's not an issue at all for me, and IMHO is far far less than the feeling you get with many ICE cars as they go up the gears through certain rev ranges.

I'd be interested to hear what other new Xpower owners think - Brettus and Brickmaster1967 ? ..... but will happily keep you updated as I drive the car more and more on motorways journeys etc. 👍

As per you previous posts I know you are a aware of this and cancelled your order for this exact reason. I'm very glad I did'nt cancel as it's not an issue at all for me, and IMHO is far far less than the feeling you get with many ICE cars as they go up the gears through certain rev ranges.

I'd be intersted to hear what other new Xpower owners think - Brettus and Brickmaster1967 ? ..... but will happily keep you updated as I drive the car more and more on motorways journeys etc. 👍
Cheers. Harmonic vibrations eventually cause some failure but MG might put a fix in place.

Hi JonnyG
Lampymic pm'd me about this earlier.
I've started a dedicated thread so it doesn't get lost. 👍

Good colour choice !.
A proper “Sleeper” when the calliper covers receive a colour change from that bright orange.
If the car was subject to a lease, then then I would just remove the plastic covers and refit them when the car goes back.
Are the orange bits just plastic covers? I just ordered an Xpower in white on a lease and was thinking how I could get rid of those nasty orange callipers..

Appreciate any pointers how best to achieve this.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom