Condensation in rear light clusters

Niall B

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
Only just had my MG ZS EV just over a week and have noticed that there is condensation build up in rear light clusters. Passenger side outer cluster only, but driver's side inner a and outer cluster. Has anyone else on the forum encountered this problem.
Thanks Niall

Hi all.
Only just had my MG ZS EV just over a week and have noticed that there is condensation build up in rear light clusters. Passenger side outer cluster only, but driver's side inner a and outer cluster. Has anyone else on the forum encountered this problem.
Thanks Niall
Not me.

I’ve not seen this on mine Niall - do you have any pics? Sounds like a trip back to the dealer...

Did wonder if the supplying dealer may have pressure washed the car during the presale valeting

Attachments

• IMG_20210201_161005301.jpg
    IMG_20210201_161005301.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20210201_161015159.jpg
    IMG_20210201_161015159.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20210201_161026253.jpg
    IMG_20210201_161026253.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 164
Wow. They’re full of water. Take it back. I’ve not come across this on the forum but I’m sure others will tell you if they have.

I never use a pressure washer on a car.....water is forced into parts that were never designed to resist it.

Yes, I'd take it back to the dealer.....there are lots of opportunities for snapping little plastic clips, when removing the rear lights.

Hi, I'm going to have a little look at the light clusters my self tomorrow after a visit to Shaw's of Louth to be told that would have a look at the problem to determine if it's covered under warranty but if they felt it was not I would be charged for there time, I then spoke to the supplying dealer (in the same town) that if Shaw's charged me then I would expect them to pay the cost, as you can imagine they we're not happy about this idea and suggested I take the car to them so they could dry the light clusters out,
My problem is if the previous owner has been trying to fit LED's or something like that and damaged clips then (1) it's wouldn't be under MG's warranty and (2) drying the clusters out won't solve the problems, So could I ask chrispydoc if in his experience can you see the the clips that he suggested could easily break when trying to remove the clusters , so I can inspect them and possibly photograph them before deciding on how to proceed next.
For someone who is still trying to reconcile spending so much on any car, let alone a Chinese MG this sort of hassle is the last thing that I need. The more I drive it the better I like it but being bounced around between dealers is enough to want to hand the car back.
Maybe I'll talk to the new MG dealer in Grimsby called Reads. 🙄
Great forum and thanks for all the replays to my two posts.

I certainly broke a couple of the clips, the clips on the black plastic trim covers and the lights themselves...as I remember. When you've got it stripped down it is easier to see what's what...but its a bit late then!.........is there anything on YouTube ?

Hi, I'm going to have a little look at the light clusters my self tomorrow after a visit to Shaw's of Louth to be told that would have a look at the problem to determine if it's covered under warranty but if they felt it was not I would be charged for there time, I then spoke to the supplying dealer (in the same town) that if Shaw's charged me then I would expect them to pay the cost, as you can imagine they we're not happy about this idea and suggested I take the car to them so they could dry the light clusters out,
My problem is if the previous owner has been trying to fit LED's or something like that and damaged clips then (1) it's wouldn't be under MG's warranty and (2) drying the clusters out won't solve the problems, So could I ask chrispydoc if in his experience can you see the the clips that he suggested could easily break when trying to remove the clusters , so I can inspect them and possibly photograph them before deciding on how to proceed next.
For someone who is still trying to reconcile spending so much on any car, let alone a Chinese MG this sort of hassle is the last thing that I need. The more I drive it the better I like it but being bounced around between dealers is enough to want to hand the car back.

I'd not recommend Reads in Grimsby, they ripped off my father in law to the tune of £1300, he was starting to suffer early signs of dementia and they used that against him, changing out parts that were in perfect condition on his low mileage 3 year old car. It was despicable.

Will have a look on YouTube tonight thanks.
Will bear in mind what you say about Reads, just don't know who you can trust these days.
Thanks

Goodness Niall that's not good mate. If there are clips broken as Chrisydoc refers too then I guess the best solution would be to replace the unit/s or remove and put some sealer around the rim. But what a mess that could be. An MG dealer will not cover it under warrantee if they think someone or other has been messing about anything. Something people need to remember when "fiddling" with parts as you will read they do on here!

If it's a second hand car bought from a non MG dealer and not an "approved" car from a main MG dealer without that warrantee, if its covered, then its Caveat emptor i.e Let the buyer beware

I have condensation and mainly in my left outer taillight. I've changed the bulbs (and most likely broke a few clips so I don't think MG would repair it if faulty)

I'm sure a bit of silicone type sealer would do the job...it could looks a bit messy.

I don't think the black plastic trims would cost much money. Ive opted to use some heavy duty black gaffer tape and you cant see it unless the tailgate is open...so its no big deal......just a bit irritating knowing its there. :mad:

I'm sure a bit of silicone type sealer would do the job...it could looks a bit messy.

I don't think the black plastic trims would cost much money. Ive opted to use some heavy duty black gaffer tape and you cant see it unless the tailgate is open...so its no big deal......just a bit irritating knowing its there. :mad:
Can you show us a picture of what you’ve done?

Thanks for all your feedback, if and when it stops raining I'll carefully remove and have a good look at the clusters and fitments, if there's no damage I'll dry them out in the airing cupboard, refit and see if it happens again. If I find damage then a visit to MG is a none starter, so will look for suitable product on the Web to do some sort of repair, it's amazing what's out there (glue, tap's of all type mouldable putty some that set and some that stay playable and so on) used some sealing putty before to seal up lights on my other summer toy.
Thanks all your advice and feedback, I will update about what I found and did next, at the end of the day it's not the end of the world but just frustrating, that if allowed takes the shine of getting the MG that's been great so far. HaHo 🙃

Is the car brand new and/or are there any signs of repair to the rear end ?
I would take it to the dealers before you attempt any repair yourself or they may say you have done any damage they find.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom