Condensation in rear light clusters

Hasn’t the supplying dealer offered to do this for you?

If you have purchased the car in good faith from a dealer (which I believe from what you say you have) and it’s developed a fault shortly after purchase - then the supplying dealer should be given the opportunity to put it right for you. Why wouldn’t you take it back to them?

There are lots of YT videos about sealing rear light clusters and plenty of liquid rubber products silicon will do the same thing but the warranty is transferable isn't it, so take it to a main dealer.

Forgot to say to Gomev's post about led fitments. There's a couple of interesting clips that relate to fitting LEDs that would suggest it's not a good idea in the back lights and it's a MOT failure in the head lights. There's been a lot of discussion over the years about LED bulbs in historic cars and the way they project the light.
Personal I'm hot going down the LED route.

I have LEDs in my Historic but that is due to having a dynamo, and less current draw, main light bulbs are halogen changed by a PO. I updated the wiring for those. But being Historic I can put anything I like in there as there is no E mark. It is about choosing the right bulb for the job.

Had to visit the supplying dealer to pick up a set of wheel nut caps, showed him the condensation build-up in the lights, he suggested it was that the car had been stood on the lot for a couple of weeks but suggested I took it to the MG dealer for them to look at. But the problem is if the MG dealer doesn't think it's a MG problem that's covered by the warranty then I would be charged for their time to look at it.
I informed the supplying dealer of this and suggested if this was the case he should stand the cost as you can imagine there not happy about this idea, but said they would dry them out for me. But this may not address the route cause of the water ingress. Only hide it in the short term, and this is why I am going to have a look myself and then decide what to do next. MG warranty visit, return to supplying dealer or home fix.

I sympathise. It should be straightforward to establish if anyone has modified or damaged the rear lights or if it’s a warranty call on MG - and then take if from there. Shame that you’re having a problem - but you’ll sort it I’m sure and enjoy your car.

Was just changing the reversing bulbs there, and noticed there's a little bit of condensation in mine. And unlike the headlights, there's no space to chuck some silica gel in 🤔.

If the lights have no evidence of DIY bodging, and it has the original bulbs, there's no discussion, the car is warranted by MG and they have to fix it.

For reference, tail lights do not get like this from standing, or jet washing, they are faulty, or have been damaged.

If an incompetent has been at the clusters and they have clearly been damaged, I'd advise against all the advice given in here for use of tape or sealant. Just do the job properly and replace the units. If MG are prohibitively expensive, you can buy them from aliexpress.com suppliers for a good price. Just search "MG ZS rear light unit" ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, still raining here so opportunity to have a good look. Other car in the garage, and not willing to put her out in the rain.

I ordered some bulbs for the tail light and reverse lights but if this will be a side effect not too keen... Did any one change the tail lights and not have this problem?

I ordered some bulbs for the tail light and reverse lights but if this will be a side effect not too keen... Did any one change the tail lights and not have this problem?
Changing bulbs, whether for original or led types should have no effect on the water tightness of the light clusters.

@Niall B , if you bought from a trader, then the trader have to fix it, irrespective of the MG warranty. By English law they are responsible for 6 months for any problems that can be established were there at the point of sale.

@Paulie68 At least two users of this thread have acknowledged breaking clips and losing water tight seal. The problem with "affordable" cars is that clips are easily broken.
Maybe a "how to" would help in preventing clips from breaking.

Hi, just to let all know, that after a lot communications with the supplying dealer it was eventually agreed to take the car to the new local MG dealer for them to have a look at the condensation issue. They concluded that the seal had failed and the cluster should be replaced under warranty, the condensation in the other clusters had dried up by the time I took the car in..
Thanks to everyone for there comments and helpful advice.
Niall

Hi all.
Only just had my MG ZS EV for just over a week and have noticed that there is condensation build-up in rear light clusters. Passenger side outer cluster only, but the driver's side inner a and outer cluster. Has anyone else on the forum encountered this problem?
Thanks, Niall
Not had that issue but noticed when I upgraded the headlights that they have moisture trap bags in the headlight housing where the bulbs go so they must suffer from condensation, these bags don't last forever so a bit concerned about the years to come.

Not had that issue but noticed when I upgraded the headlights that they have moisture trap bags in the headlight housing where the bulbs go so they must suffer from condensation, these bags don't last forever so a bit concerned about the years to come.
I know some folks have those, and some don't (I do), but a replacement silica gel pack is pennies. In the event they need replacing (and there's been no reason so far to think it'll be an issue any time soon) it's probably one of the cheapest service items on the car 🤣

I would say as soon as you see condensation, replace them.
Sometimes you can dry them out in the microwave, then place them on a central heating radiator.

I know some folks have those, and some don't (I do), but a replacement silica gel pack is pennies. In the event they need replacing (and there's been no reason so far to think it'll be an issue any time soon) it's probably one of the cheapest service items on the car 🤣
Maybe a silica gel pack is in the high mileage service plan....lol

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom