Condensation Issues?

IKE

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I’m not sure if this is normal for a PHEV, but is anyone else experiencing a high level,of condensation in the morning or even when driving. I know it’s colder (outside) at this time of the year but I‘m thinking this is excessive, and it takes ages to clear with the screen at full blast. Could it be that the batteries are keeping the cabin “warm” and therefore damp? I’ve had many new petrol and diesel cars but this is the first PHEV so I just would like to know if this is “normal”.
I’m also looking at the car dehumidifier concept, but I would be disappointed if I have to go down that route.
Thanks

Hi,
I can relate to this.
I picked up my EHS PHEV here in Amsterdam on Friday, and I've noticed that there's no hot air while driving in EV mode, which is similar to the post above. As soon as I put the heating on, it switches to petrol mode. This does kind of make sense, but it means I had window condensation which I couldn't clear in EV mode.

It's not a big deal, but I would also like to know if this is expected behaviour or is there a fault...

I love the car by the way, it's absolutely outstanding. Compares really well with previous cars which have included Range Rover, Discovery, Jaguar.
- Ian.

I did suffer from condensation, well the I40 did, had a couple of Discos, both with leaky roofs that didn't help!!
I use some "absorbing" bags can get from EBay Amazon ETC, they have an indicator disc when they need to be dried out, just put them in a microwave for a few minute's to dry them out.
During the winter months they stayed on the dash, really helped to keep down condensation,
luckily the HS isn't suffer from this problem, but keeping the bags on standby just incase.

Yes since i have had the car , its really been the 1st time i need to defrost / demist the car in the morning , so im still playing around with the heating.
You can use the defrost / demist button , and i then change the temp from low to 25 ish , but this starts the ICE.
Once it clears then i turn this button off , and so it goes to the normal HVAC controls , and if its warm enough i can then go into EV mode.
The crazy thing re the HVAC, you do not have a windscreen only option , you only have windscreen and feet ??? Why would i want feet at the same time as the windscreen ??? does not make sense to me.
Its a shame this is no windscreen only ( like most other cars)
The other main point is , even though the air vents for the windscreen are very long under the windscreen, when you feel the actual air , its strong in the middle , but very weak at the edges ( basically under where you want to see as a driver) . This means the middle of the screen clears quick but the rest a lot slower, so the drivers view takes quite a while to clear

I noticed if the car has been outside at 3°c , there is allot of condensation, I had to use the heating to get it to clear.

But hey....I also have a seat Ibiza from 2019 , and if you leave that outside at those temperatures , it also has condensation....

There is no car in the world that has no condensation without hearing on at 3°c...I can guarantee it.

I find the demisting button works like a charm.

Oh and btw for all EHS users: IF u ever set the heating to AUTO , change the air inlet from (a) to "air from outside".
It does not change the auto heating mode but your car will fog up really bad after a week or two if you keep using the auto function in combination with the air inlet on (a)....

Don't know how to explain.

Hi all I am trying this out in my MG5 got it from Tesco for £8:00. The theory is if I can cut down on any moisture in the car it will also reduce any condensation on the windows.
The HVAC in the MG5 is quite good and it does have a windscreen only setting but it does use the battery of course which can and does effects the range a little, anyhow will update you as the weather gets colder as to if this helps or not, in the last of the 3 pictures below you can see the bag is full of crystals which turn green when the moisture content gets high and then you pop it in the microwave for 6 minutes to dry it out and then reuse it.
Les
2B420652-E406-4E48-803D-2B33143839C1.jpeg
AF9C7AB1-D6AA-4A5E-973A-B681D5959401.jpeg
CE8A8F9B-18B6-4A0B-A13D-6B751B4903F6.jpeg

I’ve had similar with MG ZS EV and don’t really want to keep using heater due to mileage. I find them dehumidifier bags or some of the wipes/ sprays on the market don’t work (one made worse) and have before driven with the window open so didn’t have to put heater on to prevent fogging up.

The crazy thing re the HVAC, you do not have a windscreen only option , you only have windscreen and feet ???Why would i want feet at the same time as the windscreen ???
Its a shame this is no windscreen only ( like most other)
correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the windscreen demist button on the piano key next to the rear windscreen demist blows front windscreen only? Once you press it the blower will blow at maximum. Just turn it down back to 1/2 and it will just continue to blow the windscreen only at a slower speed. This is what I have it and I leave there so it keeps blowing the windscreen.

Hi all I am trying this out in my MG5 got it from Tesco for £8:00. The theory is if I can cut down on any moisture in the car it will also reduce any condensation on the windows.
The HVAC in the MG5 is quite good and it does have a windscreen only setting but it does use the battery of course which can and does effects the range a little, anyhow will update you as the weather gets colder as to if this helps or not, in the last of the 3 pictures below you can see the bag is full of crystals which turn green when the moisture content gets high and then you pop it in the microwave for 6 minutes to dry it out and then reuse it.
Les
View attachment 5513
Silica gel crystals.. nice. I have a jar full from Lateral flow tests from last 12 months

We had this problem in our 9 month old mg5. Now seems to be solved by cleaning the front windscreen inside with an anti fog window cleaner spray (from a shell garage) using a microfibre and chamois leather.

We were surprised that the inside of a new car could get so dusty (after all the external air is supposed to have come through a pollen filter). But I think that there may be minute particles of dust that come from new car seat fabrics that cause the problem. My sister works for a company that makes car seat fabrics. She says that fabrics are tested to try to ensure they are anti fog but I think that some fabrics must be more prone to this problem than others.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom