bimbamboodle

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Happy New Year everyone! I have a question about charging. My car was quite low on Monday night so I put it on to schedule charge overnight, 3.5 hours. I wouldn’t expect it to get to 80% but I didn’t use the car yesterday so left it connected and felt sure it would charge again between the scheduled hours but this morning it was still only at 72%. My question is should it have charged as it was still plugged in or does it need to be unlocked/locked etc to set it off on its scheduled charge? Thanks

I have charging scheduled from 12.30 - 4.30 am via the iSMART app, and my car (SR) will charge on consecutive nights if it remains plugged in and unused in between, provided, of course, that it hasn’t already reached 100%. If you have a long range MG, what was the battery percentage set at? Also, I suppose it depends on your EVSE, and how that is set up. I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, but never set scheduled charging through its’ app.

Good question.
I would hazard a guess that its a temperature related condition maybe ?.
So, the battery SOC hits the 80% ( but did it ) level then stopped charging, ambient temp drops and also battery itself cools down, so in the morning it reports a slightly lower figure now.
Or, say you have a preset "finish" time to align with the end of your cheaper off peak rate.
It hits this time line and the charging has stopped JUST before you reached the 80% SOC level you have pre-set.
My feelings are that if you left it plugged in at it's present 72% SOC level, then depending on the ambient temp, then the following night it should have picked up on the 80% target and commenced a short charging cycle ?.
However, I am not sure that is a great idea to be totally honest especially on the LR model with the NMC battery chemistry.
Each battery charge cycle is counted, if you get my drift, therefore charging again from 72% back up to 80% just to gain that very little extra range is not really worth it.
The standard range model with the LFP is a slightly different situation.

I have charging scheduled from 12.30 - 4.30 am via the iSMART app, and my car (SR) will charge on consecutive nights if it remains plugged in and unused in between, provided, of course, that it hasn’t already reached 100%. If you have a long range MG, what was the battery percentage set at? Also, I suppose it depends on your EVSE, and how that is set up. I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, but never set scheduled charging through its’ app.
It’s a LR ZS and in the car it’s set to charge to 80%. It was low 30% on Monday afternoon and I doubt it would have quite got to 80% in one hit between 12.30 and 4.00am (I think) but would have expected it to top it up the next evening. I used to monitor it through the mg ISMART app but that has kicked my car off since its update over Christmas and refuses to rebind! The charger is Home Smart EV but I’ve never used a specific app for that.

Good question.
I would hazard a guess that its a temperature related condition maybe ?.
So, the battery SOC hits the 80% ( but did it ) level then stopped charging, ambient temp drops and also battery itself cools down, so in the morning it reports a slightly lower figure now.
Or, say you have a preset "finish" time to align with the end of your cheaper off peak rate.
It hits this time line and the charging has stopped JUST before you reached the 80% SOC level you have pre-set.
My feelings are that if you left it plugged in at it's present 72% SOC level, then depending on the ambient temp, then the following night it should have picked up on the 80% target and commenced a short charging cycle ?.
However, I am not sure that is a great idea to be totally honest especially on the LR model with the NMC battery chemistry.
Each battery charge cycle is counted, if you get my drift, therefore charging again from 72% back up to 80% just to gain that very little extra range is not really worth it.
The standard range model with the LFP is a slightly different situation.
Sorry I don’t know what SOC means but I get what you’re saying about it possibly cooling down but to lose 8% seems quite a lot especially as it’s very mild at the moment. Thanks

What EVSE and Tariff do you have. If your are on IOG then you will need to unplug to generate a new schedule.
Sorry what do you mean by EVSE? We are on Octopus and have it set to charge to take advantage of the lower cost between 12.30am and 4am (maybe 4.30). What is IOG?

SOC - State Of Charge ( sorry ).
The state / level of the battery percentage.
Aha! It was on low 30’s before the initial charge overnight mon to tues, then I don’t know as I didn’t get in the car yesterday, just left it hooked up and thought it’d be up to the max set of 80% today!

Sorry what do you mean by EVSE? We are on Octopus and have it set to charge to take advantage of the lower cost between 12.30am and 4am (maybe 4.30). What is IOG?
EVSE electric vehicle supply equipment the wallbox.
IOG Intelligent Octopus Go sounds like your are on Go 0030-0430

In the past few days, i have noticed my LR seems to be dropping the mileage at full 100% charge, slightly above 200 miles. I currently use the slow Granny home charger.
Any information on why the miles keep dropping at 100% charge from 273

In the past few days, i have noticed my LR seems to be dropping the mileage at full 100% charge, slightly above 200 miles. I currently use the slow Granny home charger.
Hi, is cold and the HV battery charges better when warm.
What is your current mi/kWh? Summer you may get near 4 but in the winter 3 so that a 25-35% drop in range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Take note of your miles/kWh. Reset the trip meters every drive from full charge.

To achieve advertised WLTP range, your power consumption must be 3.76miles/kWh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ref Bimbamboodle, I had the same issue the other day, and was worried that the charger was not working. My GOM was showing only 130 miles but was supposedly fully charged (mk1 car).
Then I realised I had done an unusual trip the day before so zeroed everything - then GOM showed 162 miles. So it really was fully charged but GOM was misleading me.
Simples.

Not sure I understand you, Gadget geek. Usually when I charge overnight I get a GOM reading of between 150 and 165 miles, but on this occasion it was only 130 miles. When the daily and longer term recordings were reset the GOM returned to 162. Problem was unusual trip the day before. Thus previous GOM would only be correct if I was to do another unusual trip.

I was just pointing out that the factory default estimated mileage shown when you reset the counters will not take into account the time of year or weather conditions. If you plan a journey thinking you will go 162 miles, you will run out of charge.

OK, but my response was to Bimbamboodle's query about whether his battery was charged or not.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom