Considering Switching from MG5 LR (old version) to the new ZS Trophy. Any thoughts, advice?

defeatedbythecat

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Have the LR for 2 years and it's been reliable and the range has been fine. Generally a decent car, but I really could do with some of the smart features in the newer models.

My kids are coming out of the push chair phase so I can afford to lose a little space in the boot.

But wondering if there are some considerations I might not have taken into account?

One of the reasons I chose the MG5 over the ZS initially was that it supposedly didn't regen on Auto Cruise. The range was another consideration.
Anything like that would be invaluable.

The MG5 has much better regen, being integrated rather than an afterthought, and consequently is much easier to drive efficiently. Range wise though they are about the same. The one thing I did miss from the ZS when I had an MG5 for 4 months was the app and being able to pre-heat the car when it's cold. The ZS infotainment system is pretty pathetic but is better than the MG5; having a bigger screen and being more responsive. The ZS with the pano roof is definitely lighter inside than the MG5 I had, which was quite dingy and you'll notice the ride height difference. Towbar and V2L on the ZS, if they're of interest? LED headlights on the ZS are much better than the MG5.

Just posted a journey I did today in my LR Trophy.

201 miles without stopping to charge. :)

Lifting bicycle to top of ZS is not easy.

Bonnet is huge. It blocks view for negotiating narrow path in multi-storey car park.

I like to sitting higher for better view. I hate high SUV bonnet blocking my view at roundabout. Now I drive one.

It is easier to park a short car. Short and tall car will sway more.

I chose ZS Trophy for height, safety features, comfort, iSmart remote defrost, cost and short wheelbase. I am very happy with it. I wish to keep my ZS for 15 years.

Have the LR for 2 years and it's been reliable and the range has been fine. Generally a decent car, but I really could do with some of the smart features in the newer models.

My kids are coming out of the push chair phase so I can afford to lose a little space in the boot.

But wondering if there are some considerations I might not have taken into account?

One of the reasons I chose the MG5 over the ZS initially was that it supposedly didn't regen on Auto Cruise. The range was another consideration.
Anything like that would be invaluable.
From an efficiency point of view and a boot space point of view the ZS is backwards step.

I'd go with the facelift MG5.

From an efficiency point of view and a boot space point of view the ZS is backwards step.

I'd go with the facelift MG5.
I'd have looked into the MG5 but there are two issues for me. The Trophy has less range than my current non facelift at 235 vs 250 (not a lot I know, but some of my monthly drives push within 20 miles of that figure)

AND currently, most importantly, there is no 0% finance on the MG5 (I never do interest bearing credit).

I think perhaps I could live with the range drop for all the quality of life improvements that the newer model provides.

No regen on ACC on the ZS makes it much less attractive for me personally

Have you looked at Hyundai or Kia? There's some good deals on Kona and eNiro at the moment and they are pretty good on efficiency.

Just posted a journey I did today in my LR Trophy.

201 miles without stopping to charge. :)
201? I went 234 the other day with, over 10% left on arrival! 😎

I managed to secure a 0% deal on my (old) MG5 for the full 7 years so plan to keep it until I can get the latest version on the same deal. It’s surely going to happen before then with changes in government and push towards EVs. We also have a ZS EV LR. Both cars are competent. We use the ZS if we’re going far and if night driving is required because the MG5 is awful at night. However I notice a very small steering wheel click when driving the ZS which my partner doesn’t feel (known issue I’ll get checked at the next service) so I prefer driving the 5. Both cars have done 20k miles.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom