Cooking phone

Mike Cornwall

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Picked up my SR today. Very good, except for the wireless charging.
It cooks my phone, its almost certainly my phone rather than the car, I have a Oneplus 9 Pro, it does this occasionally in my wife's car when running android auto.
Anybody else get this with the same phone or any other phone.
IMG-20220623-WA0001.jpeg

It cooks my phone, its almost certainly my phone rather than the car, I have a Oneplus 9 Pro, it does this occasionally in my wife's car when running android auto.
Anybody else get this with the same phone or any other phone. View attachment 9215
Hi I've picked up my MG ZS EV long range yesterday and found the same thing. Running a OnePlus 10 Pro. I'm going to adjust the wireless charging settings on the phone to see if there is any luck with it.

Haven't had chance to test yet, I'll post again if I have any joy.

Hi I've picked up my MG ZS EV long range yesterday and found the same thing. Running a OnePlus 10 Pro. I'm going to adjust the wireless charging settings on the phone to see if there is any luck with it.

Haven't had chance to test yet, I'll post again if I have any joy.
Oh really, I found a website with someone having problems with wireless charging on a Oneplus 9 in another car.
Not only does it cook the phone but drains the battery at a rate of knots!!
It looks like it might be ok plugging in through.
I'll have to look at how to change wireless settings.

Oh really, I found a website with someone having problems with wireless charging on a Oneplus 9 in another car.
Not only does it cook the phone but drains the battery at a rate of knots!!
It looks like it might be ok plugging in through.
I'll have to look at how to change wireless settings.
Hopefully there is a solution out there. I bought the aawireless dongle to convert the car to wireless android auto to pair with the wireless charger.

If I end up plugging in for longer trips it will kind of defeat the object. My phone settings had quiet charging on as standard so going to turn that off and give it a go tomorrow.

Pixel 5 running Android auto through AA wireless, and gets hot enough to stop charging through the wireless pad on my ZE50.

Think what you're seeing is a problem with Android rather than the charger.

Pixel 5 running Android auto through AA wireless, and gets hot enough to stop charging through the wireless pad on my ZE50.

Think what you're seeing is a problem with Android rather than the charger.
I have just put on the AA wireless, so it could be that. But I was surprised how much the battery had gone down on my drive home from the dealership, but had not picked my phone up when I got back so no idea whether it got hot or not, but thinking about it now I think it probably did.

Hopefully there is a solution out there. I bought the aawireless dongle to convert the car to wireless android auto to pair with the wireless charger.

If I end up plugging in for longer trips it will kind of defeat the object. My phone settings had quiet charging on as standard so going to turn that off and give it a go tomorrow.
Thats never going to end well.

@Hotlush It's not an issue with android, but an issue with physics

Rendering a map on a car screen + running GPS + using WiFi and Bluetooth --> CPU heat
Wireless charging --> Heat produced by inefficiencies of wireless charging + heat produced by battery as a result of charging a battery

Seen other people try it in the discussion of the AA page with the same issue. Phone is simply not made to dissipate that much heat. I have to put my note10+ in the cool box (under armrest) of my HS if i want to wired charge it while using AAwireless otherwise it overheats and stops charging.

Anybody else get this with the same phone or any other phone. View attachment 9215
Glad you got your car Mike. Looks nice in white.

Thats never going to end well.

@Hotlush It's not an issue with android, but an issue with physics

Rendering a map on a car screen + running GPS + using WiFi and Bluetooth --> CPU heat
Wireless charging --> Heat produced by inefficiencies of wireless charging + heat produced by battery as a result of charging a battery

Seen other people try it in the discussion of the AA page with the same issue. Phone is simply not made to dissipate that much heat. I have to put my note10+ in the cool box (under armrest) of my HS if i want to wired charge it while using AAwireless otherwise it overheats and stops charging.
There are a lot of posts complaining that Android Auto makes phones run very hot compared to just, for example, running Waze on its own.
It's an issue Google will have to address at some point.

Just used the phone for Android Auto by using a cable and not using the aa wireless. No heat issues on a half hour journey. I think it's the wireless charging causing the main issue.

s20 Ultra - it cooks mine too. it gets hot to the point i dont use the pad anymore - the charging speed wasnt worth it - it was too slow so i've gone to a wired connection.

There are a lot of posts complaining that Android Auto makes phones run very hot compared to just, for example, running Waze on its own.
It's an issue Google will have to address at some point.
It makes it hot because it having to do more. Instead of just rendering the map and putting it on a phone screen, it's almost running a virtual machine that its having to encode and compress down a usb 2.0 data line.

iPhones have very efficient silicon with there bionic line of chips, but many androids (especially Samsung's Exynos) use a lot more power to do the same thing. This leads to the issues here. I hate wireless charging because it's an efficiency nightmare, but once again, apple improved on this with magsafe, that helps to make sure the Qi coils are aligned as possible, maximising efficiency when wireless charging.

It's not really something that google can fix, as I said, it's more of a physics issue than a software one. I use my Note10+ with AAwireless OK, definitely gets a bit warm. I can't do that while charging without supplemental cooling however.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom