Corrosion protection

JABO

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
anyone know if MG is galvanised or has any other extra protection? my worry is that a car that's been sitting on a cargoship for 4 weeks or more in salt mist and possibly saltspray must be extra prone to corrode if not protected well from factory. i know in DK all cars is dinitrol treated by the importer, but as this is done after the travel, it might make a potential issue even worse. not that i've seen any horror stories yet, but we all remember the problems Japanese cars had many years ago, but also Korean cars, not so long ago. just hoping that MG is not starting their learning curve from the same start point.

Hi Jabo, if you check out the 7 year warranty, it is the bodywork which is guaranteed, for that amount of time, as other parts are not, so it is for MG to sort out if you have a problem. I said to my dealer, when he sent me a photo of my actual car, as I did a long distance deal, and when I realised the website showed stock photo's, and it was covered in , i said, "Egyptian sand from when the boat was stranded in the Suez Canal", he could not comment, but yours might have been on the same boat, Ha Ha

Hi Jabo, if you check out the 7 year warranty, it is the bodywork which is guaranteed, for that amount of time, as other parts are not, so it is for MG to sort out if you have a problem. I said to my dealer, when he sent me a photo of my actual car, as I did a long distance deal, and when I realised the website showed stock photo's, and it was covered in , i said, "Egyptian sand from when the boat was stranded in the Suez Canal", he could not comment, but yours might have been on the same boat, Ha Ha
i sure hope they've been properly protected then, as 8 weeks or more at sea can do nasty things to the steel :-(

You do realise they aren't shipped on the open deck?

i sure hope they've been properly protected then, as 8 weeks or more at sea can do nasty things to the steel :-(
I've been involved in automotive shipping, the cars are in car carriers on closed decks, just like large floating multi-storey car parks. They sometimes get a little dusty during the journey due to the large bilge blowers maintaining a slight positive pressure in the decks for fire safety. The blowers take clean air from the top of the ship. There is no salty air involved lol!!

The ship interiors look like this:

Cdz11fvUsAA94sT.jpg

Last edited:
Well, i must admit it's not the picture that was in my head 😳 probably overthinking things again 😉 with that in mind i think it's time to order one, and stop worrying 🤗

Lets face it, most cars will have been shipped to Denmark, in some form, Road/Rail/Sea most likely. I'll be honest I can't claim to be an expert, but I can't name many brands that manufacture there, or originate there. Even if they are road\rail hauled to Denmark, they probably spend a month plus in a open outdoor yard somewhere at either end, waiting to be shipped/imported etc.

@ JABO, You thought it was going to be more like this, didn't you? lol! ;)

Actually DFDS do ship cars on weather decks (although, not as rudimentary as in the pic!) But only across the North sea, takes less than a day, but they do often come in filthy with salt spray and chimney soot!

Long sea journeys are always in clean enclosed carriers, so your MG will be safe. How it's treated between unloading at the dock and getting to the dealer.... well thats for another story, and probably best you don't know!

Attachments

• xdcdNVTE-WUJLCX-yHnm1RucQshKzOh-bU3LNhEZq10.jpg
    xdcdNVTE-WUJLCX-yHnm1RucQshKzOh-bU3LNhEZq10.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Well, i must admit it's not the picture that was in my head 😳 probably overthinking things again 😉 with that in mind i think it's time to order one, and stop worrying 🤗
A while back there was report on another thread about MG car shipments to Europe and UK. They appeared to be shipped with due care.

@ JABO, You thought it was going to be more like this, didn't you? lol! ;)

Actually DFDS do ship cars on weather decks (although, not as rudimentary as in the pic!) But only across the North sea, takes less than a day, but they do often come in filthy with salt spray and chimney soot!

Long sea journeys are always in clean enclosed carriers, so your MG will be safe. How it's treated between unloading at the dock and getting to the dealer.... well thats for another story, and probably best you don't know!
Excactly, my dreaded scenario ;-) , but luckily it doesn't seem how it is ;-)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom