Cost for rear sensor replacement?

Rgeneb1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi all. I've been driving a new MG4 since October. Just before christmas I started with an intermittent fault on rear parking sensor. I've contacted my dealer and they want £140 plus vat to assess if its even covered by the warranty. Seems a bit of a con since the sensors on my previous cars have been a relatively cheap fix it would almost make more sense just to go to my local garage and ask them to fix. Also the dealer wont even assess it for six weeks let alone do the work.

Annoyingly I also have a small scratch near the sensor where someone bumped my car when parking. This came after the fault started but I can see them just taking one look, saying not covered thats £170 please.

I was going to leave the scratch but I'm starting to think it might be best just to go down the insurance route and just get them to sort everything. The whole things starting to really stress me out so any thoughts/advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Insurance is unlikely to be the most cost effective solution. Start by getting the price of a replacement sensor as you can probably fit it yourself.

Insurance is unlikely to be the most cost effective solution. Start by getting the price of a replacement sensor as you can probably fit it yourself.
Thanks, any idea where I could find info on doing that myself? I've tried hunting online and cant find anything specific to the MG4 and I know for some cars it requires bumper removal which would be beyond my comfort zone.

I think you're correct about the insurance but the cost for scratch being fixed is £800 - but my bodywork guy says its small, wont rust and isnt affecting anything which is why I thought just live with it. But if I've also got this annoying sensor issue and the garage can say thats not a warranty fault then I thought get it all done as a single job, probably over 1k so insurance might make sense then.

Sorry if these are naive questions.

Last edited:
Thanks, any idea where I could find info on doing that myself? I've tried hunting online and cant find anything specific to the MG4 and I know for some cars it requires bumper removal which would be beyond my comfort zone.

I think you're correct about the insurance but the cost for scratch being fixed is £800 - but my bodywork guy says its small, wont rust and isnt affecting anything which is why I thought just live with it. But if I've also got this annoying sensor issue and the garage can say thats not a warranty fault then I thought get it all done as a single job, probably over 1k so insurance might make sense then.

Sorry if these are naive questions.
I'd go to another dealer. You don't have to use the one you bought it from.
If they are still being awkward ask the dealer for a price for the sensor and for fitting.
Touch up paint is available to camouflage the scratch.

@Rolfe can you move this thread to the MG4 forum?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom