Cost savings between petrol/diesel/electric

sgt4hed

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I thought I would put the following together for people to use to help them to judge what they will save if they make the switch to EV (specifically the ZS EV).

The figures are using data from the RAC's Fuelwatch (Latest petrol and diesel prices | RAC Fuel Prices | RAC Drive), MPG estimates and averages from RAC Foundation (https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs/environment#a31) and electric consumption will be based on 4m/kwh with this taken as a "long term average" not taking into account journey types. I.e. if you do more motorway, then your fuel consumption will be lower, but your batter consumption will be higher and vice versa. I am also basing this on the assumption that nobody is going to be considering to change a supercar (or something fuelled on premium unleaded (99 RON)) with an electric MG

Fuel typeAvg Cost per unitAverage consumptionCost to travel 100 miles
Diesel£ 1.89
56.1​
£ 15.30
Petrol (95)£ 1.83
52.6​
£ 14.84
Electricity£ 0.28
4​
£ 7.09

I thought I would put the following together for people to use to help them to judge what they will save if they make the switch to EV (specifically the ZS EV).

The figures are using data from the RAC's Fuelwatch (Latest petrol and diesel prices | RAC Fuel Prices | RAC Drive), MPG estimates and averages from RAC Foundation (https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs/environment#a31) and electric consumption will be based on 4m/kwh with this taken as a "long term average" not taking into account journey types. I.e. if you do more motorway, then your fuel consumption will be lower, but your batter consumption will be higher and vice versa. I am also basing this on the assumption that nobody is going to be considering to change a supercar (or something fuelled on premium unleaded (99 RON)) with an electric MG

Diesel£ 1.89
56.1​
£ 15.30
Petrol (95)£ 1.83
52.6​
£ 14.84
Electricity£ 0.28
4​
£ 7.09
Good comparison, but you're being far to generous on consumption, realistic ZS EV should be around 3.6, the ICE equivalent, (small SUV) is going to return 45 at best, Diesel & 40 Petrol.

Also, add 7.5p & 5p lines, for fun, for those on Go & legacy Go ;)

Ask and ye shall receive.

Any more updates and I am happy to oblige

Diesel£ 1.888
45​
£ 19.08
Petrol (95)£ 1.832
40​
£ 20.82
Electricity£ 0.283
3.6​
£ 7.09
Octopus Go£ 0.075
3.6​
£ 1.88
Legacy Go£ 0.050
3.6​
£ 1.25

I have a loan i30 while my MG5 is having body work done and I am getting 60mpg, my Octavia diesel gets 55mpg when I drive it or 43mpg when my wife used it locally 🤔

I have a loan i30 while my MG5 is having body work done and I am getting 60mpg, my Octavia diesel gets 55mpg when I drive it or 43mpg when my wife used it locally 🤔
Modern cars are getting so much more fuel efficient. I too have noticed that I get better fuel economy in ICE cars than my wife :)

I envy those that can get cheap electricity prices.

Here in Denmark, the government really wants us to go electric.

My tariff for electricity follows nordpool electricity stock prices..

BUT. While there are talks about lowering the tax on petrol and diesel to make it a bit cheaper to drive your ICE car, there has been no mention of lowering the taxes on electricity.

The other day there were a lot of wind, so the price of electricity was 0.

Well, that is, when the price is 0, i only have to pay taxes and VAT on those taxes.

First there is "transport" (Price i pay the grid to transport) this is £0,021
Then there is electricity tax, which is £0,12
Yeah, and then there is 25% VAT. (Basically a 25% tax, paid on top of these 2 figures)

So "free" electricity cost a minimum of 17p

A lot of the time, it is cheaper for me to just go to a 11Kw destination charger in the city, they have a fixed price of 40p per kilowatt hour, they have some tax deals, that i can not get.

The only reason i charge at home, is i have a solar system, that makes it cheaper to charge at home.

Worst part is, we have to have an election in less than a year, so the people in power will probably not dare to piss off the 97% of car owners that drive an ICE, car, so they will lower the price of petrol and diesel, but not the price of electricity for EV's.

Essentially they are doing the opposite of what should be done, if they want to get people to choose an EV.

Don't forget the disk pads and disks. I had a 320d and a new set would cost about £700 and they would last for 40,000 miles. 700/40,000 x 100 = £1.75 per hundred miles. My MG5 Excite has done 11k miles and there's no sign of wear on them at all!
To keep things simple can we keep this thread purely relating to "fuel" cost savings... there are plenty of other savings that an EV can take advantage of with regards to servicing but that starts to get very complicated.

I envy those that can get cheap electricity prices.

Here in Denmark, the government really wants us to go electric.

My tariff for electricity follows nordpool electricity stock prices..

BUT. While there are talks about lowering the tax on petrol and diesel to make it a bit cheaper to drive your ICE car, there has been no mention of lowering the taxes on electricity.

The other day there were a lot of wind, so the price of electricity was 0.

Well, that is, when the price is 0, i only have to pay taxes and VAT on those taxes.

First there is "transport" (Price i pay the grid to transport) this is £0,021
Then there is electricity tax, which is £0,12
Yeah, and then there is 25% VAT. (Basically a 25% tax, paid on top of these 2 figures)

So "free" electricity cost a minimum of 17p

A lot of the time, it is cheaper for me to just go to a 11Kw destination charger in the city, they have a fixed price of 40p per kilowatt hour, they have some tax deals, that i can not get.

The only reason i charge at home, is i have a solar system, that makes it cheaper to charge at home.

Worst part is, we have to have an election in less than a year, so the people in power will probably not dare to piss off the 97% of car owners that drive an ICE, car, so they will lower the price of petrol and diesel, but not the price of electricity for EV's.

Essentially they are doing the opposite of what should be done, if they want to get people to choose an EV.
Vat on electricity is 5%

Sorry, didn't realise. It was the £ sign that threw me.
Not a big problem, i just did the conversion to make the prices comparable to those mentioned.

In reality, all of this "You must pay these taxes" and then "you need to pay VAT von those taxes as well" is really foolish.

Before someone in Russia decided to go murder their neighbors and take their land, electricity prices were more reasonable here, and the price for a KWh would typically be between 0,17 and 0,29 but now prices are not very often below 0,29 and often a lot higher.

CCS operators usually charge between £0,57 and £0,69 per kilowatt, which makes it TOTALLY uneconomical to drive an EV, compared to a modern petrol or diesel car.

I know that those CCS chargers are FAR from cheap, and they need to recoup their investment, but this has made me only use them when i really have to, and only put on what i need to get home with 15-20% on the battery :)

Diesel£ 1.888
45​
£ 19.08
Petrol (95)£ 1.832
40​
£ 20.82
At Home Charging
Electricity£ 0.283
3.6​
£ 7.87
Octopus Go£ 0.075
3.6​
£ 2.08
Legacy Go£ 0.050
3.6​
£ 1.39
Public Chargers
Instavolt (120kw)£ 0.570
3.6​
£ 15.83
Gridserve (60kw)£ 0.480
3.6​
£ 13.33
Osprey£ 0.490
3.6​
£ 13.61
PodPoint (50kw)£ 0.260
3.6​
£ 7.22

My Go Faster is 8.25p/kw

Shell recharge, Geniepoint and Ionity are 35p/kw on Bonnet without a refill, 30p (£15pm and includes 50kw), 29p (£35pm inc 120kw) and 25p (£50pm Inc 200kw).

I think the simplest way to answer this is does any current EV owner believe that running an ICE would save them money.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom