Couldn’t get in to car this morning

Martinmorv

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I experienced a problem with unlocking my MG4 SR this morning. I pressed the key fob and got a weak noise like the central unlocking was trying to work but couldn’t work properly. None of the doors would open. I tried the button on the door handle and using the keyless unlock on the phone app. All had the same effect. I next tried the manual key but it wouldn’t turn.
After a lot of faff I managed to somehow get the boot to unlock and worked my way forward opening the car doors from the inside. I sat in the drivers seat and the car came to life fine.
The door locking and unlocking motors still sounded weird and weak. I drove to work, got out and all now seems fine. Locking sounds normal.
Does anyone have experience of this? Could I have a 12v battery problem? Could it be the central locking motor? Something else like software?

I experienced a problem with unlocking my MG4 SR this morning. I pressed the key fob and got a weak noise like the central unlocking was trying to work but couldn’t work properly. None of the doors would open. I tried the button on the door handle and using the keyless unlock on the phone app. All had the same effect. I next tried the manual key but it wouldn’t turn.
After a lot of faff I managed to somehow get the boot to unlock and worked my way forward opening the car doors from the inside. I sat in the drivers seat and the car came to life fine.
The door locking and unlocking motors still sounded weird and weak. I drove to work, got out and all now seems fine. Locking sounds normal.
Does anyone have experience of this? Could I have a 12v battery problem? Could it be the central locking motor? Something else like software?
Check the 12v battery terminals are tight (10mm spanner)
What's the app showing for the 12v battery voltage?

Sounds very much like a battery issue. Check the voltage at the battery terminals using a voltmeter.

Sounds very much like a battery issue. Check the voltage at the battery terminals using a voltmeter.
I agree with all the above but I also couldn’t open the door of my 5LR.
As I finished my porridge some twit over the hedge started her lawn mower and since it was a beautiful day all the other mowers stirred and emerged from hibernation. So naturally if you can’t beat them join them. The garden waste bin collection truck is gonna cause loads more potholes than Arch with his damned ev next week 🥰

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back