Criticism of how MG PILOT works

ABDALLA

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Continuation of my series of posts about MG ZS EV Software Bugs and problems
  1. Regarding Auto pilot I think 10 seconds is very short time before alarm starting. then what is the benefits of it !!
  2. Auto pilot after alarm silent (after 15 sec from last steering touch) its simply quit but cruise control still maintain your speed .I think this dangerous . if you quit autopilot on the assumption that driver is not keep attention you should either quit cruise control and Gradually reduce the speed of the car until full stop. I don't know how other cars models acting with this case but this is the logical scenario that I think it should be.
  3. The way that Autopilot align the car on its lane in a Multilane roads is not safe Especially when you pass a truck or big buses, each in its lane You find the car drifting to the side of the truck instead of turning to the other side
  4. Sometimes you lose tracks on curved roads even road lines is very clear.
  5. MG Pilot Do not calculate the difference between lanes on multilane curved roads for example if there is another vehicle in front of you but on another lane and your car is faster ,Your car will slow down assuming that the another car is on the same lane
PS: I made some edits to make post more clear .am not fluent in English so Pardon me for Ununderstood sentences

Last edited:
I think you're confusing Auto pilot with ACC. It's the ACC that slows you down or speeds you up, Auto pilot basically adds steering control.
The name, "Auto pilot" is a bit confusing as it implies the car drives itself, it is a driver aid and unlike the Tesla one, it's not intended to take over, so the only thing that can be "dangerous" is if the driver is not paying attention. ;)

1. regarding Auto pilot I think 10 seconds is very short time before alarm starting. then what is the benefits of it !!​

2. Auto pilot after alarm silent (after 15 sec from last steering touch) its simply quit but cruise control still maintain your speed .I think this dangerous . if you quit autopilot on the assumption that driver is not keep attention you should either quit cruise control and Gradually reduce the speed of the car until full stop. i don't know how other cars models acting with this case but this is the logical scenario that I think it should be.​

3. The way that Autopilot align the car in the lane is not safe Especially when you pass a large transport vehicle, each in its lane You find the car drifting to the side of the truck instead of turning to the other side​

4. Sometimes you lose tracks on curved roads.​

5. Do not calculate the difference between lanes on curved roads for example if there is another vehicle in front of you but on another lane on curved road The car will slow down assuming that the another car is on the same lane​

Hello @ABDALLA

What you described here are not problems. This is how the system is designed to function. It is not the most technologically advanced system out there but from what you described it is doing what it was intended to do.
1. MG Pilot is not an Auto Pilot system in traditional sense. The car does not exercise any autonomy. The driver is supposed to control the car and use the MG Pilot as an aid. So we should not take our hands of the wheel.
2. This sounds bit unnerving as you might end up leaving your lane if car keeps on accelerating, they should probably bring the car to complete halt with hazard lights like others do. I have never tried taking hands off so do not know.
3. I suppose it tries to keep to the centre but fast lorries on adjacent lanes tend to pull lighter vehicles towards them. Some physics principle... Best would be to keep control of car using hands.
4 &5. Do not use MG Pilot on sharp bends on curves. This is clearly written in owners manual. I for one limit usage to, multilane motorways.

I use it everywhere and on the motorway I use an small ankle weight on the the wheel. It means the car will continue to auto drive without input. I always keep my hand touching the wheel, "just in case", but it makes for much more relaxed driving on long motorway drives.
As others have said you have to maintain contact and concentration and use it as an aid only.

Used as intended MG Pilot is a great boon to driver safety and makes longer journies significantly less tiring. If you compare it to the steering corrections and steering input when using just Lankeeping Assist it is a level above in accuracy and smoothness. I have always used Cruise Control on previous cars and the ACC is a real step up in that area too.

I even use MG Pilot in slow-moving traffic and traffic Jams and on country roads as a smoother lane assist significantly reducing the weight of the steering in that situation too.

It is NOT Auto Pilot and is not intended to be used as such. If you don't like it don't use it.

in fairness using the name ‘pilot’ in the description is not ideal and does suggest some autonomy. Tesla autopilot is not that much different from MG pilot, a little more sophisticated but still a long way from perfect - these systems are still a long way from where they need to be, but if used sensibly can be a useful aid.

MG Pilot = Sales Pitch.

It's ACC with Lane Keep Assist.
Lots of cars have ACC and LKA but lane centering is less common.
MG Pilot can also follow the car in front if there are no road markings which is also not that common.

I use it everywhere and on the motorway I use an small ankle weight on the the wheel. It means the car will continue to auto drive without input. I always keep my hand touching the wheel, "just in case", but it makes for much more relaxed driving on long motorway drives.
As others have said you have to maintain contact and concentration and use it as an aid only.
Are you crazy????? You are not only risking your life, but other drivers also. Your insurance will also be invalid - especially as you are declaring on this forum you have done this.

MG Pilot is not suitable for this. I’ve had it veer across lanes as it misinterprets markings on the road; loose lane assist when without alerting.

Warning given for insulting another member
I use it everywhere and on the motorway I use an small ankle weight on the the wheel. It means the car will continue to auto drive without input. I always keep my hand touching the wheel, "just in case", but it makes for much more relaxed driving on long shouldmotorway drives.
As others have said you have to maintain contact be
You are a complete idiot and should be banned from driving before you take the lives of innocent road users.

This is not that uncommon. You used to be able to actually buy a Tesla wheel attachment (made by a third party) to prevent autopilot continually prompting you - it was taken off the market i believe. Youtube used to be full of videos of drivers tricking the system so as not to have to keep touching the wheel. It’s quite a controversial subject obviously.
when I hear about cars veering across lanes I do wonder what the driver was doing to allow that to happen, regardless of if a device was used to stop the’ hold the wheel ‘ prompt.
It can be a pain to be continually prompted to move the wheel a little to show the car you’re still there - personally I tolerate the intervention but others may differ.
The most important factor is that the driver remains alert and in control at all times.
oh - I don’t think Yorkie bars go with coffee - just wrong taste for me 🙃

You are a complete idiot and should be banned from driving before you take the lives of innocent road users.
If you'd bothered to read my post properly you'll see I said I keep my hand on the wheel.
I also said you have to maintain contact and concentration.

1. Regarding Auto pilot I think 10 seconds is very short time before alarm starting. then what is the benefits of it !!
  2. Auto pilot after alarm silent (after 15 sec from last steering touch) its simply quit but cruise control still maintain your speed .I think this dangerous . if you quit autopilot on the assumption that driver is not keep attention you should either quit cruise control and Gradually reduce the speed of the car until full stop. I don't know how other cars models acting with this case but this is the logical scenario that I think it should be.
  3. The way that Autopilot align the car on its lane in a Multilane roads is not safe Especially when you pass a truck or big buses, each in its lane You find the car drifting to the side of the truck instead of turning to the other side
  4. Sometimes you lose tracks on curved roads even road lines is very clear.
  5. MG Pilot Do not calculate the difference between lanes on multilane curved roads for example if there is another vehicle in front of you but on another lane and your car is faster ,Your car will slow down assuming that the another car is on the same lane
PS: I made some edits to make post more clear .am not fluent in English so Pardon me for Ununderstood sentences
The system is not perfect, it does identify vehicles on other lanes and generally will not do anything about them, it is only interested in vehicles in your lane. Having said that a slight bend in the road ahead can confuse the system, cars moving out of your lane ahead into another lane of you can sometimes confuse the system. As to stopping the car because you have not put your hands back on the wheel is a whole different system usually termed emergency assist and is only available on a few vehicles.

I use it everywhere and on the motorway, I use a small ankle weight on the the wheel. It means the car will continue to auto drive without input. I always keep my hand touching the wheel, "just in case", but it makes for much more relaxed driving on long motorway drives.
Don't see why you need to use a weight, and would think it could be perceived as dangerous driving if you had an accident and it was found on your steering wheel by accident investigators, I keep my hand on the wheel in a relaxed position, as a person who has suffered a tyre blowout on a motorway there is no way you would be able to react to that using your scenario and neither could the car, good luck if it happens👍

Don't see why you need to use a weight, and would think it could be perceived as dangerous driving if you had an accident and it was found on your steering wheel by accident investigators, I keep my hand on the wheel in a relaxed position, as a person who has suffered a tyre blowout on a motorway there is no way you would be able to react to that using your scenario and neither could the car, good luck if it happens👍
I think what he's getting at it that the system only thinks you are holding the wheel if you offer some resistance, if you are holding the wheel in a very relaxed manner and letting it do all of the steering movement it doesn't think you are holding the wheel.
I don't use it that much, but I have had it alerting on me when I have been holding the wheel because I've not been giving enough resistance for it to recognise.

Obviously in the event of a bad accident, were the police etc to see an ankle weight on the steering wheel, I think there would be a lot of questions raised!

A couple of days ago on a due carriageway I had the unfortunate pleasure of being near another driver who was going from one side of his lane to the other, drifting over the line, driving at eratic speeds, sometimes right up the back side of other cars. He could've done with a car that could drive itself, it would've been safer than his self driving!

So steering with your knee to keep the ACC happy with your legs crossed, seat fully reclined, and holding a mug of coffee in one hand and a Yorkie bar in the other would be frowned upon?
Arnold Schwarzenegger No Prob GIF
:LOL:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom