Cruise control

That's how it mainly works ... but it also reduces speed when you come to a bend, and it is over-cautious in this respect. (e.g. you're doing 60, come to a gentle bend in the road and as you start to turn the steering wheel the speed reduces so you could be down to 55 by the end of the bend. But the gradient of the bend could easily be taken at 60. I think it's this which most people dislike ... plus the fact the the adaptive bit can be too aggressive then "wooden" - come too close to the car in front and decelerate sharply, then slow to accelerate again).

I haven't had the need to use it yet but assumed that you could set a speed which it would keep until you came up behind someone. That seems reasonable, and that you would need to 'manually overtake (if there is the opportunity). Once there is nobody ahead again don't you just set the cruise speed again?
You can accelerate to overtake, but dont need to reset anything. once past, just take your foot of the accelerator and it will settle back down to selected speed. Same when you go around a corner and it slows, you can just press accelerator until you are comfortable with the speed and take off once around, it will go back to selected speed.

Agreed - and that's what I do too. But it would be nice not to have to do this. :)

Re. overtaking - I use anticipation (like I would with traditional CC) and try to plan my overtakes so that the ACC doesn't need to slow down the car. :)

Agreed - and that's what I do too. But it would be nice not to have to do this. :)

Re. overtaking - I use anticipation (like I would with traditional CC) and try to plan my overtakes so that the ACC doesn't need to slow down the car. :)

That’s the bit that does my head in.
Even on closest settings, my experience is it wants you to pull out far too early to keep the speed up.
It’s not like I go at the back of the vehicle in front like a spitfire attacking a Heinkel for god’s sake…. 😔

Both my BMW i3 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 allow the cruise control to be either adaptive or "regular".

Interesting, especially on the more modern i5.
I wonder if future models will take the option away, time will tell.

So, I think that 50% of you would like the option to have conventional cruise as well as ACC, how does one go about requesting a change to the software, I appreciate that is a long term thing as it does not happen at a push of a button.
You would then satisfy both camps!
There's no clear way to do this.

I would suggest:
  • Petitioning MG UK
  • Request it via your dealer

But to be honest those routes will probably do nothing, more effective would be:
  • Find a celebrity / high profile person and get them on video complaining about it
  • Get to know someone on the inside at Longbridge or China who actually has sway.

hat's how it mainly works ... but it also reduces speed when you come to a bend
Since I generally use cruise control only on dual carriageways and motorways I probably won't notice. I think I would prefer to feel in full control when approaching a bend, particularly if I can't see the road around it.

I'm talking about sweeping bends where you can clearly see for a long way ahead ... just turning the steering wheel more than a few degrees will make ACC back off the accelerator, and the more you turn the more it backs off.

It's not a bad system in principle, just too sensitive to steering changes.

I see. So you believe it's linked to the steering rather than the radar or camera?
Both, depending on circumstances. (i.e. if there's a car in front and you're closing then the radar will slow you down, but equally turning the steering wheel will slow you down once you turn it "enough").

I adjust the speed (up) by manually increasing the accelerator to the desired speed then switching acc off then on again.

I wonder if the system really annoys drivers behind when decelerating and accelerating again to follow the speed of the traffic ahead? (It’s bad enough just feeling the kangarooing of the car when it is doing this)

What annoys me more than anything is to slow you down it applies the actual brakes not regen braking this applies to the MG4 and my MG5 so it is therefor wasting energy and increasing brake wear as well, it’s garbage I have wrote elsewhere on here scrap ACC and all the NCAP rubbish then cut the prices and I will drive the car.

Last week my wife was frightened to death when MG4SE suddenly put the brakes on as hard as an emergency stop as she was going along the road at around 30 miles an hour, for no reason she could see even shook up the passengers in the car who wondered what the hell she was doing.
Les

What annoys me more than anything is to slow you down it applies the actual brakes not regen braking this applies to the MG4 and my MG5 so it is therefor wasting energy and increasing brake wear as well, it’s garbage I have wrote elsewhere on here scrap ACC and all the NCAP rubbish then cut the prices and I will drive the car.
I don't know if it's different on the SE, but my Trophy uses regen to slow under ACC?

Sorry. I meant with regard to sweeping bends.
I don't think the radar is seeing kerbs or anything like that, I think it is steering angle, as I can head towards the kerb and the car doesn't slow until I turn the wheel.

I haven't had the need to use it yet but assumed that you could set a speed which it would keep until you came up behind someone. That seems reasonable, and that you would need to 'manually overtake (if there is the opportunity). Once there is nobody ahead again don't you just set the cruise speed again?
Pretty much this. I use the ACC on some long sections of road locked at 50 to avoid any traffic enforcement complications.

How it seems to work though is if you do speed up as long as you have not turned it off the CC will remain in what you set it so you will slow back down to your original speed.

It doesn’t turn off with a hard foot press. If you indicate when you change lanes the LKA doesn’t moan at you.

I adjust the speed (up) by manually increasing the accelerator to the desired speed then switching acc off then on again.

I wonder if the system really annoys drivers behind when decelerating and accelerating again to follow the speed of the traffic ahead? (It’s bad enough just feeling the kangarooing of the car when it is doing this)
I expect this annoys other drivers a lot. Especially as the brake lights come on automatically when you lift the accelerator pedal. I noticed that myself a few nights ago.

I expect this annoys other drivers a lot. Especially as the brake lights come on automatically when you lift the accelerator pedal. I noticed that myself a few nights ago.

I think there’s a few cars do this. I’ve noticed an increase in brake lights on motorways over the last few years.
It was only after following my wife driving the 4 and seeing the constant flickering of the brake lights that made me think.
Thankfully my new car doesn’t default to the heaviest regen setting like the 4 did and no brake lights coming on when you lift off.

What annoys me more than anything is to slow you down it applies the actual brakes not regen braking this applies to the MG4 and my MG5 so it is therefor wasting energy and increasing brake wear as well,
Les
FWIW I checked this out today (in my SE SR) ... when ACC is engaged and the car slows down, I'm seeing regen percentage on the driver display (up to about 15% I saw today). When the brakes are being applied (automatically by the car - which does sometimes happen) I can actually hear the solenoid activating.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back