DAB antenna placement

BrechMG5LR

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi, just collected my new MG 5 LR today and tried to select the DAB radio but touchscreen wouldn’t toggle to it. Figured probably a software thing and will call the dealer in the morning but, I then noticed what appears to be the antenna about half way up front windscreen on the passenger side. A black box with a thin wire coming out and stuck to the glass. I then thought, check for a manual and in opening the glove box found a pile of cable with DAB written on it and a make USB on the other end. The cable gets jammed by the glove box. Surely they can’t expect me to plug the antenna into a usb each time and the cable has got to be better placed to stop wear from the glove box opening and closing. Any hints before I take it back to the dealer to discuss what needs done?

That sounds like a low quality alternative. Was your car used for something else before your ownership, perhaps by a CB enthusiast or a taxi firm?

Hi, just collected my new MG 5 LR today and tried to select the DAB radio but touchscreen wouldn’t toggle to it. Figured probably a software thing and will call the dealer in the morning but, I then noticed what appears to be the antenna about half way up front windscreen on the passenger side. A black box with a thin wire coming out and stuck to the glass. I then thought, check for a manual and in opening the glove box found a pile of cable with DAB written on it and a make USB on the other end. The cable gets jammed by the glove box. Surely they can’t expect me to plug the antenna into a usb each time and the cable has got to be better placed to stop wear from the glove box opening and closing. Any hints before I take it back to the dealer to discuss what needs done?
That's something they use in the showrooms. When I was looking at the mg5 in the showroom there was a box like that on the windscreen - the saleman had to press a button on there before I could use the start button to swtich on or switch off the car, so something like an immobiliser.

I’m pretty certain it’s the antenna. Just poorly installed with poor placement and cable run. Looks like the image attached (from Google)

Attachments

• 81503F8A-3DD2-446F-8BA6-066E3CD35800.jpeg
    81503F8A-3DD2-446F-8BA6-066E3CD35800.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 233
Well I'd be surprised, I didn't imagine the dealers needed to do anything like that - surely the radio etc comes fully factory fitted.

That rather sounds like you have been supplied with a DAB dongle. Possibly as MG have been unable to fit the required DAB chipset to the radio module. I did read some time back that there is a major shortage of DAB chip sets contributing to the current shipping delays. I don't know if that is true but If so I guess we will find out soon as more people collect their new MG 5s
You indeed need to see what the dealer/MG has to say, as that would be a temporary fix at best!
As a quick test if the DAB does not work without it and works when its plugged in to the USB port that would prove it.

That rather sounds like you have been supplied with a DAB dongle. Possibly as MG have been unable to fit the required DAB chipset to the radio module. I did read some time back that there is a major shortage of DAB chip sets contributing to the current shipping delays. I don't know if that is true but If so I guess we will find out soon as more people collect their new MG 5s
You indeed need to see what the dealer/MG has to say, as that would be a temporary fix at best!
As a quick test if the DAB does not work without it and works when its plugged in to the USB port that would prove it.
It def looks like a temp fix. Not really the best. Heading to the dealer next week and will get to the bottom of it.

Otherwise, car is great!

It looks exactly like the DAB antenna I have in my Transit van for the Pioneer aftermarket head unit. So for whatever reason it's not using the dummy heater wire in the rear screen.

Definitely needs taking up with the dealer.

It def looks like a temp fix. Not really the best. Heading to the dealer next week and will get to the bottom of it.

Otherwise, car is great!
Yes had ours for six months now, not a perfect car by a long way but still enjoy driving it ...that's when my wife isn't off and about in it!

They havnt got the chips , I picked my hs up in August and still waiting for it to be recalled to have one fitted hence not using DAB because I don't want the ugly wire hanging out of the glovebox !

They havnt got the chips , I picked my hs up in August and still waiting for it to be recalled to have one fitted hence not using DAB because I don't want the ugly wire hanging out of the glovebox !
Got the same with mine picked up end of last month ,
At least they tried to do some thing unlike the poor Audi drivers with no working USB sockets or the BMW drivers with only 1 key

Got the same with mine picked up end of last month ,
At least they tried to do some thing unlike the poor Audi drivers with no working USB sockets or the BMW drivers with only 1 key
6 company cars delivered to us last week, all had the DAB dongle. MG forgot to tell anyone so a couple of affronted people came in the next day complaining the DAB wasn't working. Also no floor mats. Not sure how many chips are needed in those!

6 company cars delivered to us last week, all had the DAB dongle. MG forgot to tell anyone so a couple of affronted people came in the next day complaining the DAB wasn't working. Also no floor mats. Not sure how many chips are needed in those!
My sales man told me straight away about the aerial

After plugging in the temporary USB fix for the DAB dongle, I’m still unable to select the DAB stations from the screen. Is there a reset that needs doing as this is probably the first time it’s been plugged in?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom