DAB RADIO

I was at my dealership for several hours today to have the fix done on my MG5 (unsuccessfully - they have had to create a technical case with MG), so to kill time I had a wander round the site and spotted 5 HS models with a window sticker aerial denoting it had the bodge. The ages were mainly 22 and 72 plate, plus one on a 23 and another on a private plate

3 of those were for sale, but did not have the USB lead connected to the port (a cynic might say deliberately as anyone viewing might ask why an unsightly lead was protruding from the glovebox..)

The other 2 were in the customer parking area.

If the dealers are still selling them with the bodge rather than fixing before sale, it shows that MG are really not taking the matter seriously.

As an aside, the aerial lead on mine was not even connected to the tailgate antenna and the technician said it had been 'taped up good and proper and tucked away'. There is no way MG would do that if a proper fix was ever planned

Shocking from MG it's such a pity as the rest of the car is really good, I just use Android Auto now and have dispensed with the quite frankly abomination of an infotainment unit. If nothing else they should be held up for trade description as there is certainly no entertainment in my head unit just frustration and anger. The dealer just doesn't bother responding now, it will certainly be my last MG.

Shocking from MG it's such a pity as the rest of the car is really good, I just use Android Auto now and have dispensed with the quite frankly abomination of an infotainment unit. If nothing else they should be held up for trade description as there is certainly no entertainment in my head unit just frustration and anger. The dealer just doesn't bother responding now, it will certainly be my last MG.
I had been using an android ai box and DABz to have a better DAB radio experience compared to the bodge. Would still need that for better navigation options and playback of mp3s but for resale when the time comes it needed the permanent fix

Like you say, the car itself is really good but not sure MG has earned any brand loyalty from me. The dealership on the other hand has been really good

My MG HS PHEV had its first service last week. The DAB fix was done as part of this. Can someone explain how to use the radio now? I cannot make sense of the symbols displayed. Should an instruction book have been supplied?

The HS is a different fix to the MG5 as MG supply a full kit rather than the various trial and error attempts with the 5 (mine is going to the dealer tomorrow for the third attempt).

Given my experience that I have had to reject twice with the DAB still not working and knowing that the manufacturer never had a plan, it's possible your radio might not actually be fixed. Are any symbols greyed out? Do you have a photo?

In theory, the audio user manual that came with the car should have the correct instructions for an original spec nav/entertainment system.

The HS is a different fix to the MG5 as MG supply a full kit rather than the various trial and error attempts with the 5 (mine is going to the dealer tomorrow for the third attempt).

Given my experience that I have had to reject twice with the DAB still not working and knowing that the manufacturer never had a plan, it's possible your radio might not actually be fixed. Are any symbols greyed out? Do you have a photo?

In theory, the audio user manual that came with the car should have the correct instructions for an original spec nav/entertainment system.
Thanks for your advice. The fix seems to have been neatly done with the windscreen widget and cable in the glovebox removed. My internet ability does not run to uploading photos but I've found the manual that came with the car which describes the entertainment system.. I hope I can understand it!

The user manual refers to the what should be infotainment system. This is an off the shelf fix that is different to the manual. In short, you will have DAB, but no pre sets, and sometimes the statins are not what is displayed. MG have sold us short on providing a professional solution to the original problem

Hi all. I've ordered a 23 plate HS, but not taken delivery yet.

Would really appreciate if someone can post photos of the windscreen wires, trailing leads etc. so I can know what to look out for.

Hi all. I've ordered a 23 plate HS, but not taken delivery yet.

Would really appreciate if someone can post photos of the windscreen wires, trailing leads etc. so I can know what to look out for.
If it has the bodge, there will be an aerial stuck to the passenger side windscreen and a USB lead plugged in to the port that is not used for carplay/android auto. There will also be a dongle that the aerial and usb are connected to in the glovebox - it may be stuck on the side with something like velcro or those 3m picture hanging pads

Hope that helps

Attachments

• aerial-08.jpeg
    aerial-08.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 21
If it has the bodge, there will be an aerial stuck to the passenger side windscreen and a USB lead plugged in to the port that is not used for carplay/android auto. There will also be a dongle that the aerial and usb are connected to in the glovebox - it may be stuck on the side with something like velcro or those 3m picture hanging pads

Hope that helps
Thank you both

Does anyone know if FM/AM radio (not DAB) work normally on the pre-facelift HS?
The AM and FM works as a very basic radio. It is missing RDs, TA, TP and PTY functions.
It also has no AF function.
The best way to use the unit is to stream from a smartphone through CarPlay or android which works really well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again. Was looking at a 22 plate (2022) and it had 2 usb ports. The dealer said it was one of the last runs with a full radio. Does anyone know if 22 plate or earlier have the full functionality (presets, TA etc).?

Thanks in advance.

Hi again. Was looking at a 22 plate (2022) and it had 2 usb ports. The dealer said it was one of the last runs with a full radio. Does anyone know if 22 plate or earlier have the full functionality (presets, TA etc).?

Thanks in advance.
If it has presets and ta then it will show on the screen when you test drive. The giveaway for the bodge is the stick on windscreen aerial

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom