Dangerous Auto Driving

Turn lane keep assist off
Horribly bad at keeping you in the lane.
Also switch to TJA rather than ACC
That does a decent job of driving you within the white lines instead.
The car will pretty much gently adjust and keep you in the middle of the lane

Has an alert that if it thinks youre not holding onto the steering wheel it will tell you.
Holding the wheel gently and a tiny movement every 20 seconds from you will keep the alert off and the car will drive itself in the lane no problem
Why the hell they called it traffic jam assist though I'll never know
Excellent post, I encountered the Lane keep Assist during my test drive, it was much more aggressive than the ID.3 we have and took me by surprise just how sudden and wrenching it was. I turned it off when we parked to swap drivers.
I asked the sales guy if it could be permanently turned off, as when we got back to the dealership, we locked and unlocked the car and it actually reset and turned back on.

Perhaps an OBD configurable option to force the car to remember to keep it off?

Excellent post, I encountered the Lane keep Assist during my test drive, it was much more aggressive than the ID.3 we have and took me by surprise just how sudden and wrenching it was. I turned it off when we parked to swap drivers.
I asked the sales guy if it could be permanently turned off, as when we got back to the dealership, we locked and unlocked the car and it actually reset and turned back on.

Perhaps an OBD configurable option to force the car to remember to keep it off?
It's weird how some cars are different
Mine is off and stays off

LKA on my non-MG4 courtesy vehicle works beautifully (MG ZS EV Trophy) - I am puzzled why the version implemented on the MG4 is so different; crude and potentially dangerous?

I mostly drive A and B roads (one lane each way with a centre dividing line) and found LKA unnerving to use on the MG4. It tends to "stick" the steering if you drift towards the centre line, or pull too far towards the oncoming lane if too near the kerb/verge.

The system feels like an early prototype or proof-of-concept on the MG4, certainly not production ready or in any way refined. Genuinely dangerous if the driver sharply over-steers where wrestling back control in a panic.

Compare that to two hours driving same roads in the courtesy MG ZS EV with LKA enabled - a wholly different experience, it gently nudges or steers as needed, alerts as necessary, and doesn't 'stick' the steering wheel. Far more refined, mature, and importantly - safe.
(also tried LKA in a Kia Sportage today, much the same as the MG ZS EV).

* Do you think I have a faulty system? I feel LKA on my MG4 isn't fit for purpose (in an otherwise great car)

* Do you think the crude and over-aggressive response on the MG4 be resolved by software updates, or is the system "black box" and fixed?

(I did experiment with the MG4's Traffic-Jam Assist on quiet roads, and agree it did introduce the steering assistance you expect from LKA, but it's not a suitable substitute)

LKA on my non-MG4 courtesy vehicle works beautifully (MG ZS EV Trophy) - I am puzzled why the version implemented on the MG4 is so different; crude and potentially dangerous?

I mostly drive A and B roads (one lane each way with a centre dividing line) and found LKA unnerving to use on the MG4. It tends to "stick" the steering if you drift towards the centre line, or pull too far towards the oncoming lane if too near the kerb/verge.

The system feels like an early prototype or proof-of-concept on the MG4, certainly not production ready or in any way refined. Genuinely dangerous if the driver sharply over-steers where wrestling back control in a panic.

Compare that to two hours driving same roads in the courtesy MG ZS EV with LKA enabled - a wholly different experience, it gently nudges or steers as needed, alerts as necessary, and doesn't 'stick' the steering wheel. Far more refined, mature, and importantly - safe.
(also tried LKA in a Kia Sportage today, much the same as the MG ZS EV).

* Do you think I have a faulty system? I feel LKA on my MG4 isn't fit for purpose (in an otherwise great car)

* Do you think the crude and over-aggressive response on the MG4 be resolved by software updates, or is the system "black box" and fixed?

(I did experiment with the MG4's Traffic-Jam Assist on quiet roads, and agree it did introduce the steering assistance you expect from LKA, but it's not a suitable substitute)
I don’t know but I expect it is a completely different system which may be why it is a step backwards. They could improve it with updates but not clear if they will or not.

I don’t know but I expect it is a completely different system which may be why it is a step backwards. They could improve it with updates but not clear if they will or not.
Yes I too think it's completely different (read: cheaper).
Putting a new, awful system in place - when you have a proven exiting one seems barmy to save a few £'s

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back