Dangerous unexpected braking!!

richiespark

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have had my ZS EV since April. I have had a few occasions when the brakes would come on momentarily at low speed. Today however, I was traveling at 40 mph when the brakes came on unexpectedly causing great alarm to me and the car behind! I had noticed that the information center (the little square screen between the speedometer and the power meter) would not toggle fully moments before. I have also noticed that sometimes the ACC won't engage. I have booked the car into the dealership for investigation. I wonder has this problem been experienced by anyone else? it is of course potentially very dangerous.

Richiespark

No phantom braking on my ZS but the Tesla was known for it and very scary! Now updated software and it’s much better. How is your sensitivity set on your ZS?

Hello

I have had my ZS EV since April. I have had a few occasions when the brakes would come on momentarily at low speed. Today however, I was traveling at 40 mph when the brakes came on unexpectedly causing great alarm to me and the car behind! I had noticed that the information center (the little square screen between the speedometer and the power meter) would not toggle fully moments before. I have also noticed that sometimes the ACC won't engage. I have booked the car into the dealership for investigation. I wonder has this problem been experienced by anyone else? it is of course potentially very dangerous.

Richiespark
My ZS did an emergency stop this week. The car not me.
Travelling along road at approximately 20mph when a van approaching a give way from my left. The driver left it to the last minute before braking and although he managed to stop before the junction my camera must have picked it up and decided a full emergency stop was required.
Thankfully no one behind me so no real harm but I have now switched off the emergency braking system as per instructions (page 231 onwards) of the manual.

My ZS EV sometimes sees things that I don't. Usually on corners, and perhaps a car parked on the corner. But maybe we should not be using the CC etc on minor roads...

On proper fast roads, never a problem (so far)..:)

I had an issue about a year ago when a van turned right in front of me on a slow left hand bend. He was indicating so I was expecting him to turn right but he was a bit slow to turn. Suddenly the ZS jammed on all the brakes because the radar obviously picked up the side of the van with no forward movement. However the brakes came off as soon as the van was out the way and there was no damage done but a bit scary for me as its totally unexpected. I just think its a price you have to pay if you want automatic collision avoidance because it will make the odd mistake.

My ZS EV sometimes sees things that I don't. Usually on corners, and perhaps a car parked on the corner. But maybe we should not be using the CC etc on minor roads...

Thank you for your response. Neither the adaptive cruise control or MG pilot were engaged at the time of the incident. It's a bit scary!

Most insurers will rate cars based on if they have AEB these days.

I had an issue about a year ago when a van turned right in front of me on a slow left hand bend. He was indicating so I was expecting him to turn right but he was a bit slow to turn. Suddenly the ZS jammed on all the brakes because the radar obviously picked up the side of the van with no forward movement. However the brakes came off as soon as the van was out the way and there was no damage done but a bit scary for me as its totally unexpected. I just think its a price you have to pay if you want automatic collision avoidance because it will make the odd mistake.
This is when mine gets upset and starts beeping like mad or even applying the brakes. Left turning vehicles in front that turn slowly, not actually a problem in the real world but the car being a little nervous, a bit like her sat next to me :D.
I have the sensitivity set to medium, I might try it on low.

Something I learned fairly quickly with the ZS, is if it's over reacting you just need to leave more distance to the car or hazard in front and approach potential hazards slower.
My Prius was the same but not quite as keen as the ZS.
I don't know if the MG has any sort of learning algorithm that gets used to your driving style or I'm just getting more familiar with it, but after just over a year of driving it, it doesn't seem as keen as it was at first.

Good point Kithmo, it hasn't happened to me again either. On the other hand, I am a bit more wary now....

Mine does this too in similar situations. Now when approaching this kind of situation I usually keep my foot over the throttle ready to overrule the ACC.
I've had 7 new cars with AEB and it's just something you get used to. My Suzuki Swift used to slam the anchors on when approaching a small roundabout with metal signs, it also used to activate when weaving between parked cars in my street.
Very rarely have I ever had a system slam the anchors on for no physical apparent reason "ghost braking"

How are you all setting the sensitivity? Any settings I set in the car menu revert as soon as the car is turned off. Each time I come back I have to turn the Emergency Brake Sensitivity back to low otherwise it brakes heavily at any car turning left and seems to be getting worse and more sensitive all the time.

I have also noticed it is getting worse at holding a lane over time to the point it will cross the line and complain but not correct it. If I correct it's direction it tends to hold the lane for a little while then goes back to just straying into other lanes even though the indicator blue lines show it knows where the lane is.

Anyone else getting this?

Last edited:
How are you all setting the sensitivity? Any settings I set in the car menu revert as soon as the car is turned off. Each time I come back I have to turn the Emergency Brake Sensitivity back to low otherwise it brakes heavily at any car turning left and seems to be getting worse and more sensitive all the time.

I have also noticed it is getting worse at holding a lane over time to the point it will cross the line and complain but not correct it. If I correct it's direction it tends to hold the lane for a little while then goes back to just straying into other lanes even though the indicator blue lines show it knows where the lane is.

Anyone else getting this?
Does the front camera need a clean, it uses that for keeping an eye on the lane?

I keep my sensitivity to normal and try, not always successfully, to avoid getting close to cars turning left in front of me.

I have not changed any parameter settings, but I think they are about right for normal use. There are a few local roads that seem to confuse the system by seeing parked cars or whatever, but I just learn to keep the car slightly more to the right to minimise any issues. On balance, I find the system works pretty well.

AEB system warns occasionally when joining a round about from a bend. It sees the vehicle waiting in adjacent lane at the end of bend and calculates it to be in same lane. Probably confused by the fading lane markings, it warns me with beep and message in instrument cluster. As I start to slow down it probably never gets to the point where emergency brakes need to be applied.

Sensitivity: Normal
Driving style: sedate

No phantom braking on my ZS but the Tesla was known for it and very scary! Now updated software and it’s much better. How is your sensitivity set on your ZS?
Our 4 week old MG Hs Exclusive did it to me last night stopped with a bang at 40mph. I now have whiplash and car recovered MG won’t provide a replacement car. Absolutely shocking service

The trouble is that it is very hard to prove that it actually happened and the dealers may not find any faults. I hope that you get it sorted out.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom