Dash cam - never had one, don't know where to start!

NewtoEV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm sorry for another dash cam thread but from 'searching' the forums I can't find info that covers me.
I've never had a dash cam (because every car I've ever had prior to my MG4 was very old and worth about £100!).
If I want one that just plugs in and I can remove when not in use (or to simply use for longer journeys etc.) where do I begin to find the right thing?
Many thanks for any info that'll point me in the right direction!

I have had one but wanted one. A Garmin 57 arrived on Father’s Day. The camera is very small and discreet. Works really well and I have mine just plugged into the 12v plug feeding the cable up through the cable channel and just tucking it behind the infotainment system. I wanted it hardwired but this is actually super easy and non intrusive.

The camera comes in when car is in ready mode and holds enough charge when off for parking guard to work. Also has voice control.

They do a mini camera you can add on for rear at a later date if you need to.

There are cheaper ones out there but this one had good reviews and I really like it.

Have a look at Nextbase dash cams as most of theirs have magnetic mounts so they can be hard-wired into the car and easily removed just leaving the mount attached to the windscreen.
Good point. I should add the Garmins also have magnetic mounts if that’s useful.

Thanks for the info, guys!
The Garmin 57 looks like it ticks the boxes I want (decent resolution, easy to plug in and remove etc.)
I’ve looked at Nextbase and Thinkware models as well today. Going to compare before I make a final decision.

What’s your ideal position for placement of a dash cam in the MG4? I assume at the top of the windscreen is best? Are there any locations that would hinder any operations or sensors?

Last edited:
If you want something cheap that gives you front and rear cameras and good quality footage from the supplied SD card replay on a laptop you could consider the Orskey S900. I paid £44 from Amazon for mine and found it very easy to install in about 20 mins. It plugs into the 12V socket and I simply pushed the wires behind window and door seals so they are visible in a couple of places but don’t bother me. I have used it regularly for about 3 months and found it very reliable.

Attachments

• PXL_20230608_100914335.jpg
    PXL_20230608_100914335.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 201
  • PXL_20230608_101154392.jpg
    PXL_20230608_101154392.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 169
Thanks for the info, guys!
The Garmin 57 looks like it ticks the boxes I want (decent resolution, easy to plug in and remove etc.)
I’ve looked at Nextbase and Thinkware models as well today. Going to compare before I make a final decision.

What’s your ideal position for placement of a dash cam in the MG4? I assume at the top of the windscreen is best? Are there any locations that would hinder any operations or sensors?
Mine is at the top middle of the windscreen. Best view of road ahead and not in the way.

IMG_3078.jpeg

Last edited:

Top middle is good, do make sure that you mount it in an area that is cleaned by the windscreen wipers otherwise no useful footage for you on a rainy day

If you want something cheap that gives you front and rear cameras and good quality footage from the supplied SD card replay on a laptop you could consider the Orskey S900. I paid £44 from Amazon for mine and found it very easy to install in about 20 mins. It plugs into the 12V socket and I simply pushed the wires behind window and door seals so they are visible in a couple of places but don’t bother me. I have used it regularly for about 3 months and found it very reliable.
I've taken a punt on this one as I got for under £32 at amazon (they had some lightening deal plus another 10% off - after that ended there's currently 25% off which makes it still a bargain £35 approx).
(if it turns out to be rubbish, I won't feel too awful about wasting money! The included rear cam and larger memory card swung it!)

Anyhoo, thanks, Wudus.
Where did you feed the rear camera cable? Is it easy/intuitive to get the cable behind things? (I really am the most basic bitch when it comes to all this stuff!)

Last edited:
You got a bargain. I think it is great value because it has worked well for me and the recorded video is HD quality when replayed on a decent screen. I just pushed the wires behind the rubber seals around the windscreen and doors. The 12V supply wire I pushed behind the glove compartment under the carpet. These photos show where the wires are visible:

Attachments

• PXL_20230608_100920235.jpg
    PXL_20230608_100920235.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 157
  • PXL_20230608_100938270.jpg
    PXL_20230608_100938270.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20230608_101013488.jpg
    PXL_20230608_101013488.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 162
You got a bargain. I think it is great value because it has worked well for me and the recorded video is HD quality when replayed on a decent screen. I just pushed the wires behind the rubber seals around the windscreen and doors. The 12V supply wire I pushed behind the glove compartment under the carpet. These photos show where the wires are visible:
Thanks for those pics, that's helpful.
I kind-of installed the front cam tonight, it's a right ball ache trying to get the best position!
When I tucked the cable in around and under the glovebox my fingers got some kind of clear oil / fluid on them out of seemingly nowhere? Is this something to panic about?
I really am rubbish at this car stuff!
So, I tucked the front cam lead around and then the top fell out from around the window! That's quite enough for one day methinks!

DIY isn’t for everyone but it does get easier with experience – we all learn from our mistakes. You will find the weight of the wire will pull it down if it is left hanging. You need to support it until you have got a good length pushed in. When it is all in place you’ll find it stays there.

The sucker on the camera works really well if you clean the glass first.

Maybe the oil is a bit of excess from the glove compartment hinges?

By the way when you get to it you’ll see the rear camera has a bracket that looks like it should be screwed in. I just pushed it into a gap at the top of the rear window with a bit of packing to hold it secure. I used a bit of plastic wrapped in duct tape but you could probably use a folded bit of cardboard.

By the way when you get to it you’ll see the rear camera has a bracket that looks like it should be screwed in. I just pushed it into a gap at the top of the rear window with a bit of packing to hold it secure. I used a bit of plastic wrapped in duct tape but you could probably use a folded bit of cardboard.
The rear camera bracket sits at an odd angle, right? There's no need to bend it to 90 degrees or anything?

You drive with a wire dangling down in front of the windscreen?

Finally finished fitting my camera. I'm pretty pleased with how neat it is and I managed to get the wires mostly hidden . I ended up using a small pad at the back and keeping it in place with Gorilla tape without actually sticking anything to the window or the rear-heating window bars.

Still not sure if I should've bent the little metal plate the camera is attached to to 90 degrees? It sits at about 45 degrees (which you can kind of see if you zoom in). It's a very solid bit of metal so not easy to just bend. The camera image from where it is placed is ideal so I guess the angle of the plate is deliberate? It just can't be flush on the inside so I don't know how you would go about screwing it in (not that you can). Are these rear cameras meant to be attached outside as the instructions mentioned the "preferred" place being near the "license plate"? The "alternative" placement option is inside as both Wudus and I have done.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 98
Finally finished fitting my camera. I'm pretty pleased with how neat it is and I managed to get the wires mostly hidden . I ended up using a small pad at the back and keeping it in place with Gorilla tape without actually sticking anything to the window or the rear-heating window bars.

Still not sure if I should've bent the little metal plate the camera is attached to to 90 degrees? It sits at about 45 degrees (which you can kind of see if you zoom in). It's a very solid bit of metal so not easy to just bend. The camera image from where it is placed is ideal so I guess the angle of the plate is deliberate? It just can't be flush on the inside so I don't know how you would go about screwing it in (not that you can). Are these rear cameras meant to be attached outside as the instructions mentioned the "preferred" place being near the "license plate"? The "alternative" placement option is inside as both Wudus and I have done.
The front door seals are super easy to remove and replace, they just pull off and push back on. That would help you get it even neater round the A pillar area. If you pull the door seal away you’ll see what I mean.

Bought a NextBase dashcam years ago, for our North Coast 500 trip, because my wife thought it would be fun to have a time-lapse of the whole journey. We do have that time-lapse, but it's not great because for a lot of the journey I hadn't realised you could turn the polarised lens to eliminate the reflection of the dash.

Anyway, 40 minutes into our journey - driving from Warwickshire to Gretna - a lorry ran into our side on a roundabout joining the M6 near Birmingham. Dashcam footage proved it wasn't our fault, and for that reason I remain a big fan of dashcams. It's proved we weren't at fault in another insurance incident since.

Still have that 6-year-old dashcam, fitting is no different on an EV from ICE. Mount high on the windscreen with the sucker mount - or use glue if you really want to. Wire tucks between the windscreen and its frame. You'll find there's room to push it in, and once you have some length in, it'll stay put. Keep pushing it in until you get to the bottom left corner of the windscreen.

I didn't dare try to pry anything open, so on the MG4 the wire is exposed for the short length over the top of the dash shelf, then it goes between the glove compartment and the door. If it's long enough, go under the seat and use the passenger USB socket. Otherwise under a mat in the passenger footwell, to the 12v socket under the centre console.

That's a naive way of doing it, but it's been good enough for us for over 5 years in various cars.

With the suction mount, occasionally in hot weather, it falls off while parked. Easy enough to put back.

I’ve finally taken the plunge and ordered one in preparation for the new arrival.
I went for a VIOFO A129 Plus Duo.
Reduced a little on Amazon at the moment. I think I’ll brave it and try fitting myself when the time comes as there have been some helpful posts which inspire a little confidence 🤓

Edit: I upsold myself during the afternoon to the A139 pro as it’s got the latest version of the Sony sensors so it has better low light performance. Buy once cry once 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel