• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Dashboard faults

EV car ICE bike

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Has anyone else had these faults come up? Its happened on our 3mnth old LR a few times intermittently now and today has become permanent along with the touchscreen display now permanently off!
Booking in to our dealer but shouldn't really be happening on a brand new car that we only received this year.

Attachments

• 20220413_105352.jpg
    20220413_105352.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 20220413_105524.jpg
    20220413_105524.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 20220413_105529.jpg
    20220413_105529.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 20220413_105534.jpg
    20220413_105534.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20220413_105540.jpg
    20220413_105540.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 20220413_105545.jpg
    20220413_105545.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 20220413_105549.jpg
    20220413_105549.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 222
Do the 12v battery disconnect 'trick', that should hopefully reset the errors.

Also make sure you take your time when starting the car. Wait until it is ready before selecting gears etc. don't rush things, it's a computer and can get confused.

I did exactly that, got in the car pushed start and immediately turned heated seats on before car was ready. So no display at all on info system. Once I had driven a couple of miles all was fine. It was a case of computer says NO.

Did you have it diagnosed first time around?
No, it only lasted for one journey then upon restarting the next daily it was gone.
Booked into garage for this wknd and getting a MG3 courtesy car- that will be 'fun' going back to ICE!

I did exactly that, got in the car pushed start and immediately turned heated seats on before car was ready. So no display at all on info system. Once I had driven a couple of miles all was fine. It was a case of computer says NO.
Showing the car a charger also (for me) cleared the never ending list of fails (granny charger was enough) - after pulling the 12v battery for 10 mins.

Also make sure you take your time when starting the car. Wait until it is ready before selecting gears etc. don't rush things, it's a computer and can get confused.
Hi Gomev.... I'm so glad you said that bit about taking time when 'starting' the car because each time I have seen the issue with the radio, and last week with all the errors, much like the ones above, I have jumped in, pressed the 'On' button and put it in to gear very quickly so it does seem like it may be a case of 'computer says no!' Of course shouldn't happen but perhaps it just does!... I'll test it at some point.

Just remember though if it does turn out that doing that can causes the problem... don't use the car as a getaway vehicle or if you do have your driver sat with it in 'Ready' LOL!!!

We did this to help the radio to initialise ( it didn’t work!) and then got a barrage of error messages which wouldn’t go away with car turned on on the driveway. OH drove it to the MG dealer and the short drive there managed to reset everything to ready. Still need to get the radio issue sorted tho, as only had car for 2 weeks so far.

We did this to help the radio to initialise ( it didn’t work!) and then got a barrage of error messages which wouldn’t go away with car turned on on the driveway. OH drove it to the MG dealer and the short drive there managed to reset everything to ready. Still need to get the radio issue sorted tho, as only had car for 2 weeks so far.
The radio module on MG5's seems to be quite flaky, mine died after 2 weeks and it's been in twice now, 1st replacement was DOA and hoping to get radio working again after 2nd module arrives.
"Radio Initialising" means it's fried and needs dealer replacement.

I jumped into my works MG5 after leaving on charge for the weekend as it was down to 10% battery.

Pressed the keyfob...completely dead, wouldn't even unlock the doors! The 12 v battery had depleted to 3v!

The AA came out and jumped it, it was fine from then and would start, but all those warning lights by the OP came on and wouldn't clear until I drove it up the road a bit, then they cleared.

Not sure why the 12v depleted over the weekend. Almost as if I left the ign on, but I wouldn't have been able to do that and lock the car and start the charging, which I did as the car was up to 100% drive battery level!

Has anyone else had these faults come up? Its happened on our 3mnth old LR a few times intermittently now and today has become permanent along with the touchscreen display now permanently off!
Booking in to our dealer but shouldn't really be happening on a brand new car that we only received this year.
I'm finally able to give an update on this issue. It has been fixed by local MG dealer where we bought the car. Didn't get any paperwork on it so we emailed the dealer a day later and they said it was the FICM unit that was replaced.
Here's their email response:-

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-155841_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-155841_Outlook.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 177
No errors listed yet but had the black screen on the infotainment screen over the weekend. On the way to the shops tried turn off and back on did not help, after being off for twenty minutes at the shops restarted the car everything works fine now so hoping just a glitch.

I jumped into my works MG5 after leaving on charge for the weekend as it was down to 10% battery.

Pressed the keyfob...completely dead, wouldn't even unlock the doors! The 12 v battery had depleted to 3v!

The AA came out and jumped it, it was fine from then and would start, but all those warning lights by the OP came on and wouldn't clear until I drove it up the road a bit, then they cleared.

Not sure why the 12v depleted over the weekend. Almost as if I left the ign on, but I wouldn't have been able to do that and lock the car and start the charging, which I did as the car was up to 100% drive battery level!
I have experienced this scenario on our Nissan Leaf numerous times over the years whilst leaving it plugged in for extended periods on our 7kw wallbox (ohme smart charger). Using a 12v battery monitor (via bluetooth and its app), I found the logs showed that once the car reached 100% or once it had reached its set target (set on the Ohme), the 12v battery started to slowly deplete more than normal. Whereas during the charging phase, there where times the 12v was being charged up at 14v. I have avoided the Leaf or our MG5 LR being left unnecessarily connected to our wallbox for extended periods of times (beyond just over night) and no issues thereafter. I plan to buy a stronger 12v battery for our MG5 for some extra peace of mind 😊

Or this

I have experienced this scenario on our Nissan Leaf numerous times over the years whilst leaving it plugged in for extended periods on our 7kw wallbox (ohme smart charger). Using a 12v battery monitor (via bluetooth and its app), I found the logs showed that once the car reached 100% or once it had reached its set target (set on the Ohme), the 12v battery started to slowly deplete more than normal. Whereas during the charging phase, there where times the 12v was being charged up at 14v. I have avoided the Leaf or our MG5 LR being left unnecessarily connected to our wallbox for extended periods of times (beyond just over night) and no issues thereafter. I plan to buy a stronger 12v battery for our MG5 for some extra peace of mind 😊

Or this

Thanks for the info and the links. Your issue sounds interesting as to what happened to mine.
Cheers.

I have experienced this scenario on our Nissan Leaf numerous times over the years whilst leaving it plugged in for extended periods on our 7kw wallbox (ohme smart charger).
Out of interest what age of LEAF? I've heard of this on early models but not experienced it on either a '15 or '16 both of which defend the 12v by topping it up from the HV battery DC-DC converter on a daily basis even if left plugged in.
I'd be disappointed if the MG isn't doing likewise.

Out of interest what age of LEAF? I've heard of this on early models but not experienced it on either a '15 or '16 both of which defend the 12v by topping it up from the HV battery DC-DC converter on a daily basis even if left plugged in.
I'd be disappointed if the MG isn't doing likewise.
It's the 24kwh Leaf (2014 Tekna). It does top up its 12v from the HV battery but not in that one scenario where it's left connected to the charger and not charging (having reached its target percentage or fully charged).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom