Dashcam fitted to USB power on rear view mirror

OK. Good luck. There are a number of people on a Hyundai forum who have fallen foul of a dashcam draining the 12 volt. :)
I shall report back with how I get on when I eventually get the car... I'll come with humble pie if I have to get recovered because of it thats for sure, but having been in auto electronics before I am fairly confident that the battery will handle it, may change to a bigger battery if I feel the one supplied is small... there is no reason why it should have problems with it... the camera will only start recording if if detects a shunt to the car.

I shall report back with how I get on when I eventually get the car... I'll come with humble pie if I have to get recovered because of it thats for sure, but having been in auto electronics before I am fairly confident that the battery will handle it, may change to a bigger battery if I feel the one supplied is small... there is no reason why it should have problems with it... the camera will only start recording if if detects a shunt to the car.
Ah, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The 12 volt fitted is the cheapest and crappiest they can get away with. Not fit for purpose. I use a battery pack to power my dashcam when I'm away from the car. :)

Ah, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The 12 volt fitted is the cheapest and crappiest they can get away with. Not fit for purpose. I use a battery pack to power my dashcam when I'm away from the car. :)
In that case then I may opt for a higher capacity Li-Ion version and add a little bit of weight saving on there too, it's what I did to the motorcycle and have never had an issue with it.

I have front and rear cameras hard wired in to fuse box using a permanent supply and ignition supply so it automatically starts recording when driving and drops into motion activation when parked up

No problems as yet but it’s early days, I have set the camera to shutdown if battery voltage drops and lots of them will shutdown after a few days of no ignition activity anyway, this would only be an issue if the vehicle was parked up for long periods of time and the camera had no shutdown feature

I have front and rear cameras hard wired in to fuse box using a permanent supply and ignition supply so it automatically starts recording when driving and drops into motion activation when parked up

No problems as yet but it’s early days, I have set the camera to shutdown if battery voltage drops and lots of them will shutdown after a few days of no ignition activity anyway, this would only be an issue if the vehicle was parked up for long periods of time and the camera had no shutdown feature
Mind me asking what camera it is you went for? I have been looking around for the best solution and this seems to be ticking a lot of boxes for me so far

OK. Good luck. There are a number of people on a Hyundai forum who have fallen foul of a dashcam draining the 12 volt. :)
I must agree to a degree.

I had a dashcam in my previous diesel, i had it set to be directly on the 12V.

It had Stop/start, but one of the conditions were that the battery was atleast 80% full.

After mounting my camera i suddenly noticed that the car never did the auto-stop when stationary at a traffic light.

Wondered about that, and decided to try and move the dashcam to the switched live, a day or 2 after that the car started doing stop/start.

So to me, it was obvious that the dashcam was quite the power-hog, not to the point i ever had problems starting the car, but to the point where it would drain the battery to below 80% SOT.

In that case then I may opt for a higher capacity Li-Ion version and add a little bit of weight saving on there too, it's what I did to the motorcycle and have never had an issue with it.
Interesting, did you look at a specific battery ?

If you did, can you share the model number.

Interesting, did you look at a specific battery ?

If you did, can you share the model number.
I haven't settled on a particular one yet and am still doing my research into them as there are some very good and very intelligent ones out there, but of course like many a performance upgrade (yes they are classed as that in a lot of circles) they are quite a bit more money than a standard lead acid... depending on how much more might just be the difference between me choosing one of them or just a higher capacity lead acid... I don't know what the standard battery capacity in Ah is on the ZS but I can imagine that something like a 100Ah or a 150Ah would be a huge upgrade given the experiences that others have faced in this region.

I will start a new thread about upgrading the batteries on the cars.

What amp hour battery comes as standard on the Trophy connect?
Mine is a 63A, SAIC branded battery.

The battery tray is larger, in fact so much that it seems there is a strap lying loose in the tray next to the battery, that they were unable to strap on the battery because it does not fill the tray.

The battery is fastened though, just not with that strap.

I haven't settled on a particular one yet and am still doing my research into them as there are some very good and very intelligent ones out there, but of course like many a performance upgrade (yes they are classed as that in a lot of circles) they are quite a bit more money than a standard lead acid... depending on how much more might just be the difference between me choosing one of them or just a higher capacity lead acid... I don't know what the standard battery capacity in Ah is on the ZS but I can imagine that something like a 100Ah or a 150Ah would be a huge upgrade given the experiences that others have faced in this region.

I will start a new thread about upgrading the batteries on the cars.
I fitted a Viofo A129 front and rear cam as recommended by Tom's Man Shed on Youtube. I followed his instructions and hard wired the set up into the fuse box. In the Viofo kit there is a switch that enables you to set the 12v battery level below which the camera stops functioning. I have set mine to 12.4v. My camera has been running in sentry mode now for 4 months. No problems have arisen.

I fitted a Viofo A129 front and rear cam as recommended by Tom's Man Shed on Youtube. I followed his instructions and hard wired the set up into the fuse box. In the Viofo kit there is a switch that enables you to set the 12v battery level below which the camera stops functioning. I have set mine to 12.4v. My camera has been running in sentry mode now for 4 months. No problems have arisen.
This is great to know! That's the camera I'm planning to hardwire (assuming car turns up), and this feature was one of the reasons... Tom didn't note any issues on his gen 1 either.

Did it take you long to fit?

I've got a horrible feeling your 12 volt accessory battery won't like that. :)
Probably OK - my dashcam is permanently connected to the 12v socket in my phev. It will only come on, draw current and record if the car is disturbed. Using the USB by the mirror means unless the dashcam has good reserves in its own battery, it won't do that.

Mine is a 63A, SAIC branded battery.

The battery tray is larger, in fact so much that it seems there is a strap lying loose in the tray next to the battery, that they were unable to strap on the battery because it does not fill the tray.

The battery is fastened though, just not with that strap.
That is smaller than you get in 1L ice cars!! Even my old 1994 vauxhall nova had a bigger battery then that! 100% going to change that when it arrives

This is great to know! That's the camera I'm planning to hardwire (assuming car turns up), and this feature was one of the reasons... Tom didn't note any issues on his gen 1 either.

Did it take you long to fit?
It probably took me a morning, With the sunroof there is an easy run from back to front for the wiring. The A piller trim came off more easily than in Tom's video. The most difficult bit was tapping in to the fuse box. Not a technical problem but physically demanding. They have put the fuse box in a really difficult position. Design madness. Good luck.

That is smaller than you get in 1L ice cars!! Even my old 1994 vauxhall nova had a bigger battery then that! 100% going to change that when it arrives
I dont know what kind of battery you get in the UK, but i remember swapping the battery on older petrol cars, from a 40Ah to a 60Ah, and the only car i have ever owned with a larger battery was a diesel with Stop start, it had a 80Ah AGM battery.

In one old car i even had to bend down the ends of the battery tray to fit a 60Ah battery, as the tray was a bit to short to actually fit the battery inside.

Went for this combo. Mini end fits very snugly on the nextbase powered mount but not in a bad way. The two angled connectors give me some options when the car eventually arrives.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220421-201118.png
    Screenshot_20220421-201118.png
    470.7 KB · Views: 111
I may be a few mm out but from what I can see mine is mounted in the green zone on the attached picture. Mine is in the smaller green section below the mirror directly to the left of the red section…I have ordered a slightly longer cable - 30cm so that I can move it behind the mirror more and further out of sight….
Purely from an obstruction to my visibility, incIuding legality, would never position my dashcam on the driver's side. Left of the mirror at the top is much better.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom