Dashcam install power from interior lights

maverickz

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Finally completed the dash cam install over the weekend.
I took the power from the interior lights via a simple adaptor.

The install is simple, remove the interior lights, plug and play.
The back of the lights.
IMG_20230528_102032.jpg

With the adaptor, I wrapped all the wires and connectors with car loom tape to avoid any noise.
IMG_20230528_103832.jpg

I have found a profect location for the 12v-5v converter.
IMG_20230528_103706.jpg

The usb cable can easily go through the roof liner to the front windscreen. The second wire is for the rear camera(I will see whether I can get it through the roof liner from the back to the front when I install the powered rear gate.)
IMG_20230528_110228.jpg

Added bit lights to the cabin
IMG_20230528_212835.jpg

Last edited:
So you just pop the lighting section off and plug it in?

Was looking at a Garmin, Halfords £50 install but if it’s that easy…

So you just pop the lighting section off and plug it in?

Was looking at a Garmin, Halfords £50 install but if it’s that easy…
basically yes

I think its getting hold of the adapter thats the hard bit :D
I have a spare one right now, I'll put it on the sales section shortly.
to make one isn't that hard, just get the correct connector housings and crimps.

Its a shame that with all the cameras on the car (Trophy anyway) they couldn't include a looped recording device to save the images.
yes indeed , on bmw cars with 3d surround view you can record on the fly image by pushing the camera button real 40sec. and car crash always record 20sec back in time.

Is the power from the interior lights permanent so the parking mode on the dashcam works, or only powered when the car is 'ready'?

The intallation looks simple and nice, but I have no idea how to wire the connectors nor where to buy the set..

OK, I think I managed to find a similar product.
It powers from interior light and also includes a converter(step-down from 11~20v -> 5v), and your choice of the USB.

USB母头 : usb-a female
名爵木兰: MG Mulan(mg4's name in china)
解锁供电: power when the car unlocked

I may try to order now.

(hope adding a link is not a violation of the community rule.)

Attachments

• interior light harness.png
    interior light harness.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 226
I've been trying without success to get the plastic trim from around the interior mirror off to help with hiding my dashcam cables.

Any tips, I feel like its going to break

The Nextbase cameras have rechargeable batteries so when the car is off the camera will activate automatically if someone disturbs your car using its own battery. Also once you use this clever adapter your rear camera plugs into the front camera for power anyway! So this will do front & rear. Im googling one right now it’s brilliant is this it?

Universal Dash Cam Mini Micro Usb Hard Wire Cable Kit /3 - Temu United Kingdom

Last edited by a moderator:
How easy is it to remove the interior light unit? I was going to try today to have a look but we woke up this morning and it's about an inch of snow so too cold to got out and mess about.

Does the light unit pop off, or are their hidden screws?

Thanks

The light unit is very easy to remove ... open the glasses holder and remove the 2 screws therein, then use a spudger (trim removal tool) or something similar and prise open that opposite end. There are spring slips keeping it all up at the opposite end.

This is what the unit looks like when removed ... the 2 holes at the bottom are where the 2 screws came from. The spring clips are at the top and are partially hidden by the cables/wires.

1709378104161.png

@siteguru I don’t suppose you’ve tried taken the rear view mirror surround apart ?

I’m struggling and worried it’s going to break

Thanks

This week I am doing an interior light upgrade (Brought these little LED T10, the say 400 lumens but as with everything Amazon we shall wait and see), whilst do this I shall also get the light unit out and do the install for a dashcam taking the feed off the unit. I have lots of different 12-5v convertors and shall wire one up to a USB socket that will just pop out of the headlining above the mirror where you can't really see it.
I will be going with a USB-A socket and this is currently the most common type, beside my Nextbase dashcam had a USB Mini plug, so will use a small USB-A to USB mini cable.In the future if anything requires USB-C then I just need a different shote cable or get a simple USB-A to USB-C convertor to plug in.

I was wondering if one could also tap off the actual interior light feed cable to the bulb and route a spare cable down to the footwells, so some small LED could also be fitted there and they would also fade out just as the interior lights would do. Would it interfere with the canbus in anyway?

Also, what are the fuse position numbers for the interior lights?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom