Dashcam installation

lfc958

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Simple question regarding Rear Dashcam installation.

I have spoken to the dealer to install my 2 cameras, 1 front & 1 rear, been told that the rear camera cable they run under the head lining , however I mentioned that on our Yeti, the camera cable was tapped into the rear wiper motor as it was switched live, they had never heard of that.

Has anyone done this themselves ?

For power connection how did you do it ?.

T.I.A.

Simple question regarding Rear Dashcam installation.

I have spoken to the dealer to install my 2 cameras, 1 front & 1 rear, been told that the rear camera cable they run under the head lining , however I mentioned that on our Yeti, the camera cable was tapped into the rear wiper motor as it was switched live, they had never heard of that.

Has anyone done this themselves ?

For power connection how did you do it ?.

T.I.A.

I think most front/rear dashcam combos share the same power source (and data storage, aka SD card). As such, the rear camera is just an extension of the front camera (the front being the 'master', with the power and data). This being the case, the rear camera normally has a single cable to link it back to the front for power/data (and often run under the headliner).

My personal experience (and that of others, captured within this thread - Dashcam install ) is predominantly of this type of 'coupled' front/rear cameras.

Sounds like you're literally running 2x independent cameras, so I guess the data side (i.e. SD card) is local to the rear camera, and you simply need to find a power source for it, ideally locally.
Is that correct?
A boot cigarette/accessory socket would presumably be ideal, if the MG4 had one.

I think most front/rear dashcam combos share the same power source (and data storage, aka SD card). As such, the rear camera is just an extension of the front camera (the front being the 'master', with the power and data). This being the case, the rear camera normally has a single cable to link it back to the front for power/data (and often run under the headliner).

My personal experience (and that of others, captured within this thread - Dashcam install ) is predominantly of this type of 'coupled' front/rear cameras.

Sounds like you're literally running 2x independent cameras, so I guess the data side (i.e. SD card) is local to the rear camera, and you simply need to find a power source for it, ideally locally.
Is that correct?
A boot cigarette/accessory socket would presumably be ideal, if the MG4 had one.
Yes, I personally find the combo front / rear dash cam too large and obtrusive that's where I am guessing you are coming from in your 1st paragraph.

My cameras are Next Base cylinder shaped ones, the front will hide between rear view mirror and windscreen. Looking to have the rear located next to the rear brake light.
A bit reticent about the headlining coming down to run cable the length of the car to the fusebox however if the dealer does it, then if the headliner isn't fitted properly they know what they are doing :).

I got that 😁 it was more to confirm that you were seeking an alternative rear area power source given the MG4 doesn’t have a rear wiper.

When I installed my individual rear on my last four cars (no 12v rear socket or rear USB that powers down) it has been an extended lead tucked into the bottom hard plastic/rubber trims from front to rear on power source side

I got that 😁 it was more to confirm that you were seeking an alternative rear area power source given the MG4 doesn’t have a rear wiper.

When I installed my individual rear on my last four cars (no 12v rear socket or rear USB that powers down) it has been an extended lead tucked into the bottom hard plastic/rubber trims from front to rear on power source side
Thanks 👍 .

I guessed that your suggestion was an alternative to roof lining

A bit reticent about the headlining coming down to run cable the length of the car to the fusebox however if the dealer does it, then if the headliner isn't fitted properly they know what they are doing :).

Headliner shouldn't need to come down, you can just tuck the cable around the edge of it.

I imagine most people in this thread do not have the trophy model, but it's worth noting that the trophy has quote a lot of powered things that are in the rear tailgate:

• rear camera
  • led light bar thing (only on with the lights)
  • high level brake light (only on when braking)

Now, it's possible that the wiring is there even on non-trophy models, so this could maybe be used to power a rear camera.

I would see how easy it is to remove the large plastic planel that is on the inside of the tailgate, the panel which has the removable part for escaping the car when getting locked in :D

I'm going to see if I can remove this panel on mine, if I do find anything useful I'll see if I can grab a few pics and see if there are any good places to power a rear cam.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back