Dashcam with rear view camera affects DAB radio signal

dclholly

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR

I have just had a Nextbase dashcam installed with a rear view camera in my MG4. I had a similar system installed in my previous car (Audi A3 hybrid) and had an issue with the DAB radio signal being affected. I was assured that this was unusual but not unheard of. And guess what, I have the same issue with the MG4. The DAB radio is rendered virtually unusable with the rear view camera attached. Anyone have any ideas on what can be done to alleviate his problem?

I have just had a Nextbase dashcam installed with a rear view camera in my MG4. I had a similar system installed in my previous car (Audi A3 hybrid) and had an issue with the DAB radio signal being affected. I was assured that this was unusual but not unheard of. And guess what, I have the same issue with the MG4. The DAB radio is rendered virtually unusable with the rear view camera attached. Anyone have any ideas on what can be done to alleviate his problem?
Did they install the ferrite core

This link from a Ford forum might help…

No ferrite core that I'm aware of - I'll give that a try as I have some spare ones.
And yes, it is a wired rear facing camera.
I might try moving the camera if there is any excess cable but it's still going to be near the DAB ariel which I believe is the bottom couple of rows of wires in the back windscreen.

If you had it professionally installed I’d be querying with the installer, as Nextbase advises that their kits all come with a ferrite core.

I had the same issue with my golf and a wired rear camera.
I installed ferrite cores, no better.
Rerouted the cable away from the car loom, no better.
I lined the inside of the rear camera case with foil and connected it to the cable shield and that improved things greatly, though it was never as good as with the camera disconnected.

I have nextbase with front and rear. I had to fit a ferrite core to the rear camera. It solved the problem.
I can't remember the thickness of the lead to the rear camer. Could be 4mm or 4.5mm.

I had read that fitting the core to the start of the lead, where it comes out of the front camera should work but it didn't for me so had to fit it a few inches from the rear camera itself

Thanks all for this information. I have a Nextbase front and rear dashcam, I am looking for someone to install it.
What is a sensible price I need to pay?

Thanks all for this information. I have a Nextbase front and rear dashcam, I am looking for someone to install it.
What is a sensible price I need to pay?
I organised the installation of my NextBase cameras via their website. It went very smoothly and if I recall, the price was broadly the same as Halfords.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back