Dashcams - any successful installations or wise advice?

TimBA

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've been considering fitting a dash cam to my Mk1 5LR. When I mentioned this at the service desk of the MG dealer they advised against it because they said it might interfere with the operation of the lane keep & CC functions in the mirror mount. I think they implied some sort of radio interference.

1. Has anyone else been advised of this, or had interference problems caused by a dash cam?
2. If you have had a dash cam fitted and working successfully
  • what make did you go for
  • where did you mount it (left of the mirror mount at the top is in an unswept part of the windscreen)
  • what sort of installation did you go for (wired in or loose cables & 12v socket style)

Having just had to swerve rapidly to avoid someone cutting across in front of me from lane 3 to lane 2 on the M6 I'm even more disposed to try to get something installed!

Thanks.

Hi there

Planning to install one myself, I’ve been using dash cams for years in other cars, never had any issues with ‘interference’ with lane assist or otherwise.

Mickey

I put one in my HS at the weekend. I have a Thinkware F800 and took the easy option of using an OBD2 power cable. I have the camera mounted to the left of the big black housing, however the lens on my camera is also mounted to the left as well so the footage is not centered but it's sufficient. My camera is probably not the best for this car if I was starting again a Garmin Mini 2 around £100 would be my choice. This is down to its size, it would be easy to locate. The only issue is that Garmin don't do an OBD2 cable to power the camera and the internal fuse box is virtually inaccessible to normal humans :). I would probably pay to have it hardwired by a professional.

Hope this helps, I have had no issues with the lane assist or any other functions the in-built camera has.

Paul

I had mine installed hardwired by the dealer before collection when new. No bullsh*t about interfering with anything.

I put a dashcam in every vehicle I drive. I mostly use action cam gopro clones that have the overwrite feature needed for a dashcam (so when it fills the card it starts again at the beginning) and set the video quality to either 720p or 1080p which are good enough for dashcam.
Currently the cam is powered from the 12v socket, wire fed along under the glovebox and up behind the trim to left of the mirror and mounted on the windscreen. In this spot it's hidden from my view so not distracting.
I've never had much luck with 'proper' dashcams, there's always some fault or a niggle that annoys me.

I've been considering fitting a dash cam to my Mk1 5LR. When I mentioned this at the service desk of the MG dealer they advised against it because they said it might interfere with the operation of the lane keep & CC functions in the mirror mount. I think they implied some sort of radio interference.
sounds like absolute bolox

i have very much the cheep and cheerful version, wired into 12v port on dash, wires just tucked away and stuck on windscreen behind the rear view mirror.
my camera cost me a whole £13 from robert dyas in one of their many sales but its enough for peace of mind given the amount of bad driving out there!

Thanks for all the replies so far, and for confirming my suspicion about the ‘interference’ thing.

I always fit a dashcam or two in my cars. In the MG5 I've installed a Viofo including GPS mount in the front, so it only needs a power supply. I've run the cable to the 12V socket, so that I don't interfere with the car's wiring. I don't wire in fully, as I don't need the parking modes and don't wish to risk draining the battery.

It's installed on the drivers side, so that it's within the sweep of the wipers. As the unit is small and discrete, it doesn't block my vision.

Last edited:
I fitted a Viofo front and rear in mine, bit of a faff getting the cable through to the tailgate but most cars are. Lighter socket fuse for the switched and the car seat fuse for the continuous as neither of these are monitored by the ECU. Remove the trim under the Steering wheel to get good access to the fuse box

It's not entirely bo***cks about the lane keeping but you would have to be pretty stupid to put the camera in so that it compromised it. The shroud around the base ot the mirror contains the camera system so if make sure the DCam is well up to the top of the screen one side or other there is no problem. Just don't put it up too high or the DCam will be looking at the black/dotted edging.

I put mine on the passenger side to ensure I would fall foul of the rules about obstructing the drivers view

1. Has anyone else been advised of this, or had interference problems caused by a dash cam?
  • where did you mount it (left of the mirror mount at the top is in an unswept part of the windscreen)
  • what sort of installation did you go for (wired in or loose cables & 12v socket style)

Having just had to swerve rapidly to avoid someone cutting across in front of me from lane 3 to lane 2 on the M6 I'm even more disposed to try to get something installed!

Thanks.
I think the service desk is talking a lot of bull...on my second MG and never had a problem with LKA
what I do have a problem with is the suction wont stay fixed in hot weather anyone have advice ?

I think the service desk is talking a lot of bull...on my second MG and never had a problem with LKA
what I do have a problem with is the suction wont stay fixed in hot weather anyone have advice ?
That's one of the reasons that I like Viofo and - previously - Apeman. The attach very securely using pads which are very difficult to get off. And by fitting so close to the windscreen, they don't wobble around. The Viofo mount has GPS built in, if required.

Sook harder my friend 🤣
But seriously - my rear screen camera fell off umpteen times last year til I finally used a bit of “sticks like excrement” double sided tape.

Thanks.
I’ve installed a Thinkware 750 front and rear cameras unit hard wired to the fusebox. Front cam mounted to the left of the “box behind the mirror” and in the wiper swept area of screen. The rear cam is central in the tailgate screen.
I had this set up in my last Citroen Berlingo and then in my MG ZS.

internal fuse box is virtually inaccessible to normal humans :). I would probably pay to have it hardwired by a professional.

On the Pre facelift MG5 it's a pain, but it's far from impossible, ideally you need a couple Pry tools and to be careful with the dashboard clips. (I had to dismantle my MG5 lower dash to replace the fuse for the 12v socket after managing to drop a USB cable in it)

Sook harder my friend 🤣
But seriously - my rear screen camera fell off umpteen times last year til I finally used a bit of “sticks like excrement” double sided tape.

I’ve installed a Thinkware 750 front and rear cameras unit hard wired to the fusebox. Front cam mounted to the left of the “box behind the mirror” and in the wiper swept area of screen. The rear cam is central in the tailgate screen.
I had this set up in my last Citroen Berlingo and then in my MG ZS.
where do you get this smelly tape Archev ?

Somebody on the forums recommended this stuff on Amazon, reference B08C782M3V

Interesting to read the replies , let us know how you get on TimBA, I still haven’t ordered my Dashcam but think I’ve settled on getting a Viofo or a Go Pro clone (better picture?) especially after watching this video where they discover the same kind of SOC chip & lens is in most Dashcams!
Everyone is wasting money on Dashcam’s

How did anyone deal with the rear privacy window film when fitting a rear camera ? I presume you cut a tiny hole?

Last edited:
I did bad #Edoc I’m sorry 😢
when I went out to the glory hole aka garage to check the tape again I found it was Gorrilla double sided mounting tape I had used. I cleaned the surfaces with alcohol ( not the Fiddich or Bunnahabhain falling over essence )
Bunnahabhain Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky | Bunnahabhain
Unfortunately I only have the bottle of Gorilla at hand but aint using that but... thx anyway Arch

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom