Dealer unaware of MG ZS EV updates

John Arnold

Established Member
Reaction score
My ZS EV EXCLUSIVE is due it’s first service soon. Had the Comfort 2 done and very happy with that. I think I heard of a HV fuse change also a way to allow charging with doors open. Is that right and what are they called. My dealer has no idea what I’m talking about.
Any idea please.

How many times are we going to hear that "The dealer has no idea what i'm talking about", I do not accept this avoidance.
Every time I have ever had an issue with a car it's always, "The first time I have seen this guv'nor" even if the whole of the rest of the world knows it.
These are car dealers, they are trained to not know anything about their product after they have sold it to you.

Sorry to be so cynical, but life's like that.

How many times are we going to hear that "The dealer has no idea what i'm talking about", I do not accept this avoidance.
Every time I have ever had an issue with a car it's always, "The first time I have seen this guv'nor" even if the whole of the rest of the world knows it.
These are car dealers, they are trained to not know anything about their product after they have sold it to you.

Sorry to be so cynical, but life's like that.
I agree. They have had little information about the car. I feel that I have had to led them by the hand. I have now gone to the major dealerships to see if they have better knowledge. Not expecting much better.

My ZS EV Exclusive was booked into Perrys Preston for tomorrow morning for the BMS 2 and HV Fuse updates.
The car is just 6 weeks old and although has the Comfort 2 update it hasn't got the BMS 2 for certain so I guess it hasn't had the HV Fuse either.
I received a phone call this evening telling me NOT to make the journey as their SIP computer system has problems upgrading and it will take 10 days to fix.
Yet again another delay in getting these two updates done to my new car.

My ZS EV Exclusive was booked into Perrys Preston for tomorrow morning for the BMS 2 and HV Fuse updates.
The car is just 6 weeks old and although has the Comfort 2 update it hasn't got the BMS 2 for certain so I guess it hasn't had the HV Fuse either.
I received a phone call this evening telling me NOT to make the journey as their SIP computer system has problems upgrading and it will take 10 days to fix.
A?ll very frustrating. Wish dealers could get their act together and not rely on owners like us to inform them.

A?ll very frustrating. Wish dealers could get their act together and not rely on owners like us to inform them.
Hi John,
Your right, they don’t seem to know what they are doing except for Chorley Motors who have been selling MG for some time now and are very good. Its just frustrating for me as these updates should have been done in the pre-delivery check and wasn’t, but all I got from Perry’s Service when I asked them about them was “we don’t go off what these forums say, we only go off what MG tell us to do” which I found quite insulting to every one of us who probably know more than they do. It was only after contacting Perry’s Head Office that I got to book my car in for today, then they postponed it due to problems with their computer updates, which tells me they where ill prepared in the first place.

To be fair to some of the other MG dealers, Chroley have long been in the EV game with Leafs and Hyundai’s, so have a service department that know how to deal with EVs. It’s why I chose them and know how passionate Miles Roberts is on EVs.

i would look to align myself with a dealer that is part of a group that has other EVs in their dealer network (so Nissan, Renault, Kia, Hyundai) this will somewhat hedge your bets when it comes to servicing.

To be fair to some of the other MG dealers, Chroley have long been in the EV game with Leafs and Hyundai’s, so have a service department that know how to deal with EVs. It’s why I chose them and know how passionate Miles Roberts is on EVs.

i would look to align myself with a dealer that is part of a group that has other EVs in their dealer network (so Nissan, Renault, Kia, Hyundai) this will somewhat hedge your bets when it comes to servicing.
Yes I totally agree with your comments re- Chorley Motors, I forgot to add to my last post that I have also taken out my service contract with them too.

In my area of Lancashire, up to to July of this year, Chorley MG in Chorley was the only dealer coming up on my dealer search as nearest to Blackpool.

Since then, Perry's of Preston who indeed deal with many brands of cars including the ones mentioned in your post, have added MG to their impressive list.

They admitted to me that MG is very new to them and Technicians are being trained with MG right now down in Birmingham on the MG EV's.

One guy admitted that the pre-delivery checks for my vehicle actually had to be done in their Kia Workshop as they had all the computer equipment over there and they didn't have the same facility in the Vauxhall / MG Workshop to deal with SIP Software Updates at this time.

I think the further delay to my updates may be due to them now moving forward to update the MG Workshop to accommodate this, but I could be wrong on this assumption, but I am sure things are finally moving forward at long last to getting them done.

I don't think you need the HV fuse update as the car is only 6 weeks old, it only affects cars made before 30/06/2020 IIRC.

Is there a way to tell when the car has been manufactured, I pick mine up next monday from Chorley Burnley but it could have been sat in a warehouse for a year for all i know ?

I don't think you need the HV fuse update as the car is only 6 weeks old, it only affects cars made before 30/06/2020 IIRC.
I suppose it all depends on how long it took to get the car from the production line to the UK really. If it only effects cars made before June 2020 that only gives 2.5 months to ship them to the UK as I picked my car up on the 26th September 2020, I remember it well, it so exciting, my first new car in over 15 years LOL!

Is there a way to tell when the car has been manufactured, I pick mine up next monday from Chorley Burnley but it could have been sat in a warehouse for a year for all i know ?
I would be interested in any information on an easy/reliable way to identify date of manufacture too.

That is on the sticker at one of the front doors,

here in the netherlands it is the passenger side

That is on the sticker at one of the front doors,

here in the netherlands it is the passenger side
Just has a look on both front doors, only a sticker with Chassis Number, Colour etc. but no date unless its in code of course. AND Tyre Pressure label, but couldn't find the date of manufacture. 😔

Just has a look on both front doors, only a sticker with Chassis Number, Colour etc. but no date unless its in code of course. AND Tyre Pressure label, but couldn't find the date of manufacture. 😔
2020-11-11 19.37.54.jpg

our car was made in December 2019,
and purchased in June 2020
So by shipping from China to Europe, the car has been in storage for a while

Last edited:
View attachment 811
our car was made in December 2019,
and purchased in June 2020
So by shipping from China to Europe, the car has been in storage for a while
Looks like MG Motor UK doesn’t want us to know when the car was made. No date on the UK label whatsoever.

Attachments

• 1D83D552-673B-4385-A2CF-1D5E35822B4F.jpeg
    1D83D552-673B-4385-A2CF-1D5E35822B4F.jpeg
    509.8 KB · Views: 497
I'm not sure about MG UK's VIN number format, but by comparing it to other manufacturers, the 9th character could be the month, and the 10th sates the year of production (some letters like I are skipped to avoid confusion with digits).
It seems that your MG's VIN is similar format to Chevrolet.

So FL = June, 2020
Make sense?

source:

Last edited:
I'm not sure about MG UK's VIN number format, but by comparing it to other manufacturers, the 9th character could be the month, and the 10th sates the year of production (some letters like I are skipped to avoid confusion with digits).
It seems that your MG's VIN is similar format to Chevrolet.

So FL = June, 2020
Make sense?

source:
It all looks chinese to me lol (pardon the pun), and thanks for that post, I will wait now to see which updates the car has in due course, but it definitely doesn’t have the BMS 2 one as following the guides from other members, I cannot charge my ZS EV with the doors unlocked. Will keep you all informed as and when Perry’s call me to take the car in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom