Default Settings

Sabsack

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All,

Been a long time since ive been on the MG forum (Rover/MG Days) however I have recently been given an MG4 as a company car, not by choice i might add - I dont like it but im stuck with it.

Why when i change settings and turn off things like "Lane" sorry Suicide Control & AEB (more like smash your face on the steering wheel break because the cars sensors are shockingly S**T. why every time P is pressed these settings are resetting back to the defaults as on... this is ridiculous. if you choose to turn a setting off then it should stay off until either turned back on manually or the system has been fully reset back to factory settings...?

Honestly for a car that sits in the £30k - £40k price range the design, build quality, attention to details are shocking. How this car won awards i dont know, clearly people being paid off. - Sorry but this is not an MG in the slightest - one of the worst cars i have even driven and ive driven some bad cars lol

seen on another thread, the Nav permissions bug - Yep i have this issue also, and for the life of me i cannot find the tick box to allow the Nav app permissions.

Changing the Charging options - Why when the car has a charging and battery widget have MG hidden the option to be able to actually charge at a higher kW 15kw-50KW - The setting is hidden in the Nav settings ??? facepalm ??? oh thats right i cant get into the Nav to change this setting so im stuck at charging at only 6.6kw

I was handed the Car on Friday - its taken 1 weekend to hate everything about this car....

however one thing that is only slightly positive is on Friday afternoon it was raining and due to the poor design, small wheels and being rear wheel drive and an ev in the wet it would give a BMW a run for its money in Drift mode hahahaha NOT its a death trap, its tried to kill me twice and smashed my face on the steering wheel.

Lane Assist and Front Collision Alert default to ON in all new cars now. Legal requirement to get the desired safety certification.

Early MG4s could have it turned off permanently, but when their software was updated it started to default to ON like the new cars. The default is not an MG thing, it's across the board and you'll find every new/updated car does it.

Problems with the functioning of these systems are a different matter. Many people have complained of problems, but others do not. Lane Assist is reported to be fine by people with a recent software update. (I don't know, I just turn mine off as part of the pre-flight routine.) I don't turn the Front Collision Alert off because it has only activated twice with me, and both times for understandable reasons. I think there's something out of adjustment if it keeps activating.

Lane Assist and Front Collision Alert default to ON in all new cars now. Legal requirement to get the desired safety certification.

Early MG4s could have it turned off permanently, but when their software was updated it started to default to ON like the new cars. The default is not an MG thing, it's across the board and you'll find every new/updated car does it.

Problems with the functioning of these systems are a different matter. Many people have complained of problems, but others do not. Lane Assist is reported to be fine by people with a recent software update. (I don't know, I just turn mine off as part of the pre-flight routine.) I don't turn the Front Collision Alert off because it has only activated twice with me, and both times for understandable reasons. I think there's something out of adjustment if it keeps activating.
Surely MG and other Manufactures can allow the option to disable those settngs until manually re-enabled or a factory reset is carried out...? Tesla allow this..? I know as my previous car was a Model 3..?

What matters is when the model was NCAP certified, not when any specific car was built. The MG4 was NCAP-certified after the NCAP rules changed to require LKA etc. to default to On. So a model that was certified before the rule change but built after that, can still support setting LKA etc. to Off and retain the setting.

As time moves on and models are refreshed (and submitted for NCAP certification) then those models will ALL require to have LKA etc. default to On, else they won't achieve 5 star NCAP.

What matters is when the model was NCAP certified, not when any specific car was built. The MG4 was NCAP-certified after the NCAP rules changed to require LKA etc. to default to On. So a model that was certified before the rule change but built after that, can still support setting LKA etc. to Off and retain the setting.

As time moves on and models are refreshed (and submitted for NCAP certification) then those models will ALL require to have LKA etc. default to On, else they won't achieve 5 star NCAP.
Thank you for this i was completely unaware and now after looking into the NCAP in more detail i can see that millions of people inc reviews at how dangerous Lane Assist etc actually is. clearly the tech being used for this is not intelligent enough for this to be considered with-in the Safety parameters of NCAP. what is internest is Tesla is excluded from the EURO NCAP with regards to these settings being always on as Default and resets to ON for each journey
Tesla have the default option as On but drivers are allowed to manually disable and remians disabled. ??? Some under the table deal possibly ???

It's not that big a deal to switch it off at the beginning of every journey. You get used to doing it, takes a few seconds. It stops being an irritation quite quickly.

From Tesla's own website on Model Y lane keep:
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is automatically enabled at the beginning of every drive. You can turn it off for the current drive only by touching Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance.

If it can be turned off permanently its either a software bug or it has not being flagged to NCAP. As they got 4/4 on Lane Support category for the Y.

Strange that my Trophy, OCT 22, the LKA and most other settings I switched off have stayed off.
I thought after it had R33 update and Lock in updates it may revert to how others are finding.
However it hasnt and my LKA etc stay off?

I’ve had an MG4 for four weeks now, and I’m shocked at how bad the lane assist and front assist are. Like others above, I’ve had to resort to spending a few moments turning these (and the terrible speed limit detection) off every time before I drive. I’m really surprised that these reset each time you get in the car. Supposedly it’s for the NCAP safety reasons as you say, but to me, in certain situations, they’re actually causing the danger themselves.

My worst experience a few days ago was when I was travelling at 30mph in a village and I was approaching a road on the right which I needed to take. I indicated and slowed, but as there was oncoming traffic I knew I’d need to come to a complete stop and wait. At something like 5 or 10mph it just slammed on the brakes and did an emergency stop. There was absolutely nothing in front of me. I can only assume it thought I was going to turn into the oncoming traffic. My two daughters in the back were shocked (as was I). Luckily no other car was too close behind me or there’s a chance they’d have hit me from behind.

I’ve emailed MG UK about it and despite a detailed response, they basically just said the car must have seen a danger that I was unaware of. Well no MG, there was nothing.

Im lucky my early se now defaults LKA to off. I'm tempted to tell MG not to do updates when it has service in case that changes. Drove a Mustang Mach E recently and LKA was pretty annoying on that too so as others have stated its not just MG. I think MG is on the more aggressive side though tbh...

I’ve had an MG4 for four weeks now, and I’m shocked at how bad the lane assist and front assist are. Like others above, I’ve had to resort to spending a few moments turning these (and the terrible speed limit detection) off every time before I drive. I’m really surprised that these reset each time you get in the car. Supposedly it’s for the NCAP safety reasons as you say, but to me, in certain situations, they’re actually causing the danger themselves.

My worst experience a few days ago was when I was travelling at 30mph in a village and I was approaching a road on the right which I needed to take. I indicated and slowed, but as there was oncoming traffic I knew I’d need to come to a complete stop and wait. At something like 5 or 10mph it just slammed on the brakes and did an emergency stop. There was absolutely nothing in front of me. I can only assume it thought I was going to turn into the oncoming traffic. My two daughters in the back were shocked (as was I). Luckily no other car was too close behind me or there’s a chance they’d have hit me from behind.

I’ve emailed MG UK about it and despite a detailed response, they basically just said the car must have seen a danger that I was unaware of. Well no MG, there was nothing.
Contact your dealer to make sure the latest LKA software update has been installed and get them to realign the camera.

As the title suggests...default settings, my real bug bear is that regenerative settings and drive modes are not retained between trips. I know you can save one or the other to be a shortcut button, but that leaves the other tucked away in the system.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back