Delay paying £190 car tax on EV until April 2026 (action needed before the end of March 2024)

Interesting, I have my V11 received just a couple of days back and when I go to tax using V5C details it is saying Your vehicle will be taxed from 01 April 2024. What happens if I just re-tax in Feb 2025 or is it worth going down to SORN route and re-tax..? Can I keep my vehicle in my drive way if the vehile is SORN?

If like me you get:

Successful application already completed
This vehicle has been taxed or notified as off the road within the last 5 days.

Try again 6 days after you taxed it before going down the SORN route. My 5 days are up tomorrow so I'll soon find out if that works.
Just tried to tax my car again after the 5 days are up and it seems to have accepted the application. Now just waiting to see if the change appears on their system.

Just tried to tax my car again after the 5 days are up and it seems to have accepted the application. Now just waiting to see if the change appears on their system.

Yay! No SORN needed. I just waited until the five days was up from when I originally taxed the car using the code on the letter, and did it again. It warned me twice I might lose my money(!) because the car was already taxed to April 2025, but when I said I was OK with that it went through. Taxed till March 2025 now.

Interesting, I have my V11 received just a couple of days back and when I go to tax using V5C details it is saying Your vehicle will be taxed from 01 April 2024. What happens if I just re-tax in Feb 2025 or is it worth going down to SORN route and re-tax..? Can I keep my vehicle in my drive way if the vehile is SORN?

I think we have now established that there is no need to SORN. Just wait till the five days have expired and do it again.

Nope. Mine still says Tax due 1st April 2025. I'll leave it until February next year and if necessary I'll SORN it and have a another go.
Mind you there's a chance it'll change again after the election.

Nope. Mine still says Tax due 1st April 2025. I'll leave it until February next year and if necessary I'll SORN it and have a another go.
OK.. so you mean retaxing after 5 days not showing any change..?

I certainly worked when I did it. After five days of being blocked by a screen saying the car had been taxed or SORNed within the past five days, it let me re-enter the details using the reg number and the vehicle registration certificate, and it all went through.

I
Been posted before :)

I initially posted it in both MG4 and MG5 forums, but Rolfe merged them into the Chat forum.

I certainly worked when I did it. After five days of being blocked by a screen saying the car had been taxed or SORNed within the past five days, it let me re-enter the details using the reg number and the vehicle registration certificate, and it all went through.
I glad you sorted it out Rolfe.

Hi.. looks like you have tried the both.. I got the v11 and when trying to tax it is showing valid till 1st April 2025.. what you suggest the best procedure to follow..?

Keep telling it you want to continue and tax the car again. It will tell you a couple of times you might lose money because the car is already taxed, but just keep clicking yes I want to do this.

🥳 It's gone through. Just checked this morning and it's now showing tax due 1st March 2025.

The system must have been overloaded by all those pesky EV drivers trying to avoid 11 months of road tax 🤣

Hi Ian - Thanks for the info.
When I renewed my road tax last Friday ( 8th March ) it displayed a tax due date of 1st April 25.
One week later I have gone back on-line and tried renewing my road tax once again.
It has accepted the renewal and now states that the car is taxed for 12 months and valid from 1st March 2024.
Therefore my understanding is that the renewals will be sent out early March 2025 ready for taxing for the 1st March 2025.
I will recheck the system tomorrow, to see if it has updated with the date change, like yourself.
Thank you (y) .

Last edited:
Typo? Renewals in 2025 should arrive in February 2025 ready for tax to be effective from 1st March 2025. (A renewal is always in advance, else the tax would expire and so you'd be driving an untaxed vehicle until such time as you "paid" the VED). :)

Typo? Renewals in 2025 should arrive in February 2025 ready for tax to be effective from 1st March 2025. (A renewal is always in advance, else the tax would expire and so you'd be driving an untaxed vehicle until such time as you "paid" the VED). :)
One week ago it stated as follows :- "Taxed - Tax due "1st April 2025" after I renewed it.
Below, is the screen shot taken from my latest renewal done only today ( one week later ).
"Valid for 12 months from the 1st March 2024".
This appears correct now I think ?.
The system is currently showing the previous date of April 2025 until it updates (maybe over night).

EV TAX S.S. 2024-03-15 at 15.22.51.png

"

I was correcting your assertion that next year's renewal will arrive in March 2025 - it won't, it'll arrive in February next year. (Assuming that the system shows your car as being taxed from 01 March 2024). Renewals always arrive (if they do, not everyone seems to get one) a few weeks before the tax is due. It has to else you could end up driving an untaxed vehicle. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom